The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Applied for Economics BSC: Grades: A*A*A*B, Subjects: Maths(Already attained), F Maths, Economics and politics
UCL- Unsuccessful
Nottigham- Unsuccessful
Bath- Awaiting reply
Mancester- offer AB
Southampton- Offer AB

Bath havn't aked me for proof of my A* last year but has done for some others i've heard. Was wondering if anyone has heard back from Bath and if not am i just awiting a rejection?
Original post by Simon_Sbk
Applied for Economics BSC: Grades: A*A*A*B, Subjects: Maths(Already attained), F Maths, Economics and politics
UCL- Unsuccessful
Nottigham- Unsuccessful
Bath- Awaiting reply
Mancester- offer AB
Southampton- Offer AB

Bath havn't aked me for proof of my A* last year but has done for some others i've heard. Was wondering if anyone has heard back from Bath and if not am i just awiting a rejection?

God, it's so crazy that people like you with such good grades are getting rejected by Nottingham, who said their requirement was AAA.. I'm predicted A*AA so I got rejected too by Notts. But yeah, I haven't heard back from Bath either, or UCL actually. Although if you got a rejection from UCL, I'm pretty sure I will too, haha. What the hell do these universities want.. Seriously?!
Original post by simonc1993
Argh, that sucks, I'm sure they'll start rolling in soon :smile: Where else have you applied?

I applied to LSE, Bath, Warwick, Nottingham and Birmingham
Original post by zanahoria
I've actually researched quite a lot, as you can see in my university lists... they are all good unis. Well, I'm still doubting in Durham econ because some people say that its not as good because they have less quantitive materials. Their Econ is BA and Bsc. And some other people on the other hand say they are as good as others regardless BA. I'm still not sure which side is right. Do you have the answer?? :confused:

Yeah, I think Durham's course is meant to be far more qualititive, although I think it's probably considered a better uni maybe due to it's prestige. On the other hand, so many people have been rejected by Nottingham (including me, haha) that it would be a bit of a shame to turn down an offer, haha. If I ever had the choice, I'd choose Nottingham cos it has a better course (and would probably be a more fun place to live) and due to the competition there seems to have been this year to get a place for Econ..
Reply 1564
I hope these uni's like Nottingham aren't as strict as next year (when I apply), or as competitive, as looking through these posts some people don't deserve to be rejected.
I think Nottingham's extreme competitive nature this year is because of their bias towards international students. I am international - applied before on October 14th and received my offer on November 4th. My conditions are extremely low: 34 points in the IB with a 5 in SL English.
Reply 1566
Original post by zanahoria
I've actually researched quite a lot, as you can see in my university lists... they are all good unis. Well, I'm still doubting in Durham econ because some people say that its not as good because they have less quantitive materials. Their Econ is BA and Bsc. And some other people on the other hand say they are as good as others regardless BA. I'm still not sure which side is right. Do you have the answer?? :confused:

Durham is much better.. in every way possible.. cambridge economics is a BA too and so what? Cambridge is one of the best unis for economics.. so clearly a 'BA' in economics is not worse.. it doesn't make a difference.. it's an amazing university and amazing at economics too.. don't be confused.. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1567
Original post by rohitronaldo
I think Nottingham's extreme competitive nature this year is because of their bias towards international students. I am international - applied before on October 14th and received my offer on November 4th. My conditions are extremely low: 34 points in the IB with a 5 in SL English.

i think notts place alot of importance on personal statements as my grades are nowhere near as good as people who got rejected but i had a good personal statement. also i dont think they take too much notice of A* predictions.
Reply 1568
Original post by mlsdbk
Durham is much better.. in every way possible.. cambridge economics is a BA too and so what? it doesn't make a difference.. it's an amazing university and amazing at economics too.. Notts can't compare in my opinion.. don't be confused.. :smile:

Look, it's clear you adore Durham and anything you say when comparing another university to the other is EXTREMELY biased, Durham's course is obviously less quantitative as they don't require A-level Maths.
Original post by Simon_Sbk
UCL- Unsuccessful
Nottigham- Unsuccessful
Bath- Awaiting reply
Mancester- offer AB
Southampton- Offer AB

I have an offer from Bath - unconditional as I've already got my A level results. Also have an offer from Warwick and will probably go there -just waiting till after the open day on 16th to confirm. Maybe some unis are waiting till they have decisions from people they've already made offers too before giving out more offers? It's not too late so good luck
Reply 1570
Original post by tateco
Look, it's clear you adore Durham and anything you say when comparing another university to the other is EXTREMELY biased, Durham's course is obviously less quantitative as they don't require A-level Maths.

not at all.. i like durham but there's no reason for me to be biased.. in my opinion warwick, UCL, LSE are better.. but that doesn't mean i can't say that nottingham is better as well because it isn't.. oh and these aren't just my opinions.. i've consuleted many professionals and my teachers.and you should get your facts right.. yes durham is less quantitate but firstly that doesn't mean its a worse course.. and secondly they require at least AS level maths.. whereas nottingham don't require AS or A level maths at all.. look on ucas or their websites.. get your facts right before you say i'm biased.. i was comparing Durham to nottingham.. i'm not saying it was the best uni for economics.. the person asked and i answered
Reply 1571
I got an offer for RHUL with average grade requirements just a little bit above what I expect to achieve. I've also applied to QMUL, Kingston, Greenwich and City University London, is it fair to think that I'll get at least one realistic conditional offer from these institutions? Are any of these considerably easier to join (in terms of requirements) than RHUL?
Reply 1572
Original post by mlsdbk
not at all.. i like durham but there's no reason for me to be biased.. in my opinion warwick, UCL, LSE are better.. but that doesn't mean i can't say that nottingham is better as well because it isn't.. oh and these aren't just my opinions.. i've consuleted many professionals and my teachers.and you should get your facts right.. yes durham is less quantitate but firstly that doesn't mean its a worse course.. and secondly they require at least AS level maths.. whereas nottingham don't require AS or A level maths at all.. look on ucas or their websites.. get your facts right before you say i'm biased.. i was comparing Durham to nottingham.. i'm not saying it was the best uni for economics.. the person asked and i answered

And in my opinion Durham comes below Bath, Nottingham, Bristol as well, my reasoning is because of the prospect of wanting to do a masters somewhere like LSE, where they prefer you to have done as many mathematical modules as possible.

The person asked for an unbiased opinion, not for someone infatuated with Durham to tell them that Durham is better. I am quite aware that Nottingham doesn't require A-level
maths, however if you take the time to look through the modules that Nottingham offers you can pick many more econometric modules and mathematical modules than you can for the Durham course which in my opinion makes it more quantitative, wouldn't you agree?
Reply 1573
Are poeple still waiting on Warwick and Bristol? I am getting a bit worried that they will hit me with rejections.....

Oxford: unsuccessful after interview
Exeter: conditional - A*AA
Nottingham: Consitional - AAA-AABB
Reply 1574
Original post by Booshak
Are poeple still waiting on Warwick and Bristol? I am getting a bit worried that they will hit me with rejections.....

Oxford: unsuccessful after interview
Exeter: conditional - A*AA
Nottingham: Consitional - AAA-AABB

ahh...well done! smart!

Where else did you apply to?
Reply 1575
Original post by Meha
ahh...well done! smart!

Where else did you apply to?

My five were Notts, Exeter, Oxford, Warwick and Bristol...

Where have you applied??
Reply 1576
Original post by tateco
And in my opinion Durham comes below Bath, Nottingham, Bristol as well, my reasoning is because of the prospect of wanting to do a masters somewhere like LSE, where they prefer you to have done as many mathematical modules as possible.

The person asked for an unbiased opinion, not for someone infatuated with Durham to tell them that Durham is better. I am quite aware that Nottingham doesn't require A-level
maths, however if you take the time to look through the modules that Nottingham offers you can pick many more econometric modules and mathematical modules than you can for the Durham course which in my opinion makes it more quantitative, wouldn't you agree?

Yes it is more quantitative at Nottingham.. but that doesn't mean 'better' it just depends on the type of course you want.. i know people who went to Durham and then LSe but obviously if you want a more quantitive course than you should go for that.. then Durham might not be your favourite.. but if we talk about reputation and employability then from what I've heard Durham is above the unis you've mentioned.. even if ever so slightly. They're all really good.. i just stated my opinion.. anyway good luck with your unis.. i hope you go where you want :wink:
Original post by ellie_velvet
God, it's so crazy that people like you with such good grades are getting rejected by Nottingham, who said their requirement was AAA.. I'm predicted A*AA so I got rejected too by Notts. But yeah, I haven't heard back from Bath either, or UCL actually. Although if you got a rejection from UCL, I'm pretty sure I will too, haha. What the hell do these universities want.. Seriously?!

Lol yeh my teacher told me its becoming a joke soon they will be asking for PHD's :biggrin:. But its life i guess, Best of luck on UCL offer very good place wanted to study at UCL but thats the way it goes I guess.
Reply 1578
Original post by mlsdbk
Yes it is more quantitative at Nottingham.. but that doesn't mean 'better' it just depends on the type of course you want.. i know people who went to Durham and then LSe but obviously if you want a more quantitive course than you should go for that.. then Durham might not be your favourite.. but if we talk about reputation and employability then from what I've heard Durham is above the unis you've mentioned.. even if ever so slightly. They're all really good.. i just stated my opinion.. anyway good luck with your unis.. i hope you go where you want :wink:

I know people have different opinions but just couldn't stand to see you putting people off other universities instead of Durham just because you want to go there :P

Durham is a household name so it is probably more employable on the surface, but degrees from other institutions like Bath could easily lead to postgrad courses at LSE or Cambridge and leave you even more employable.

Thank you, I'm applying next year though, have a good time at Durham :smile:
Original post by stargazergirl
I have an offer from Bath - unconditional as I've already got my A level results. Also have an offer from Warwick and will probably go there -just waiting till after the open day on 16th to confirm. Maybe some unis are waiting till they have decisions from people they've already made offers too before giving out more offers? It's not too late so good luck

A friend of mine applied for the same course and recieved his rejection a few weeks ago so maybe you're right about them awaiting how many confirm there offers. Also thanks for the good luck I really do hope i get an offer from Bath

Latest

Trending

Trending