The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by tateco
I know people have different opinions but just couldn't stand to see you putting people off other universities instead of Durham just because you want to go there :P

Durham is a household name so it is probably more employable on the surface, but degrees from other institutions like Bath could easily lead to postgrad courses at LSE or Cambridge and leave you even more employable.

Thank you, I'm applying next year though, have a good time at Durham :smile:

haha thanks :smile: oh no i would never want to put people off other unis.. i just said my personal opinion on what i liked.. but i always acknowledge how so many unis are so good.. and Bath is an amazing institution too.. its always important to go where you'll be happy and enjoy the course.. good luck next year it'll all be fine :smile:
Reply 1581
Original post by Booshak
My five were Notts, Exeter, Oxford, Warwick and Bristol...

Where have you applied??

Hi again...oh I'm still in year 12.
What are you predicted?
They are all top uni's..well done. Did your school recommend you to apply to some not so good ones, or did they just say to put down 5 top ones?

Can you apply to 5 if you apply to Oxbridge?? I thought it was only 4?

p.s---I'm getting slightly worried because lots of excellent candidates with excellent academic results are getting rejected! If you dont mind me asking...what do you think may have got you accepted from thousands of candidates. Did you do 5 AS levels? I havent!
Reply 1582
Original post by angelic03
I emailed Birmingham and their feedback was just useless to be honest. They didn't help me at all with why they rejected me =( I hope you get Notts! What offers have you gotten and where else have you applied?

I didn't get Notts :frown: (along with just about everybody else). Stupid thing is I would walk 3As at A2, as my AS marks are all about 96%. :
(Seeing the responses about 3x as many good candidates as usual doesn't really help though, it doesn't explain why they pick one over the other. I need to know in case I decide to reapply next year.

Oxford unsuccessful
Bath unsuccessful
Birmingham unsuccessful
Notts unsuccessful
Cardiff AAB

Pretty unsuccessful really ..wish I'd applied to Durham now, they seem to be taking lots of people :s-smilie:
Original post by mickeyb
I didn't get Notts :frown: (along with just about everybody else). Stupid thing is I would walk 3As at A2, as my AS marks are all about 96%. :
(Seeing the responses about 3x as many good candidates as usual doesn't really help though, it doesn't explain why they pick one over the other. I need to know in case I decide to reapply next year.

Oxford unsuccessful
Bath unsuccessful
Birmingham unsuccessful
Notts unsuccessful
Cardiff AAB

Pretty unsuccessful really ..wish I'd applied to Durham now, they seem to be taking lots of people :s-smilie:

That's really unlucky. If your averaging 96% in all your AS's, your predicted straight A*'s? That's a lot better than me and I got an offer from Bath really early.

Seeing as your academic stuff is really good, maybe it's down to your personal statement?
Good news: No rejection from LSE yet.
Bad news: Rejection from Warwick.

Does that mean I'll get rejected from LSE as LSE's a better uni than Warwick hmmmmmmm?

Cambridge: Unsuccessful
UCL: Waiting
LSE: Waiting
Nottingham: AAA Offer
Warwick: Unsuccessful
Reply 1585
Original post by markwilliams_hello

Does that mean I'll get rejected from LSE as LSE's a better uni than Warwick hmmmmmmm?

Generally, I would believe so :frown:
Original post by TomasK
Generally, I would believe so :frown:

SHET.
SHET.

I don't think you will instantly be rejected by LSE at all. Clearly you have out-shone in a record number of applicants to Notts, by receiving an offer, you may have been borderline for Warwick and may get that LSE offer?

I don't know you academics, though.

I dont think that its a given that you'll be rejected from LSE... these universities are independent of each other's actions. Still keep your fingers crossed! Consider it a good thing that you haven't heard from them yet, since most people I'd imagine have already gotten their rejections maybe...
Original post by mickeyb

Oxford unsuccessful
Bath unsuccessful
Birmingham unsuccessful
Notts unsuccessful
Cardiff AAB

oh no..I'm sorry to hear.

What are your predicted grades? And what subjects do you do?
Reply 1590
Predicted grades:
Economics A*
Geography A*
Maths A
Further Maths A (AS level)

Already have Physics
Original post by mickeyb
Predicted grades:
Economics A*
Geography A*
Maths A

Already have Physics

Wow man, yeh this year universities are being super gay i already got A* in maths
prdicted A* in eco, A* in fmath and B in politics an got rejected from similar uni's to you, But i guess if you go cardiff you're more likely to get 1st which is really good with them A levels!
Original post by mickeyb
Predicted grades:
Economics A*
Geography A*
Maths A

Already have Physics

Ouch, that's really harsh being rejected by all those unis, with grades like that you deserve better, did you put down your UMS scores on UCAS or just the grades? Because if they're rejecting you in the knowledge you averaged 96% in your AS results then that's just weird :/
Reply 1593
was rejected by UCL, they said my language requiement was not good enough ;(
however I now already got what they want in IELTS, so I am going to email them probably...
Reply 1594
Original post by Meha
Hi again...oh I'm still in year 12.
What are you predicted?
They are all top uni's..well done. Did your school recommend you to apply to some not so good ones, or did they just say to put down 5 top ones?

Can you apply to 5 if you apply to Oxbridge?? I thought it was only 4?

p.s---I'm getting slightly worried because lots of excellent candidates with excellent academic results are getting rejected! If you dont mind me asking...what do you think may have got you accepted from thousands of candidates. Did you do 5 AS levels? I havent!

Hmm, yeah I can see why you're worried. Are you going to apply for Economics? If so then yeah, its ridiculously competitive!! Which is so annoying!! BUT that definately doesn't mean you won't get a place somewhere really good... It also means your applying for the coolest subject and everyone wants to do it, haha.

GCSEs: 9A* 1A
AS: AAAA only the average four!
A2: predicted A*A*A* in french, spanish, economics and have an A* in maths from last year. ( also note i don't have further maths! I was afriad that would hold me back but I don't think it did...still got the oxford interview. Bristol and warwick might hold it against me though...dunno.)

Hmm, I probably should have applied to some not so good ones as you put it, or an AAB uni, but I dunno, I kind of backed myself to get the grades. This isn't as arrogant as it sounds haha!! Because I'm taking Spanish, which I have an advantage in as my mum is hispanic. I still have to work REALLY hard to get the grades, but its easier, and so french is a bit easier too. And then eco...dunno.

No you still apply to five with oxbridge. Medicine is four. What kind of grades do you have? And where are you thinking of applying? For Economics? I have loads of friends who got maybe, ABBC, which is really good but not 'academically outstanding' at AS level and are still getting offers for really good uni's. I think its worth aiming high!!
Reply 1595
Original post by mickeyb

Oxford unsuccessful
Bath unsuccessful
Birmingham unsuccessful
Notts unsuccessful
Cardiff AAB

I seriously cannot believe that (saw your predicted grades). Uni's are so retarded. Are you going to go to Cardiff? And did you go for interview at Oxford?
Reply 1596
Original post by cat.chan
was rejected by UCL, they said my language requiement was not good enough ;(
however I now already got what they want in IELTS, so I am going to email them probably...

What do they mean your language requirement was not good enough? :s-smilie:
Reply 1597
Economics

St Andrews

AAA :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

all 5 decisions made, now to decide :s
Reply 1598
Has anyone got offers from UCL?

After being rejected from Cambridge that's my next choice and I want to knowwwww! I have offers from york and Bristol but haven't heard from Edinburgh or UCL which are now my top choices... typical! :smile:
Reply 1599
Original post by frodalod
Economics

St Andrews

AAA :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

all 5 decisions made, now to decide :s

hy there

when did you apply exactly? I didn't receive anything yet from them

Latest

Trending

Trending