The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, new here, but do you know anything about the motorola Defy?

I know other Moto phones have had a locked bootloader which sucked, but I'm not sure about this one.

I was looking at the Nexus S :coma: but jesus christ its over 400 quid. The Defy is nowhere near the speed but at 269.99 at play.com seems like a bargain for the specs.

Any experience on custom ROMs on Motorolas?
Original post by G8D
My cousin has a Defy, he seems reasonably happy with it.

AFAIK the Defy is vulnerable to the Droid 2 hack so you can install ROMs, I'm just not sure if the Defy has a large enough developer-base to provide the ROMs you'd be looking for.
If rooting/custom ROMs are one of the main features you are looking for the Defy might not be the best option.

Thanks. I'm basically seeing if its possible to get rid of some of the motoblur crap, as pretty much everyone says it's not any good and it bogs the phone down.

The price is really, really tempting, even though the CPU is a TI at 800MHz, it apparently runs a SGX530 gpu.
Original post by G8D
I have no clue about TIs or the corresponding GPUs (most of what I know is based in Qualcomm and Adreno GPU).

It is possible to root and load ROM's, it just is not as easy as some other phones.

Research it, then decide :smile:

Alright, off to xda for some reading!

Thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by G8D
Some have gone for £180 or something, but most go to £210/20 (I know it's not much over the budget, I guess I just wasn't comitted to the idea fully at the time).
I seen a Desire HD irl today, :sogood: The HD2 would essentially be the same but with different buttons.

I've actually been loling in advancing about having an Android phone with a Windows key :redface:

LET'S DO IT
Original post by G8D
I know I won't be disappointed, but I didn't want to go over £200 anyway :p:
I guess if it comes with some accessories then I can live with it. Will report back in around 17 hours :wink:

Some have gone for £180 or something, but most go to £210/20 (I know it's not much over the budget, I guess I just wasn't comitted to the idea fully at the time).
I seen a Desire HD irl today, :sogood: The HD2 would essentially be the same but with different buttons.

I was sitting next to a girl in a lecture, she had the HD2. Even though my phone has exactly the same screen as her I was perving on it whenever she was using it and then when I was using mine I saw her looking over. I was actually in awe of her screen despite having the exact in front of me :p:

Original post by G8D
YES LET's

Windows key must be Menu? No search button? Sadface.

Does the HD2 have a dedicated camera button or does it follow the typical sleek HTC mentality?

Yeah it's Menu, I'm sure I saw it in a video

I never used the Search button

I don't see one in the pictures :dontknow:

:excited:

Should I still get Cronos GB in the meantime? :redface:

Original post by G8D
I do hope my plans come to light :daydreaming:

Getting the HD2 (instead of, say, the Desire HD) makes a lot of sense to me. I like hard buttons and I like having physical Call/End buttons (like my Hero).
Capacitive buttons just annoy me no end.

I thought that before but the Cap buttons have been great so far, makes unlocking the phone a lot easier since I noticed the entire area about 1.2cm below the actual screen is capacitive, so I kind of follow through beyond the screen.

Good luck with the auctions Pol and G8D :thumbsup:

Original post by G8D
How much is an HD2 unlock code?

All the sites I see seem to require IMEI number before giving a price.

Maybe it's the same as for the Hero? I paid £10, but I don't know if it worked properly; I might have to change to a Modaco ROM to unlock it properly before I sell it :redface:

Original post by G8D
You can unlock via a ROM? :s-smilie:
Or do you need to enter the code in another ROM?

You need to enter the code in another ROM to get it to work, I believe.

I tried to use another SIM card while I was on holiday but it didn't work :s-smilie:

I got the code from Unlocking.com :yes:
Original post by mikeyd85

Original post by mikeyd85
Rumour has it that Nokia are going to WP7... That could be huge for both of them!

Not so much rumour, more just an analyst said that they should
Can anyone recommend a HTC phone?

I was thinking of getting the HTC Desire Z because I prefer Qwerty keyboards when sending texts/emails etc...any views on this phone?
Original post by G8D
It's quite good, apparently.

About to become old-generation though, this doesn't make it a bad phone btw :P

I don't think i'll be able to afford the new-gen phones when my contract ends in April tbh, so if the Desire Z is on the cheaper side, I may well decide to get the phone. I'm still in the middle of choosing either a HTC or a Blackberry. I'm a bit worried about the HTC phones and if they lag too much. The phone I have now (HTC Hero) lags way too much for my liking, and does so with my friends phone so i'm guessing this is a problem for many with the phone. I just hope this isn't the case for the newer HTC phones :tongue:
Reply 3673
Original post by Unknown-User
Can anyone recommend a HTC phone?

I was thinking of getting the HTC Desire Z because I prefer Qwerty keyboards when sending texts/emails etc...any views on this phone?

I got one on Tuesday, I'm in love. Really snappy, responsive, has no problems playing games or multitasking. Battery is pretty good, much better than my ageing iPhone. I'm pretty good on a touchscreen keyboard having used the iPhone for the last 3 years, anddd I'm still not sure I'd use the physical keyboard full time but it is so nice having it without having a keyboard taking up half the screen.

I was waiting for the next gen, but all the stuff in the US that's being released in the month is going to take a couple of months extra to filter through here. Until something really impressive is released, I'm not too bothered. The LG2X still lags between homescreens, despite being Tegra 2, it's all poor software. I'm looking forward to seeing the HTC Pyramid and Galaxy S2 though. The DZ seems to retain its value fairly well on eBay, so my plan was to keep it until something really striking comes out.
Is there any way to improve the resolution/image quality of the synced images for contacts in Android?
Does anyone know how to get facebook pictures to come up in contacts for normal contacts app rather than htc people as I am on cm7 now.

Original post by G8D
£200, otterbox, car charger and another 8GB SD card.

tyvm.

:rofl2: Congratulations!

Original post by G8D
Why rofl?

Because I saw the item you were talking about, yesterday. :closedeyes:

I'm not ready to part with my Hero yet. It hasn't seriously annoyed me yet, like any of my previous phones. :sigh:
Reply 3678
Original post by jamesmor1
I think it looks pretty sucky IMO, I don't like the mascot, think I'll stick to Symbian

lol, noob.
I can't wait till battery technology catches up to a point where out super smart phone last like a week.

Latest

Trending

Trending