The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3260
Tbh this is what happened end of last season, we kept getting lucky breaks, and we kept screwing it up, until eventually that massive crumble at Wigan sealed our fate. It's just not good enough. Though obviously the logic of 'Arsenal always failing to take advantage of the other big three's slip-ups' is slightly flawed, as the very point is that the other teams are dropping points every time we do, so Chelsea have failed to make up ground on us, and Utd have failed to widen the gap. And the fact that we played first means maybe they're the ones without the 'mental strength' to take advantage of our results! :P

So glad Utd lost yesterday though. Was getting a bit worried about their 'invincible' status. The fact that they've been playing so averagely this season would have made it even worse if they'd actually managed to equal our achievement. While I would've liked the satisfaction of ending their run ourselves, at a point where they'd *almost* done it when we play them end of April, I would've always had a sinking feeling that we wouldn't manage it, so I'm glad the pressure's off :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3261
What felt like a disastrous weekend turned out to be quite fruitful, then. :biggrin: I think that we now have three 'big' games: Liverpool (H), Tottenham (A) and United (H). And then the rest of the potential banana skins. :colonhash:
United play City next weekend, so one of them has to drop points too.
All in all..its a shame we didnt take advantage of a weekend of good results (apart from Spurs)
Reply 3264
JK.
OP
I think I heard somewhere that this was the first time a team has come from 4 behind in the prem, it's ****ing disgraceful of us to lose a lead like that, it was a joke. Thanks to United's inability to capitalise we're definitely still in the title race, Chelsea's loss means we've put a bit more ground between ourselves and them, too, I really don't know what to make of the weekend, though. That game has spectacularly highlighted the problem that we have with conceding once ahead, EVERY time we do it we look shaky afterwards, unable to null the threat of the opposition and take back control. Had United and Chelsea gone on to win their games, I'd be seriously worried about us totally crumbling and fading away as we have before, but crucially they didn't. The results mean that mathematically we're in a better position and that psychologically, the players shouldn't be affected too badly. Most people seem to be totally dismissing what happened with our game because of the other results, that's completely the wrong thing to do, imo. We should be thankful things turned out how they did, but still recognise the fact that there are issues which need to be addressed. We can't continue to rely on others ****ing up.

Seems like people are more bothered trying to save face with other fans than actually addressing the problems which need to be solved if we're to have any bragging rights when it really matters - at the end of the season.
Original post by mini_lidi
All in all..its a shame we didnt take advantage of a weekend of good results (apart from Spurs)

I don't really see it like that - our game was first so it's them not taking advantage of our result. :smile: Still don't really see us being anywhere near consistent enough to win the title, but with the remaining fixtures there's no reason on paper why we shouldn't.
Original post by JK.
I think I heard somewhere that this was the first time a team has come from 4 behind in the prem, it's ****ing disgraceful of us to lose a lead like that, it was a joke. Thanks to United's inability to capitalise we're definitely still in the title race, Chelsea's loss means we've put a bit more ground between ourselves and them, too, I really don't know what to make of the weekend, though. That game has spectacularly highlighted the problem that we have with conceding once ahead, EVERY time we do it we look shaky afterwards, unable to null the threat of the opposition and take back control. Had United and Chelsea gone on to win their games, I'd be seriously worried about us totally crumbling and fading away as we have before, but crucially they didn't. The results mean that mathematically we're in a better position and that psychologically, the players shouldn't be affected too badly. Most people seem to be totally dismissing what happened with our game because of the other results, that's completely the wrong thing to do, imo. We should be thankful things turned out how they did, but still recognise the fact that there are issues which need to be addressed. We can't continue to rely on others ****ing up.

Seems like people are more bothered trying to save face with other fans than actually addressing the problems which need to be solved if we're to have any bragging rights when it really matters - at the end of the season.

"Please rate some other members before rating this member again."

I'm sick of this happening :colonhash:
Original post by wiggles
The fact that they've been playing so averagely this season would have made it even worse if they'd actually managed to equal our achievement.

Yeah, going unbeaten in the league is an achievement but United have never talked up such a feat - and if I recall correctly, Fergie himself said that it'd be impossible to replicate what Arsenal did in 2004. It seems to me that Arsenal fans were making a bigger deal about it than United fans.

Also, Pires dived to gain a point at Pompey that season. Invincibles, maybe. But people seem to forget that game.
Its a big deal. You won't know how much of a deal it is until you experience it :ahee:
You could say it's like winning the treble, am I right? :ahee:
Reply 3270
Original post by Niall2407
To be fair, in both of the games we were missing key players; in the arsenal game we were missing balotelli and silva. Take silva out the team and we lack creativity. However I know what you are saying and it pisses me off too when Mancini goes ultra defensive. I would rather have lost 1-0 knowing we gave it a good go rather than lose 1-0 knowing we just sat back and didn't have a single shot

Yeah and for all the money that's been spent you'd expect your team to at least go for it, must be incredibly frustrating
Original post by a_t
Yeah and for all the money that's been spent you'd expect your team to at least go for it, must be incredibly frustrating

Yeah it is frustrating knowing we only got a draw at the emirates (normally a result I would take) whereas Newcastle and I think West Brom beat you at the emirates. We should have took the game to you but that's Mancini for you.

Why does money always come into this? The majority of our players have only been together for 1/2 years and to be third in the league is great. We will push on in seasons to come and be the best team in the prem.
Original post by TuckingFypo™
You could say it's like winning the treble, am I right? :ahee:

Or just winning the European Cup, tbh. :awesome:
Reply 3273
Well atleast Chelsea losing today has made this weekend abit more positive :s-smilie:
Reply 3274
Any news on Djourou?? I dread to think what may happen at our end of the pitch with Squill defending in the games to come! When is Verminator back!?
Original post by Okinawa
Any news on Djourou?? I dread to think what may happen at our end of the pitch with Squill defending in the games to come! When is Verminator back!?

3-4 weeks according to the Arsenal website :erm:.
Jack Wilshere fumes at referee after draw at Newcastle

I guess he didn't delete that tweet fast enough :lol:.
Original post by Mr Smurf
Jack Wilshere fumes at referee after draw at Newcastle

I guess he didn't delete that tweet fast enough :lol:.

I mentioned it once he posted it.

Silly boy, but how else is a footballer meant to make his feelings known?

Vermaelen and Nasri are due back together (about 2-3 weeks)
Rumors are that Rosicky and Dowd are being investigated cause of the money being flung around during the game
Reply 3279
Original post by JK.

You heard that it on motd :tongue:. I felt sick after that match but looking at the bigger picture, Arsenal know their problems which is the lack of leaders in defence. I would rather support Arsenal than Chelsea who have structural problems that money can't fix. I think Arsene has been trying to avoid that situation but has also avoided the fact that a young talented team need players that know winning is everything. That match just defined Arsenal perfectly, best strike force in the premier league, one of the worst winning mentality in the league. The real test is how Arsenal can bounce back from this, i really hope they don't go downhill from this.

Latest