The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Rogue Trader
Ah, ok thanks for the clarification. Apologies for the misinformation; guess I will have to wait a few days for a letter to confirm my college as well.:s-smilie:

It's fine :smile: good luck, hope you get your first choice college! :smile: x
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by pianofluteftw
Don't worry there are several of us still waiting for Durham Physics (and at Castle). Frustrating though isn't it! (I was also rejected by Oxford :rolleyes:)

Just had a look on AES (for the first time), and my application has been recieved by the department but not by the college, so I assume either the physics department aren't done with me yet or they're planning on allocating me to a different college.
Reply 3662
Original post by flywithemma
My best friend is waiting to hear for History V100 at Josephine Butler...her AES is still with department.
I know from here/my own experience that there have been plenty offers given out for History, but has anyone specifically heard for History at Josephine Butler? Or Josephine Butler in general?
It's really hard, because Durham was my second choice and I have an offer, and it's her first choice and she doesn't...I wish there was something I could do! :frown:

That's exactly what I have applied for, and I'm still waiting :frown:
Just gotta not give up hope I spose
Original post by KissMyArtichoke
Just had a look on AES (for the first time), and my application has been recieved by the department but not by the college, so I assume either the physics department aren't done with me yet or they're planning on allocating me to a different college.

Basically the AES is pretty rubbish. It just lets you know when you have been sent to ANY college, not just preferred. The fact it is still with the department means they are still considering you, although be warned, being sent to a college does not necessarily mean an offer. (although >90% likely) as it shows the department would like to offer you a place :smile:
Good luck! :biggrin:
Im doing NatSci and my first choice is Durham, just check out my signature :smile:. No of course not, its just the catering bit tbh, and I prefer UCL and Durham cause of various other reasons. I had initially considered Bath cause they do a year abroad scheme but recently found out i have this option at UCL too.

My college at Durham is Trevelyan which has the kind of architecture I dislike (60s grey concrete building) but I realise tbh it doesn't really matter like you said. Not to go somewhere purely because of architecture is a bit superficial and silly.

Btw what course are you applying for? Is it Biology? And where?
Has anyone else checked the UniStats website? The tables don't give allllll that much information, but you can choose a subject area then order all the universities by average UCAS points gained by entrants, and Durham do awesomely.

NB : I have a (unproven) hunch it's slightly biased towards science subjects by nature, as maths/physics/chemistry/ other science students are more likely to do double maths, or at least 4 subjects. And, also, it doesn't actually directly relate to the competitiveness of the course, but you could assume a correlation.

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/

Anyways take a look if you're curious, it felt awesome to see that in physics (what I've applied for) Durham rank second in the country (behind Oxford, Cambridge don't count as they do natsci)
Reply 3666

Hi, i'm probably wrong, but I didn't think Durham updated UCAS until a college was confirmed.

Are you sure UCAS isn't showing a one digit college code against your offer details? Mine did but I missed it at first.

Congratulations on your offer, maybe see you there :wink:

mine still says 'O' so its still on open application. I think thats just coz its the weekend and they dont do any editing on the weekend?
Original post by rmerz1
mine still says 'O' so its still on open application. I think thats just coz its the weekend and they dont do any editing on the weekend?

I was accepted by a different college than to the one I applied to about 2/3 months ago and UCAS still displays my original choice.
Original post by pianofluteftw
Basically the AES is pretty rubbish. It just lets you know when you have been sent to ANY college, not just preferred. The fact it is still with the department means they are still considering you, although be warned, being sent to a college does not necessarily mean an offer. (although >90% likely) as it shows the department would like to offer you a place :smile:
Good luck! :biggrin:

cool, thanks for explaining that to me :smile:
Reply 3669
Original post by 2 Love Learn
That's odd :/ yeah its quite possible it got lost then. I felt the same way, I really liked the old Cambridge buildings and Durham seemed very similar. I think that's the 21st, I'm going up on the 22nd myself, which is a Tuesday. Really? It's closed? Where did you hear that? That is rather worrying :/ but as long a I can get to Newcastle it should be ok

When I tried to book a ticket on national rail it said this:

"Engineering work affecting First TransPennine Express services

It is not yet known how First TransPennine Express services will be affected by engineering work from Saturday 19 to Friday 25 March 2011. Please check back nearer the time of travel."

I guess it might not be closed but it's difficult to know yet. Will have to look into coaches or something. Anyone else thinking of going to the open days should probably take note!
Original post by D.R.E
Nice, might go to Economics Foundation instead! More interested in that :smile:

Ah ok, yea, its good to know early on that there's something you're more interested in.
What's the procedure for changing subject? Can you do it while you're there or do you have to do the whole application process again?
I'm more interested than actually considering changing myself.
Reply 3671
Original post by webber8345
Ah ok, yea, its good to know early on that there's something you're more interested in.
What's the procedure for changing subject? Can you do it while you're there or do you have to do the whole application process again?
I'm more interested than actually considering changing myself.

I'm not entirely sure to be honest, I'm going to email the department tomorrow morning and just see how it goes. I'm guessing that's probably the simplest way.
Original post by SYNPHETIK

Original post by SYNPHETIK
Has anyone else checked the UniStats website? The tables don't give allllll that much information, but you can choose a subject area then order all the universities by average UCAS points gained by entrants, and Durham do awesomely.

NB : I have a (unproven) hunch it's slightly biased towards science subjects by nature, as maths/physics/chemistry/ other science students are more likely to do double maths, or at least 4 subjects. And, also, it doesn't actually directly relate to the competitiveness of the course, but you could assume a correlation.

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/

Anyways take a look if you're curious, it felt awesome to see that in physics (what I've applied for) Durham rank second in the country (behind Oxford, Cambridge don't count as they do natsci)

The bit that's really worth looking at are the student satisfaction ratings. Third years are asked to rate their course and you'd be amazed at how unhappy people can be on some courses, even at good universities.
Original post by Noodlzzz

Original post by Noodlzzz
I was accepted by a different college than to the one I applied to about 2/3 months ago and UCAS still displays my original choice.

Me too.
Original post by sam1am

Original post by sam1am
When I tried to book a ticket on national rail it said this:

"Engineering work affecting First TransPennine Express services

It is not yet known how First TransPennine Express services will be affected by engineering work from Saturday 19 to Friday 25 March 2011. Please check back nearer the time of travel."

I guess it might not be closed but it's difficult to know yet. Will have to look into coaches or something. Anyone else thinking of going to the open days should probably take note!

I'm booked on a First TransPennine train on 22nd March. They didn't mention any problems when I booked it (or since). Where are you travelling from?
Reply 3675
Original post by KayteeKaytee
I'm booked on a First TransPennine train on 22nd March. They didn't mention any problems when I booked it (or since). Where are you travelling from?

Travelling from the staffordshire/cheshire type area.... maybe the problem is only on certain parts of the line. If not, 7 hour coach journey can't wait! :rolleyes:
Reply 3676
Original post by KayteeKaytee
Me too.

me too!
Reply 3677
Original post by Bovrick
Got my offer through yesterday morning. I applied in October, so it's a big relief to finally hear from them.

Now I just need York to reply so I can figure out what to do with my life :colondollar:

jealous! i applied in october too and havent heard anything :/ i live in york and its a really great student city- if i didnt live here it would probably be my top choice :biggrin:
Reply 3678
* Your application has been received by a College
* A decision has not yet been made. Please visit the UCAS website for further details

about bloody time :P
Original post by Misiak
* Your application has been received by a College
* A decision has not yet been made. Please visit the UCAS website for further details

about bloody time :P

Yay congrats! When did it change? :smile:
*Secretly hoping for a change... soon...*

Latest

Trending

Trending