The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medicine Applicants 2011 :D

Scroll to see replies

Just wondering, :biggrin: did anyone have an interview today and (not to be mean or anything) smell that guy, was disgusting? :s-smilie:
Reply 681
Original post by Fusilero
We secretly want to go to Manchester but don't like the PBL of their preclinicals :ninja:

J/K :tongue:

I wish St Andrews had clinicals themselves, would be cool to stay there 6 years :frown:

True! :biggrin:
so basically anyone without an interview at this stage is rejected? :frown:
Original post by Fusilero
We secretly want to go to Manchester but don't like the PBL of their preclinicals :ninja:

J/K :tongue:

I wish St Andrews had clinicals themselves, would be cool to stay there 6 years :frown:

Hey congrats on your offers!! Which one is your first choice?
so basically anyone without an interview at this stage is rejected?

I'm sure that's not true :smile: I was convinced St.A were going to reject my any day but then I found an interview invite on tuesday :biggrin: Shows they're still being given out! My interview is on the 9th of March and I think they interview later than that...
the last interview date is like the 18th march or then abouts, and interviews are usually given with at least two weeks warning, so in theory interviews could then be still given out until early march.
Reply 686
Original post by KCosmo
I'm just curious, but why is it that, proportionally, more English students apply to St Andrew's than any other Scottish university? Obviously it's a great uni, but so are Edinburgh and Glasgow, as well as all the great english ones. It's a good thing that so many people from different backgrounds can mix at the one uni, but it's odd that quite so many english students choose St Andrew's as their "Scottish choice" if you like :P Just curious!

St Andrews is considered very elite from a southerners point of view, Glasgow isn't seen as such a great uni, mainly probs because it has a reputation of crime! Edinburgh is really liked but they are prejudice against southerners, the times did an article on it saying how bias Edinburgh are to Scottish students, I think they say it on the website as well.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 687
Original post by ryan118244
St Andrews is considered very elite from a southerners point of view, Glasgow isn't seen as such a great uni, mainly probs because it has a reputation of crime! Edinburgh is really liked but they are prejudice against southerners, the times did an article on it saying how bias Edinburgh are to Scottish students, I think they web say it on tree website.

Interesting :P I'd say in Scotland (or at least in my school) Glasgow and Edinburgh are considered top, with Edinburgh coming first. St Andrew's is an anomaly to most people, probably because of it's isolated location and it's apparent fetish for Southerners :P It's kind of seen as the "posh uni" if you know what I mean! But having visited myself it seems fantastic, I'm not sure why more people I know don't apply to it :P Haha, I thought you might say that about Glasgow :P As a native Glaswegian I can tell you that it's actually pretty friendly. Or equally as a native Glaswegian I could "persuade" you that it's friendly by force! :biggrin:
in my school edinburgh and st andrews are the top (glasgows probably third, although i dont really see the appeal myself), with st andrews probably first. a lot of people i know applied to st andrews with no intention of going, just to see if they would get in :tongue:
Reply 689
Original post by atomos
in my school edinburgh and st andrews are the top (glasgows probably third, although i dont really see the appeal myself), with st andrews probably first. a lot of people i know applied to st andrews with no intention of going, just to see if they would get in :tongue:

Any chance you could persuade your friends to withdraw their applications to make it easier for us? :tongue:
Original post by KCosmo
Any chance you could persuade your friends to withdraw their applications to make it easier for us? :tongue:

sadly none of them are applying for medicine though, darn! :tongue:
in fact, only one other person from my school has applied for med
Original post by resortini
Just wondering, :biggrin: did anyone have an interview today and (not to be mean or anything) smell that guy, was disgusting? :s-smilie:

I was there on the second of february for the interview! Which guy is it? :smile:
can someone please email them asking about the ukcat cutoff?
Reply 693
Original post by garlicbreadman
can someone please email them asking about the ukcat cutoff?

Are you too busy on TSR to do that yourself?
Reply 694
Original post by KCosmo
Interesting :P I'd say in Scotland (or at least in my school) Glasgow and Edinburgh are considered top, with Edinburgh coming first. St Andrew's is an anomaly to most people, probably because of it's isolated location and it's apparent fetish for Southerners :P It's kind of seen as the "posh uni" if you know what I mean! But having visited myself it seems fantastic, I'm not sure why more people I know don't apply to it :P Haha, I thought you might say that about Glasgow :P As a native Glaswegian I can tell you that it's actually pretty friendly. Or equally as a native Glaswegian I could "persuade" you that it's friendly by force! :biggrin:

I suppose its all about where you come from. People think manchester uni is far from where i live haha, so let alone scotland!
I dont think i have ever known someone to go to glasgow uni haha
I think St Andrews is liked because it is posh and has the oxbridge appeal, also because its fairly english haha
I have to say i like glasgow though, the uni looks awesome there!!! I would love to go there for my clinical years.

Its weird because i never know northerners and the scottish to apply to places like southampton, bath and cardiff, yet those are like the some of the most popular from where i come from, i think everyone of my friends applied to one of those unis haha
I suppose its all about where you come from. People think manchester uni is far from where i live haha, so let alone scotland!
I think St Andrews is liked because it is posh and has the oxbridge appeal, also because its fairly english haha
I have to say i like glasgow though, the uni looks awesome there!!! I would love to go there for my clinical years.

Its weird because i never know northerners and the scottish to apply to places like southampton, bath and cardiff, yet those are like the some of the most popular from where i come from, i think everyone of my friends applied to one of those unis haha

huh?
Reply 696

I think it's to do with tuition fees for Scottish people at least. It's unusual for a lot of Scottish applicants to apply in England because uni's free if we stay in Scotland, but we'd need to pay for it if we move south, whereas English students have to pay anyways and so will just pick the ones they like :tongue:

Haha, St Andrew's is far away from me, and I live in Scotland! How are you planning to get up there for your interview? It was about a 2 hour drive from Glasgow, but I'd imagine you'll get a hotel room or something?
Reply 697
Original post by atomos
huh?

It's incredible popular with the English, a lot of newspapers eg the times for the blurb bit about St Andrews etc refers to it as the English university in Scotland because of it's popularity with the English.
Reply 698
Original post by KCosmo

I think it's to do with tuition fees for Scottish people at least. It's unusual for a lot of Scottish applicants to apply in England because uni's free if we stay in Scotland, but we'd need to pay for it if we move south, whereas English students have to pay anyways and so will just pick the ones they like :tongue:

Haha, St Andrew's is far away from me, and I live in Scotland! How are you planning to get up there for your interview? It was about a 2 hour drive from Glasgow, but I'd imagine you'll get a hotel room or something?

True, I forget that sometimes. By the way it's so unfair!! Haha I want free tuition!!! Cardiff is also now going to give free tuition fr the welsh, it seems the English are the only loosing out here!

Well I'm going to Drive to Bristol and then fly up to Edinburgh and then hire a car because we are lazy haha. If we drove, it would take probs about 10/11 hours :/ Yea we are going to stay up there for three days, make a little holiday of it haha and go to Edinburgh as well :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Do the interviewers get to see your personal statement before the interview?

'Cus i can't remember what bloody day it is never mind what I wrote on my personal statement

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending