The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Shiny New Thread
Reply 2
Reply 3
A new thread at last.

What a win yesterday. What. A. Win.

We're in this two horse race... the way things should be. United and Arsenal fighting for the top spot.
Reply 4
I don't buy the 'Arsenal had a psychological barrier against winning against the top teams'. It's an easy excuse and ignores the football Arsenal were and are playing. If you look at the old football, Arsenal were toothless against Utd and Chelsea. They wanted to play at a tempo but they didn't know how to cope with the counter attack. The didn't know how to close them down, a la Barcelona. Barcelona are the blue print Arsenal are trying to be. But without closing them down we are too open at the back. Too vulnerable to Rooney or Messi or Drogba to get the ball in an easy place and slot it in. Unlucky, we'd had the possession for so long but didn't do anything, same old Arsenal etc. Arsenal last night were different.

Finally.

They played with a tempo and an aggression previously not heard of from an Arsenal team. Each player put his body on the line. Fighting and harrying and closing down. The number of times Chelsea were dispossessed without doing anything significant with the ball was satisfyingly high. The bitty nature of the first half was fantastic.

I read in the thread someone suggesting Chelsea were poor and it was not Arsenal's positives that won us the football. I call bs. Firstly look at the team. Terry, Lampard and Drogba were all in. They had a two week break. They had time to get mentally focussed and they wanted this, a lot. Their first team were the best team in the league. That quality doesn't go. And after a two week break any psychological problems are turned into fire and a desire for winning. We put a halt to all that. We suppressed and contained them (until Walcott came off). We played like how title contenders are supposed to play.

It may not have been a psychological barrier to overcome to beat the top teams but this win is certainly is a boost.

But now focus has to be retained. The same intensity is required every match. And if we do. My friends, **** it, we can win the title.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Till we draw to Wigan tomorrow.

We really need to make this result count.
Reply 6
Original post by Colonel.

Zizali can eat a dick. 9 goals, 7 assists in 16 appearances (including quite a few subbed). He might be a crap all-round footballer who doesn't have any tricks, but he's got pace and he can finish. That, alone, makes you useful.
Reply 7
Yeah, people can no longer say that Walcott isn't a very good player.
Reply 8
Original post by 66CC99
I don't buy the 'Arsenal had a psychological barrier against winning against the top teams'. It's an easy excuse and ignores the football Arsenal were and are playing. If you look at the old football, Arsenal were toothless against Utd and Chelsea. They wanted to play at a tempo but they didn't know how to cope with the counter attack. The didn't know how to close them down, a la Barcelona. Barcelona are the blue print Arsenal are trying to be. But without closing them down we are too open at the back. Too vulnerable to Rooney or Messi or Drogba to get the ball in an easy place and slot it in. Unlucky, we'd had the possession for so long but didn't do anything, same old Arsenal etc. Arsenal last night were different.

Finally.

They played with a tempo and an aggression previously not heard of from an Arsenal team. Each player put his body on the line. Fighting and harrying and closing down. The number of times Chelsea were dispossessed without doing anything significant with the ball was satisfyingly high. The bitty nature of the first half was fantastic.

I read in the thread someone suggesting Chelsea were poor and it was not Arsenal's positives that won us the football. I call bs. Firstly look at the team. Terry, Lampard and Drogba were all in. They had a two week break. They had time to get mentally focussed and they wanted this, a lot. Their first team were the best team in the league. That quality doesn't go. And after a two week break any psychological problems are turned into fire and a desire for winning. We put a halt to all that. We suppressed and contained them (until Walcott came off). We played like how title contenders are supposed to play.

It may not have been a psychological barrier to overcome to beat the top teams but this win is certainly is a boost.

But now focus has to be retained. The same intensity is required every match. And if we do. My friends, **** it, we can win the title.

Good post. (Y)
Reply 9
Hi
Reply 10
That picture of Wenger is scary.
Reply 11
Yahhhh ! New Thread ! :smile: Djourou was Immense !
Reply 12
That's one creepy photo of Arsene. If you look into his eyes it ends up looking like an SEM of some obscure arthropod.
We won yesterday because Wenger got the team and tactics spot on, and we would've at least drawn against United if he had done the same there. Chamakh and Arshavin shouldn't be starting these big games if Walcott and Van Persie are fit. Also I hope Wenger continues to play Djourou because going by the way he's played this season he deserves to be first choice alongside Vermaelen, Koscielny still looks shaky and he was at fault for their goal. Overall it was a great performance though, swap Koscielny for Vermaelen and I think the team that played yesterday should be our first choice starting XI.
Reply 14
Original post by Deshi
That picture of Wenger is scary.

I only just realised that it's a drawing. Pretty awesome stuff
Original post by Overmars
Zizali can eat a dick. 9 goals, 7 assists in 16 appearances (including quite a few subbed). He might be a crap all-round footballer who doesn't have any tricks, but he's got pace and he can finish. That, alone, makes you useful.

First of all, 7 assists? Sort it out.
He is technically the worst player in the whole squad. I said time after time last season, if your going to play him, play him up top where he can latch on to through balls. This is how he succeeded against Chelsea. However, he continues to play a side midfielder who will get tackled 9 out of 10 times, the other 1 time will lead to a misplaced pass.
In the league he has played 10 times, however he has only managed a hat trick against Blackpool that ended 6-0, a goal against Chelsea yesterday and can't remember the other goal. Hardly as impressive as you made out to be. They all count, but if you take away the Blackpool game then it's 2 in 9.
At least he has beat last years tally of 3 and the previous years tally of 2.
I can't see how you can continue to be critical of Walcott, I've been impressed almost every time he plays. His passing is so much better, his finishing is excellent and he's now making clever runs. He made Ashley Cole, supposedly one of, if not the best, left back in the world, look ordinary yesterday. With a run in the team if he avoids injury I think Walcott will be just as key as Nasri is to us. Even when he's not playing well the opposition have a to play a little deeper and are concious of Walcott because they know if they push up they ain't going to be able to catch him, just look at what happened to Barca when he came on at home last season.
Original post by Ar5enal Fan
I can't see how you can continue to be critical of Walcott, I've been impressed almost every time he plays. His passing is so much better, his finishing is excellent and he's now making clever runs. He made Ashley Cole, supposedly one of, if not the best, left back in the world, look ordinary yesterday. With a run in the team if he avoids injury I think Walcott will be just as key as Nasri is to us. Even when he's not playing well the opposition have a to play a little deeper and are concious of Walcott because they know if they push up they ain't going to be able to catch him, just look at what happened to Barca when he came on at home last season.

This. You can not criticize Walcott's contribution this season. He's really improved from last year, and I think he will be crucial for the barca game.
Reply 18
Original post by ZizAli
First of all, 7 assists? Sort it out.
He is technically the worst player in the whole squad. I said time after time last season, if your going to play him, play him up top where he can latch on to through balls. This is how he succeeded against Chelsea. However, he continues to play a side midfielder who will get tackled 9 out of 10 times, the other 1 time will lead to a misplaced pass.
In the league he has played 10 times, however he has only managed a hat trick against Blackpool that ended 6-0, a goal against Chelsea yesterday and can't remember the other goal. Hardly as impressive as you made out to be. They all count, but if you take away the Blackpool game then it's 2 in 9.
At least he has beat last years tally of 3 and the previous years tally of 2.

The other was against Blackburn away. 2-1. A massive three points.
Reply 19
Theo's been improving. We have now seen him doing cool light chip finishes , trademark inside far post goals, instinctive finishing -which you saw at our last cl match. Also he has been praticing freekicks and does his fair share of defending too. Importantly He does not freak out at big games. we have seen what he has done to sides from blackpool to liverpool , barca , chelsea , milan. So hes a decent footballer in my book. And he has loads of time to furthur up his game. He's got a decent attitude too. Although i do admit his creativity is not as gifted as the likes of nasri, fab. But he give us goals. Thats what matters ultimately.

With more gametime and consistency he can become an even more valuable asset to tge arsenal.

Latest