The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Any Biology Offers?

Scroll to see replies

No offers yet. I've been waiting for like forever. :sad:
I'll probably get rejected cos there are lots of International Students already.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I haven't heard yet either. I applied for Biology with industrial Placement at St Mary's college on October 11th and my application was acknowledged on 21st October. It's been in the department for months and hasn't yet been sent to a college.
Reply 22
Original post by BlueEyes_WearsGlasses
I haven't heard yet either. I applied for Biology with industrial Placement at St Mary's college on October 11th and my application was acknowledged on 21st October. It's been in the department for months and hasn't yet been sent to a college.

I sent mine about a month after you and nothing, however remember how popular Durham is so they were waiting until after the deadline had passed. Next week is the first week after the deadline so I bet they'll be making some offers then.
Original post by Aydn9
Ive applied to university college, did your supervisor say why it was best?

I dont remember that accurately now:biggrin: I think it was something like '' many bio students are located in there'' ..:smile: and why did you choose it?:smile:

Each college has a quota for how many students they can have from each subject (eg. If 10% of the university's undergraduates studied History, 10% of each college's students would be history students).

Sorry but your supervisor's wrong...also what's a supervisor? Do you mean a tutor? :confused:
Original post by Crazydavy
I sent mine about a month after you and nothing, however remember how popular Durham is so they were waiting until after the deadline had passed. Next week is the first week after the deadline so I bet they'll be making some offers then.

I'm hoping, and have been thinking that that's probably the case.
Reply 25
Original post by angelmxxx

Original post by angelmxxx
I dont remember that accurately now:biggrin: I think it was something like '' many bio students are located in there'' ..:smile: and why did you choose it?:smile:

Each college has a quota for how many students they can have from each subject (eg. If 10% of the university's undergraduates studied History, 10% of each college's students would be history students).

Sorry but your supervisor's wrong...also what's a supervisor? Do you mean a tutor? :confused:

I dont know its exact translation in english:/ counselling maybe? I am repeating that I dont remember what she said accurately:smile:...I was thinking of writing either Hatfield or University college so the reason is not so important:smile:....Do you think Uni college has an atmosphere much more formal than the atm of Hatfield?
Original post by Aydn9

I dont know its exact translation in english:/ counselling maybe? I am repeating that I dont remember what she said accurately:smile:...I was thinking of writing either Hatfield or University college so the reason is not so important:smile:....Do you think Uni college has an atmosphere much more formal than the atm of Hatfield?

Oh right....not too sure but they're definitely wrong (sorry!).

I don't think so, no college has a formal atmosphere (except at formal dinners), 99% of the time when you're just around college, it's as relaxed as living in your own home. I haven't been to Castle or Hatfield formals but I doubt there's a big difference in formality, both have rules etc as far as I know.
Reply 27
Original post by Aydn9

I think the formal aspect is mainly based on how many formals you have a week. University College has around 3 a week, I think, while some won't have any or maybe 1 a term. Some colleges also require you to wear gowns to formals/matriculation while others just require black suits.
Has anyone else heard? I'm still waiting...
Reply 29
Still waiting - :erm:
Reply 30
Still waiting here too :ashamed2:
I got rejected...I am not a happy bunny at all-that's putting it mildly.
Reply 32
I got rejected...I am not a happy bunny at all-that's putting it mildly.

Oh no that sucks! cannot imagine how bad it must feel! Im sure that wherever you go though you'll do great! :biggrin:

And youve got better grades than me too! :frown: sadtimes are ahead I fear.
Reply 33
I'm hoping, and have been thinking that that's probably the case.

Ouch sorry about that, I'm expecting a rejection soon, they should have got back to me by now if they wanted me :/

What subjects grades did you do and get last year out of interest?
For AS,

Bs for Maths, Biology and Physics and an A for Art.

Am predicted A/B for Physics and A for both Maths and Biology though. I was only 4 marks off an A for Biology at the end of last year, so I could quite easily have met the offer. It's just really annoying as I didn't think I was being realistic about expecting an offer from Durham as I got all my other 4 offers.
Reply 35
Does biochem and molecular biology count as biology...?
Reply 36
Original post by Forzamilan
Does biochem and molecular biology count as biology...?

Well yes, but in this case we're talking about straight biology.
Original post by Crazydavy
Ouch sorry about that, I'm expecting a rejection soon, they should have got back to me by now if they wanted me :/

What subjects grades did you do and get last year out of interest?

Good luck guys, don't worry about offers. I got mine in March and I applied in October before the Oxbridge/medicine cut off point (nope ... I didn't apply there!) so just sit back and relax, or revise haha.

Straight Bio is a tough course at Durham, no doubt, but I learned so much and you have the option of changing to different degree routes. If you score 55% average in the first year, you also have the option of changing to Natural Sciences, then you can essentially do any module you want (except for law and politics), this is unique among unis.

Finally, Durham has that weight of prestige that you only find out when you start job hunting (which I am...), and it counts for a significant amount, when they are ranked top 25 in the world for employability attraction, there is a good reason why. Also, there is exciting developments on the biomedical department moving back into the main Durham Campus. This can only mean additional module choices. So jealous!!!

Best of luck, who knows, might bump into some of you guys (ill be in my final year), any questions feel free to ask =)

JL
Reply 38
Original post by Johnny Luk
Good luck guys, don't worry about offers. I got mine in March and I applied in October before the Oxbridge/medicine cut off point (nope ... I didn't apply there!) so just sit back and relax, or revise haha.

Straight Bio is a tough course at Durham, no doubt, but I learned so much and you have the option of changing to different degree routes. If you score 55% average in the first year, you also have the option of changing to Natural Sciences, then you can essentially do any module you want (except for law and politics), this is unique among unis.

Finally, Durham has that weight of prestige that you only find out when you start job hunting (which I am...), and it counts for a significant amount, when they are ranked top 25 in the world for employability attraction, there is a good reason why. Also, there is exciting developments on the biomedical department moving back into the main Durham Campus. This can only mean additional module choices. So jealous!!!

Best of luck, who knows, might bump into some of you guys (ill be in my final year), any questions feel free to ask =)

JL

Hi :smile:

How do you think Durham compares to Warwick? I notice Warwick has a higher ranking for Biology (7) according to The Guardian, whilst Durham is at rank 40 - but I'm not sure how much that counts for also taking in mind Durham's prestigious history. When you say you have the option to choose any module you want, what do they include out of interest?
Hi guys :smile:
so i just joined TSR to pretty much come pester you all - i admit i've been stalking this page for a few weeks now to see if anyone else has any offers/heard anything; i'm still waiting here too - its making me ridculously nervous! i really wish they'd decide one way or another so its finalised :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest