The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Oxford Brookes primary PGCE interview in January 2011?

Hi! i just noticed on my GTTR that I've got an interview for Oxford Brookes primary PGCE on 12th Jan 2011! yey!:biggrin: I applied about mid Nov. Just wondering if anyone else has heard back or been given an interview on the same day?? I haven't received any letter or contact from the uni yet, but I'm dying to get it so I can see what I have to prepare for the interview, nerve racking!! anyone whose had an interview already got and advice or tips??

I've read online here that you have to do a 5 min teaching task, reflective writing exercise on the task, maths and english test too, is that right?? thanks! xx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey,
I feel really bad that I didn't read this message before as I could have told you what to expect as I too have an interview there. I was sent a pack in the post telling me what to expect and prepare for. I hope you eventually got one too?
How did your interview go? I have mine in March and I am really nervous.
I hope everything went well for you!
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 2
Hey guys!
I have an interview this Wednesday 9th Feb and I'm getting pretty nervous about it! How did you find the day? Is there anything it would be really useful for me to prepare for? Any info you could give me would be hugely appreciated! I hope you've had good news about getting onto the course by now!
Hello! I had mine on the 12th of January and got my offer on Friday. I'd the key thing is don't panic! I think the Brookes interview process is much more relaxed than other places because they are trying to find out what kind of person you are rather than how well you perform in tests. The interview part itself is very laid back with 4-5 of you with each interviewer, much nicer than Warwick where they test you for maths and English and then read out who passed straight away in front of everyone and then only interview those who passed! Do read up on that reflection article they included, you will be asked to reflect during your interview and it will be used to judge your written English skills. Hope this helps, good luck!
Reply 4
You're a star, thanks very much :smile:
I've read a lot of comments on here saying it's a relaxed and informative day, so I'm quite looking forward to it now. Congratulations on getting a place, hopefully I will see you on the course in September!
Reply 5
Original post by king_timmo
Hey guys!
I have an interview this Wednesday 9th Feb and I'm getting pretty nervous about it! How did you find the day? Is there anything it would be really useful for me to prepare for? Any info you could give me would be hugely appreciated! I hope you've had good news about getting onto the course by now!

Good luck!!! I had mine on 18th Jan and was offered a place last Thursday. Again to agree with everyone it is soooo laid back. Are you going for general primary or early years? What teaching task are you doing? are you from around Oxford or are you coming from a long commute? x :goodluck:
Reply 6
Hi Guys,

I had my interview on 25th Jan for the Primary course and am awaiting a response. It has been 2 weeks today...and counting... I just want to be put out of my mysery. Did anyone else on here have theirs on the same date?

Well done to everyone on here who has been offered a place!! And for those who have their interview very soon- don't worry, as everyone has mentioned, it is very informal and relaxed.
Reply 7
I had my interview on the 25th, in the morning session and i have have literally heard in the last half hr that i got a place!! So excited!! Good luck to those still waiting, its the worst thing isnt it!! x
Reply 8
Hi, does anyone else have an interview on the 28th Feb? My GTTR status changed to interview, but I haven't received any other information! It seems everyone else on here had a lot of notice, before the interview but I have just over two weeks to prepare. Any info you could offer me would be amazing! Thanks
Reply 9
Original post by kirstyta2
Hey,
I feel really bad that I didn't read this message before as I could have told you what to expect as I too have an interview there. I was sent a pack in the post telling me what to expect and prepare for. I hope you eventually got one too?
How did your interview go? I have mine in March and I am really nervous.
I hope everything went well for you!

Hi when is your interview in March, i'm a bit worried as I found out on the 10th Feb that my interview is on the 28th Feb, whereas you seem to have a lot more time, also I have had no information in the post... ah paincking!!!!
Reply 10
Original post by Lottswatts
I had my interview on the 25th, in the morning session and i have have literally heard in the last half hr that i got a place!! So excited!! Good luck to those still waiting, its the worst thing isnt it!! x

Well done! I also found out yesturday that I have a place! Mine was the morning session too, what was your teaching task?
Reply 11
Well done to you all who got places.

Just wondering what situation everyone is in with regards to moving to Oxford and living arrangements?

xx
Reply 12
Well i live in Derbyshire so I will definately be moving to Oxford for the year. I understand that we are guarenteed a place in Halls if we want it, and on the plus side it is catered, and all bills included. Not really looked into house prices yet.
Reply 13
Original post by Jodie1023
Well i live in Derbyshire so I will definately be moving to Oxford for the year. I understand that we are guarenteed a place in Halls if we want it, and on the plus side it is catered, and all bills included. Not really looked into house prices yet.

I am thinking of halls also. Again because of the fact that it will always have heating and electricity! If we don't want to eat what is cooked when we get back we can always cook in the kitchenette by our rooms. I had my crb and healthcheck form through yesterday, so I imagine as soon as all that is sorted we will get the details through about accommodation!x
Reply 14
Original post by lainey2412
I am thinking of halls also. Again because of the fact that it will always have heating and electricity! If we don't want to eat what is cooked when we get back we can always cook in the kitchenette by our rooms. I had my crb and healthcheck form through yesterday, so I imagine as soon as all that is sorted we will get the details through about accommodation!x

That's exactly what I thought - atleast you know you don't have to worry about any of it! Plus it's on site so very convenient. Where is it that you are coming from anyway? I have not been able to confirm my offer yet, it keeps coming up with an error everytime i try and I can't ring them as they shut on weekends. Did they get back quickly to you with the forms? x
Reply 15
I am coming from North wales around shropshire. I received the forms about 1 week after confirming my place. Before them I received a letter from GTTR to tell me that I have accepted my place.
Oh that is annoying, I wouldn't worry you have to decide within 2 weeks I think so if it's not sorted by Monday I would give them a ring and it will all be fine.
It's quite useful to find people in these forums. Are you doing general primary or early years?x
Reply 16
Original post by lainey2412
I am coming from North wales around shropshire. I received the forms about 1 week after confirming my place. Before them I received a letter from GTTR to tell me that I have accepted my place.
Oh that is annoying, I wouldn't worry you have to decide within 2 weeks I think so if it's not sorted by Monday I would give them a ring and it will all be fine.
It's quite useful to find people in these forums. Are you doing general primary or early years?x

Yeh, I will get it sorted on Monday! I know it can be quite daunting knowing that you're moving and not going to know anyone. I am on the Primary 5-11 course. I work in a Primary School as a Learning Mentor, and assist in year 6 class...I did a bit of voluntary in a nusery setting but seem to enjoy the older ones more so. How about you?
Reply 17
We will be on the same course, I'm also doing 5-11. I have been working as a voluntary classroom assistant since September, and I also work at another school in the afterschool club for the children whose parent's can't get them at 3.15pm x
Reply 18
That's good news! If we both go for Halls, may end up in same one! I think they share 11, that's quite a lot for Halls isn't it! Still, everyone will be in same boat!
Reply 19
Original post by Jodie1023
Well done! I also found out yesturday that I have a place! Mine was the morning session too, what was your teaching task?

I did napkin folding and was in the first bunch of people to be called out. How about you, what was your task?

Ooooh this is all very exciting!! Does anyone know roughly when we start? I know I am way ahead of time here but I am going to have to book time off work to go house hunting etc

Quick Reply

Latest