The Student Room Group

Japanese Language/studies Applicants For 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by mmm-dorayaki
I've been asked for interview as well [21st Feb], in my case its probably because I don't have an A Level foreign language. But then my friend doesn't either and she was given a conditional to study Japanese at SOAS :confused:

So who knows! Maybe they want to quiz us on our personal statements :tongue:

I do 2 foreign languages at A level though :s-smilie:
Whoa, if it is then it sounds scary.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by RanmaSyaoran
Hello,

Would anyone be able to offer an insight into the differences between SOAS and Sheffield for a Japanese Degree?

Cheers

It seems no one can really answer this question - is it that much of a challenge?! I guess so!
I have the chance of getting in either of these uni's, but I must say Sheffield appeals the most because the topics learnt are of more variety as opposed to history history and more history like at SOAS (although quote me if you object!) The 4th year has far less variety than Sheffield's 4th year topics.

SOAS would be a far cheaper option for me as I live in the South East, and moving to Sheffield would also mean I will lose my car as I won't be able to afford insurance on-top!!

I do wish I could work out which of the two courses would be the most intensive academically and workload-wise.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 422
hmmm......SEAS open day invitation. Anyone going?

I think I'll probably pick the March or April date. I'll need to find out if I can get to Sheffield and back in one day though, considering I live on the South East costline.
Original post by moonlight_caster
It seems no one can really answer this question - is it that much of a challenge?! I guess so!
I have the chance of getting in either of these uni's, but I must say Sheffield appeals the most because the topics learnt are of more variety as opposed to history history and more history like at SOAS (although quote me if you object!) The 4th year has far less variety than Sheffield's 4th year topics.

SOAS would be a far cheaper option for me as I live in the South East, and moving to Sheffield would also mean I will lose my car as I won't be able to afford insurance on-top!!

I do wish I could work out which of the two courses would be the most intensive academically and workload-wise.

Hmm, Sheffield would be a lot cheaper for me, yet I want to study Classical Japanese and move onto Shinto history, so SOAS is appealing to me.
Reply 424
Hmm, Sheffield would be a lot cheaper for me, yet I want to study Classical Japanese and move onto Shinto history, so SOAS is appealing to me.

Classical Japanese is taught at Sheffield.
Original post by 0w3n-69
Classical Japanese is taught at Sheffield.

Any idea if they teach it at SOAS?
Reply 426
Any idea if they teach it at SOAS?

They do but the module is called Pre-Modern Japanese Language.
Original post by Fayzles
They do but the module is called Pre-Modern Japanese Language.

Thank you
Reply 428
so uhhh did anyone here go to the Manchester visit day yesterday (4th feb)? :smile:
It looked quite nice actually (though the uni generally looked better than the course... since no one's actually graduated yet... so they didn't have like a track record of anything.
Reply 429
Original post by frogout
just because no-one's graduated, how does that make the course bad? :confused:

I think its more that the course is very new, so there's less infromation on what classification degree people got in the end and what they ended up doing, so its harder to judge the course that way.
Reply 430
Original post by Susant
I think its more that the course is very new, so there's less infromation on what classification degree people got in the end and what they ended up doing, so its harder to judge the course that way.

Yeah, this. XD
Reply 431
Got a personal E-Mail on Saturday saying that Sheffield will offer me a place. (@_@)
Best day of my life.
Hi, I can't really be bothered to trawl through all these posts, but I was wondering if anyone else here is going to read Russian and Japanese at Manchester? It would be cool to find out, seeing as it's a pretty niche course.
I'm already studying Russian, so Japanese is the one I'm looking forward to learning most.
I also have an offer to do Russian, Swedish and Finnish at UCL, but I'm not sure if I'm too keen on that...
I'm so sure that Sheffield is my ultimate choice, however I still have to go to an interview at SOAS in 2 weeks time. Part of me just wishes I could accept Sheffield and be done with the deciding lol
Reply 434
I'm so sure that Sheffield is my ultimate choice,

Part of me just wishes I could accept Sheffield and be done with the deciding lol

What's stopping you? :V
It's not like you have to go to interviews, you know.
Reply 435
I'm so sure that Sheffield is my ultimate choice, however I still have to go to an interview at SOAS in 2 weeks time. Part of me just wishes I could accept Sheffield and be done with the deciding lol

I was like that over Manchester. In the end, I impulsively firmed Sheffield as I reckoned I'd thought it over too much. I just hope I've made the right decision :smile:

As someone who has been to SOAS (and subsequently dropped out) if you think Sheffield is really somewhere you love, just go for it. SOAS is completely different to Sheff, which is probably why I liked it so much :smile:
Reply 436
Original post by tstar-x
Sounds good, you must be looking forward to it!

Yes, I'm currently staying in the Endcliffe village in en-suite accommodation. The majority of accomodation is very new but can be quite expensive. It depends on your budget, but I would say all the accomodation is of good standard.
which is a good thing!

I really am =D Do you know what University they send you to in your 3rd year?
Original post by avila
Got a personal E-Mail on Saturday saying that Sheffield will offer me a place. (@_@)
Best day of my life.

Same, but I'm aiming for SOAS :'D

So far:

SOAS: Pending
Leeds: Declined (No language GCSE)
Oxford Brooks: Conditional
Sheffield: Conditional
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 438
Same, but I'm aiming for SOAS :'D

So far:

SOAS: Pending
Leeds: Declined (No language GCSE)
Oxford Brooks: Conditional
Sheffield: Conditional

When did you get an offer from Sheffield on ucas?

Personally, I can't decide between SOAS and Sheffield.
I don't really fancy the expenses of living in London and SOAS didn't "feel" right, so... I dunno. >_>
Original post by avila
When did you get an offer from Sheffield on ucas?

Personally, I can't decide between SOAS and Sheffield.
I don't really fancy the expenses of living in London and SOAS didn't "feel" right, so... I dunno. >_>

I got an offer on Saturday (my internet has been down so I've only found out now) and I gave the person a ring. I'm on an access course (as a mature student) so I've been offered a standard conditional offer but it isn't on the UCAS site yet.

What was it that made you feel uncomfortable about SOAS? I wasn't able to go on their open day. I'm not to worried about living fees as I'm bound to get in debt at some time in my life :\
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending