The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rohitronaldo
Uhh so you're carrying forward Maths, Further Maths and Economics to A2. Hmm some of them in specific, LSE might perceive that as being narrow subject choices.

With regards, to Oxford you would need to prepare well for the TSA because a decent score in that is what assures you of an interview - your grades and personal statement don't help much when you're up against everyone else with similar grades.

Also, applying for E&M to Oxford and then a course like A&F to LSE will be quite difficult to pull off with one personal statement. I suggest that you apply to a similar range of courses that you can address with one personal statement. If you need anymore specific details about Oxford or LSE, feel free to PM me :smile:

Yeah as long as I get an A in my AS Further Maths, I'll continue with that.. If not, ill continue with Music and drop FM.
So I'm thinking I might just leave LSE/UCL and apply for E+M at Oxford, which I probably have a better chance of getting into, as I'm good at selling myself (and have a personality!
Then my other applications will be at the likes of Birmingham and Nottingham.. I like the look of International Relations with Economics at Birmingham.
But doesn't Nottingham look for 7/8 A* at GCSE? :frown:
No, it's worth applying to Notts with your gcses
Reply 1542
Course: Economics and Politics
University: University of Bath
Offer: 38 points in IB (include 6 6 6 in HL subjects, 6 in HL mathematics and 5 in SL english)

University: University of Bristol
Offer: 36 points in IB (include 5 6 6 in HL subjects, 6 in HL mathematics)

Course: Economics
University: University College London (UCL)
Offer: 39 points in IB (include 7 7 6 in HL subjects, 7 in HL mathematics and 6 in HL Econs)

Still waiting for LSE!!!!!!!!!
Anyone got any reply from them yet :O?
(edited 13 years ago)
I was rejected by Nottingham, so i sent them an email asking why, they replied today saying they got an unusual number of candidates with very good grades and it was just a matter of numbers. Therefore those of you with good grades who also got a rejection, don't feel bad about it :smile:
Reply 1544
Original post by PaperSnowAGhost!
I was rejected by Nottingham, so i sent them an email asking why, they replied today saying they got an unusual number of candidates with very good grades and it was just a matter of numbers. Therefore those of you with good grades who also got a rejection, don't feel bad about it :smile:

Hey, who did you send it to exactly? was it someone called jo morgan?
Original post by Trece13
Hey, who did you send it to exactly? was it someone called jo morgan?

I sent it to Nottingham uni but i got a reply from Jo Morgan.
Original post by shay_5293
Haha thats jokes. I applied to ucl, warwick, bath, notts, leicester

UCL and Warwick i havent heard from
Notts - unsuccessful
Bath - offer A*AA
Leicester - ABB

I applied to UCL, Warwick, Bath, Nottingham, Birmingham.. Only one rejection from Nottingham so far. After two and a half months of checking UCAS everyday.. P'take really, ha. Makes you kinda feel we're gonna get rejections from UCL/Warwick, hahah. Ah well, they're sh*t anyway. :wink: Congrats on the offers though, at least I have a chance with Bath/Birmingham. :smile:
Original post by ellie_velvet
I applied to UCL, Warwick, Bath, Nottingham, Birmingham.. Only one rejection from Nottingham so far. After two and a half months of checking UCAS everyday.. P'take really, ha. Makes you kinda feel we're gonna get rejections from UCL/Warwick, hahah. Ah well, they're sh*t anyway. :wink: Congrats on the offers though, at least I have a chance with Bath/Birmingham. :smile:

yeah i was thinking that ucl/warwick likely to be rejections, but the way its gone we could get in. Its funny that we've got 4/5 sme choices lol. Good luck with ur application anyway, and hopefully we both get into warwick/ucl.
Original post by joshgoldman
Yeah as long as I get an A in my AS Further Maths, I'll continue with that.. If not, ill continue with Music and drop FM.
So I'm thinking I might just leave LSE/UCL and apply for E+M at Oxford, which I probably have a better chance of getting into, as I'm good at selling myself (and have a personality!
Then my other applications will be at the likes of Birmingham and Nottingham.. I like the look of International Relations with Economics at Birmingham.
But doesn't Nottingham look for 7/8 A* at GCSE? :frown:

That's just rumour. From what I've seen on here more people with less A*s seem to be getting offers than people with more A*s...
Someone with 8A*s and good subjects was rejected, then someone with 3 was accepted, so I dont think A*s at GCSE come into it as much as people claim
Original post by PaperSnowAGhost!
I sent it to Nottingham uni but i got a reply from Jo Morgan.

She hasn't replied to me yet :mad:
I really can't be bothered with the standard 'lots of applicants' bull if that is the reply, there is a reason why those few applicants got in instead of me and I just want to know it. ie. gcse results, as results, personal statement etc. (especially if it's personal statement issues because if I miss my grades this year, at least I can improve my ps)
Reply 1550
Anyone else with an offer from Newcastle? :smile:
Unconditional from Birmingham today :smile:
Original post by WG Lim
University: University of Bath
Offer: 38 points in IB (include 6 6 6 in HL subjects, 6 in HL mathematics and 5 in SL english)

University: University of Bristol
Offer: 36 points in IB (include 5 6 6 in HL subjects, 6 in HL mathematics)

Course: Economics
University: University College London (UCL)
Offer: 39 points in IB (include 7 7 6 in HL subjects, 7 in HL mathematics and 6 in HL Econs)

Still waiting for LSE!!!!!!!!!
Anyone got any reply from them yet :O?

oh! congratulation, when do you send the ucas form. I sent it from the start of November and nothing I receive so far. It makes me so nervous
I've just received an offer from Durham. Is durham econ good?
Original post by zanahoria
I've just received an offer from Durham. Is durham econ good?

Yes, Durham is good for Economics..

Shouldn't you have researched before you applied!

(Congrats on the offer)
Reply 1555
I am still waiting for a reply for Bristol for economics and econometrics does that mean it is a rejection! has anyone got offers! i have an offer from Manchester for AAA and royal holloway for ABB!!
durham or nottingham?

who prefers one over the other?
Original post by Glen_Nichols
I found the talk really boring. 2h straight without a break. They seemed to focus so much on the league tables,' OMG we were second one year!!'. I quite liked the walk around campus though. Shame it was like 85% male :frown:

Surrey is my insurance, AAB (higher than everyone else's offer! But, still grateful to have it). Going to the Bristol open day on March 9, my firm I think :biggrin:

I couldn't agree more about the 2 hours straight talks. The projectors weren't working, and the first talk was so fixated on league tables, then when answering questions admitted they move around anyway.
Original post by simonc1993
She hasn't replied to me yet :mad:
I really can't be bothered with the standard 'lots of applicants' bull if that is the reply, there is a reason why those few applicants got in instead of me and I just want to know it. ie. gcse results, as results, personal statement etc. (especially if it's personal statement issues because if I miss my grades this year, at least I can improve my ps)

In my reply she did actually say she looked back at my application, but said there was nothing wrong with it. The figures she gave suggested there were 3 times the amount of good candidates grades wise than there were offers she was allowed to give out - so it really was down to competition in the end.
Original post by joshgoldman
Yes, Durham is good for Economics..

Shouldn't you have researched before you applied!

(Congrats on the offer)

I've actually researched quite a lot, as you can see in my university lists... they are all good unis. Well, I'm still doubting in Durham econ because some people say that its not as good because they have less quantitive materials. Their Econ is BA and Bsc. And some other people on the other hand say they are as good as others regardless BA. I'm still not sure which side is right. Do you have the answer?? :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending