The Student Room Group

Anyone applying for Archaeology in 2011?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by dirtyoldriver
When did you send yours off? I sent off in November and got replies within about 3 weeks but I think I just got in the bracket for early replies and things! My boyfriend's applied for the same thing and sent his off a few weeks later and hasn't had anything yet.

I sent mine off in mid December - I suppose I'll have to be patient. I just want to know!
Original post by portugueseninja
Not at all. It might be useful for you to get a flavour of it, but not essential at all. I'm friends with someone who has a LOT of archaeology experience, she's done digs and excavations pretty much every summer, but we're probably averaging the same kind of grades so far.

What predicteds did you have to get an offer from Cardiff? What are my chances of getting an offer with BCC??
Reply 62
Hey, I'm applied to do archaeology and anthropology at Durham bristol exeter and manchester had replies from latter 3 durham still hasn't said anything, is no news good news? (I have a friend who unfortunatly got declined from durham, but it might mean if they've said nothing it may not be a no) Anyway I'm worried, is there actually any good long term prospects to this course? I mean it'll be fun but all the jobs afterwards seem a little dull and low paid, is there anything good you can get from this degree (Realistically i mean)
Hey,

Anyone applying to Winchester? : )
Original post by tsr-member
What predicteds did you have to get an offer from Cardiff? What are my chances of getting an offer with BCC??

I didn't get predicted grades because I already had my results from a few years ago. But I think you should be OK with BCC as long as your personal statement and teacher recommendation are good. Most courses at Cardiff seem to have reasonably high requirements but Archaeology for some reason doesn't.

@Frelsh... I know someone who has recently done an MA in Archaeology and she's been looking for a job for a few months now with no luck so far. There does seem to be a shortage of (well paid) jobs within archaeology, but the degree itself is pretty well rounded and allows you to develop a good range of skills which could be applied to jobs across various sectors.
Reply 65

Umm... what would you like to know! I am happy to answer any questions.

It's going well, or at least I think it is... I can tell you for sure how well it's going when I get my essay grades back in a couple of weeks, but overall I'm enjoying it.

As a mature student (I'm only 23 but being out of school for a while has definitely been noticeable for me) it's taken me a while to settle in, but as I'm coming to the end of my first semester I'm feeling positive.

This semester I've had these classes:

- Greek and Roman Archaeology (I didn't like the Greek part much but the Romans are interesting)
- Introduction to Archaeological Skills (I like this class too, it's more sciency and every other week we have a 3 hour practical session that so far has included drawing archaeological sites, plotting graph things, and a computer based one about mapping)
- Ancient Egypt (this was an optional module, you get to choose between this and Human Origins, which I've looked at the course material for and it actually looks really interesting)
- Great Discoveries in Archaeology (basically a history of Archaeology, notable people in the field and what they did for the discipline, it's interesting)

Also in your first year you have to take an additional subject. I picked beginners Italian, which is super intense, I would strongly advise people not to choose a language as their additional subject if they don't have a language background. But it is good though, I'm excited to learn a new language.

I can't think of what else to say, but like I said, if you want to ask any specific questions then go ahead :smile:

I am also 23 and intending to apply for archaeology course. can i ask where u are studying. i am sitting a levels this year but only 2 as i have a 3 yr old daughter. its looking like i dont qualify but i am desperate to become an archaeologist. does anybody know of a lenient uni or a way i can convince them I am worth taking on? thanks
Reply 66
Original post by ellelry
I am also 23 and intending to apply for archaeology course. can i ask where u are studying. i am sitting a levels this year but only 2 as i have a 3 yr old daughter. its looking like i dont qualify but i am desperate to become an archaeologist. does anybody know of a lenient uni or a way i can convince them I am worth taking on? thanks

oh and im predicted A's but hope for one a*
Reply 67
Original post by aimeecw
Hey everyone,
I've got an interview for Archaeology BA for UCL in Jan and just asking about poss advice for it?
I've never studied arch before so I've done some reading, books, magazine, National Geographic etc but I haven't been able to go on any arch digs which I'm kinda worried about. I also joined a local arch group but they've been pretty useless with communication and providing me with info and my subscription with them has ended, so I'm pretty worried that the fact that nothing has really happened with them may look bad.
So any advice for someone who is determined to get into UCL? Eek!!

Hello - some advice

I suggest you subscribe to the Council of British Archaeology's magazine "British Archaeology" -> here's a link http://www.britarch.ac.uk/shop/index1.html and you'll become a member of the Council.
I recommend this as it will keep you up to date with the Archaeological "current affairs" and most importantly, at the back are dates of excavations and lectures for people to go on and get experience.

Excavations wise, I went to Piddington, Northamptonshire for two weeks and had a great time with the Upper Nene Archaeological Society and here's a link to their website if you were interested - http://www.unas.org.uk/magazine/magview.php?ID=8&date=0910
I'll be going back this year so if you wanted to come I could help/provide valuable info?

Good luck, and I hope this helps!
Original post by aimeecw

Original post by aimeecw
Hey everyone,
I've got an interview for Archaeology BA for UCL in Jan and just asking about poss advice for it?
I've never studied arch before so I've done some reading, books, magazine, National Geographic etc but I haven't been able to go on any arch digs which I'm kinda worried about. I also joined a local arch group but they've been pretty useless with communication and providing me with info and my subscription with them has ended, so I'm pretty worried that the fact that nothing has really happened with them may look bad.
So any advice for someone who is determined to get into UCL? Eek!!

I know this is your only post so you probably won't see this, but out of curiosity did you get in? :smile:
Hi everyone! My first post, and I got to say it's great to see so many others interested in Archaeology. Good luck with your applications.
Reply 70
Just got an offer at Nottingham and an interview at Reading :smile:
Original post by Faithy808
Just got an offer at Nottingham and an interview at Reading :smile:

Well done, told you they'd get back to you eventually lol!! When is your Reading interview?? Mine is 23rd Feb :smile:
Reply 72
Original post by Pink_butterfly
Well done, told you they'd get back to you eventually lol!! When is your Reading interview?? Mine is 23rd Feb :smile:

Heya again! Thanks! Mine's the 5th of March!
My track updated earlier today and they gave me a conditional, I'm assuming you were given an offer too??
Has anyone else applying to either Durham or UCl heard anything yet?
Original post by Silent-Varjoisa

I applied to Durham 23rd November and they gave me an offer two weeks ago maybe, received my letter from the college yesterday

I've got a place at UCL already, when did you apply? I sent off in early November and got my questionnaire and interview invitation in December, had my interview Jan 12th :smile: I think that was the first wave though and there are about 4.
It was sent off January 6th (Terrible reference) I had everything else finished early October!
Ohh man it'll probably be a while then! UCL seem to take their sweet time with everything especially compared to my other unis :smile: I recommend just trying to forget about them as I drove myself crazy waiting for something! Are they your first choice? :smile:
Original post by dirtyoldriver
Ohh man it'll probably be a while then! UCL seem to take their sweet time with everything especially compared to my other unis :smile: I recommend just trying to forget about them as I drove myself crazy waiting for something! Are they your first choice? :smile:

Oh no thank goodness! The waiting would drive me mad, I mean madder. I am waiting for Durham it's my dream university so If I got them before UCL I'd withdraw application to UCL and firm Durham.

Oh no thank goodness! The waiting would drive me mad, I mean madder. I am waiting for Durham it's my dream university so If I got them before UCL I'd withdraw application to UCL and firm Durham.

:eek2: drastic! I haven't seen Durham, I know they're meant to be good for arch but I chose not to apply for reasons I can't quite remember! I have fallen in love with UCL though, the department is seriously amazing, still can't believe I actually got accepted either :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest