The Student Room Group

Masters in International Affairs, Sciences Po- HELP!!

Hello Everyone!

I am currently in my last year of undergraduate studies at UCLA and looking into applying for international affairs programs in Europe or even Asia. My first choice is Sciences Po's Paris School of International Affairs. I have a 3.64 and am a Political Science major with an emphasis in IR. I did a study abroad program at HKU for one year. I have interned at a law office and at US think tank East West Center. I did research on Philippine civil society and globalization's effects on the East Asian region. I worked in the Governance area of the center.

I was wondering if you guys think I actually have a good chance of getting into Sciences Po!!

Secondly, I was wondering what I should emphasize in my personal statement...I hope to join the US Foreign Service.

And lastly, I was wondering if anyone had recommendations of any other schools that would match my profile.

Thank-you so much!!

-Noelle
Original post by Ebesawright
Hello Everyone!

I am currently in my last year of undergraduate studies at UCLA and looking into applying for international affairs programs in Europe or even Asia. My first choice is Sciences Po's Paris School of International Affairs. I have a 3.64 and am a Political Science major with an emphasis in IR. I did a study abroad program at HKU for one year. I have interned at a law office and at US think tank East West Center. I did research on Philippine civil society and globalization's effects on the East Asian region. I worked in the Governance area of the center.

I was wondering if you guys think I actually have a good chance of getting into Sciences Po!!

Secondly, I was wondering what I should emphasize in my personal statement...I hope to join the US Foreign Service.

And lastly, I was wondering if anyone had recommendations of any other schools that would match my profile.

Thank-you so much!!

-Noelle

You know that Sciences Po is in France right ? ^^

Maybe you should go ask there :
http://forum.letudiant.fr/
http://forum-scpo.com/
Hello Everyone!

Thank-you so much!!

-Noelle

Hey I am also about the submit my application for that program. I am a history graduate from a British university. Currently working for an NGO based in Cairo.

I am also applying to the Graduate Institute in Geneva. Seems like that would match your profile too.

Good luck with it! Let me know how your application progresses
What schools are you applying to in Asia?
Reply 4
Well, as a Sciences Po graduate myself, I can tell you that they are quite elitist regarding admissions.
Normally, the unspoken rule amongst elitist structures is never to accept below 3.5 GPA for US people (you'll find this explicitly in some company's website, like Godman Sachs etc.). So all good there.

Your University seems to be well-ranked. I say you've got a decent shot, though you might want to know that in France, your degree's origin remains the single most important feature in your CV, even if you have 20 years of work experience.
My bet is, you'll be admitted in one the last positions or something, because they'll choose Oxford / Cambridge / Harvard / Yale as first choices regardless of the other aspects of your personnality. I know, it sucks.

Bear in mind that Joint degrees, where admissions are decided by a collegium composed of both Universities will probably value more your work placements abroad and research and stuff, so I'm only speaking for 100% French programs.

And regarding other universities matching your profile...
Ever thought of the ENA (Ecole Nationale d'Administration) ? It's the most prestigious school our country has. I'm saying that because you seem to want to work in a Public stucture (the ENA is for public careers mostly, but getting into Harvard is a lot easier than the ENA, so... )

P.S. : Assuming the French language is no problem to you, I'd say you will qualify, but barely, even though you sound like a pretty darn nice applicant.

Also, there are 9 IEPs (Institut d'Études Politiques) in France. Paris has a better reputation, but mostly in France. People don't seem to care elsewere, because all are very elitist Grandes Écoles.
Reply 5
Hello Everyone!

Thank-you so much!!

-Noelle

Georgetown. /thread

Plus it'll make getting the security clearance 10x easier. Always a bit of "special investigating" to make sure you haven't aligned yourself with another government. Anything to make the foreign service hiring process quicker is a plus.

Not sure how "hardcore" you are. But look into the state department officers for afghanistan and iraq. They've got quicker hiring tracks for them, and with your stats it would be pretty much a shoe in. Much quicker route than having to go through a 15 month grueling hiring process, only to find out you didn't make it.
Reply 6
Is it true that it's a little easier for international students to get into sciences po? I was told by a former student that sciences po craves international students.
Reply 7
Original post by adam0311
Georgetown. /thread

Plus it'll make getting the security clearance 10x easier. Always a bit of "special investigating" to make sure you haven't aligned yourself with another government. Anything to make the foreign service hiring process quicker is a plus.

Not sure how "hardcore" you are. But look into the state department officers for afghanistan and iraq. They've got quicker hiring tracks for them, and with your stats it would be pretty much a shoe in. Much quicker route than having to go through a 15 month grueling hiring process, only to find out you didn't make it.

I would echo the G-Town suggestion. If you want to get into the US foreign service they are by far your best option.

You'll also be "plugged in" with the right people in DC for after you graduate.
Reply 8
Original post by Krov
Well, as a Sciences Po graduate myself, I can tell you that they are quite elitist regarding admissions.
Normally, the unspoken rule amongst elitist structures is never to accept below 3.5 GPA for US people (you'll find this explicitly in some company's website, like Godman Sachs etc.). So all good there.

Your University seems to be well-ranked. I say you've got a decent shot, though you might want to know that in France, your degree's origin remains the single most important feature in your CV, even if you have 20 years of work experience.
My bet is, you'll be admitted in one the last positions or something, because they'll choose Oxford / Cambridge / Harvard / Yale as first choices regardless of the other aspects of your personnality. I know, it sucks.

Bear in mind that Joint degrees, where admissions are decided by a collegium composed of both Universities will probably value more your work placements abroad and research and stuff, so I'm only speaking for 100% French programs.

And regarding other universities matching your profile...
Ever thought of the ENA (Ecole Nationale d'Administration) ? It's the most prestigious school our country has. I'm saying that because you seem to want to work in a Public stucture (the ENA is for public careers mostly, but getting into Harvard is a lot easier than the ENA, so... )

P.S. : Assuming the French language is no problem to you, I'd say you will qualify, but barely, even though you sound like a pretty darn nice applicant.

Also, there are 9 IEPs (Institut d'Études Politiques) in France. Paris has a better reputation, but mostly in France. People don't seem to care elsewere, because all are very elitist Grandes Écoles.

Thank you, very informative. I'm also planning to go to Sciences Po, actually I want to go to St. Gallen but they told me they can't admit me with my current undergrad course, so my best bet is to apply through their double degree programs. One of those programs is one with Sciences Po.

Researching und asking people about Sciences Po though, I really started to think I want to go there, it sounds great!

I would like to ask you if you may know, if your highschool diploma plays a role at graduate admissions, because honestly, I sucked big time in school. Do you think extra-curriculars, internships and work-experience are as important as in Britain?

You said a GPA of 3.5 for US students is the minimum, do you mean highschool or undergrad GPA. It took me by surprise when I checked GPA converters that 3.5 in German grades isn't actually that good - still much better than my grades at school though - and I think I'm able to get 3.5+ for my undergrad studies.

Greetings
Original post by JetLeechan
Thank you, very informative. I'm also planning to go to Sciences Po, actually I want to go to St. Gallen but they told me they can't admit me with my current undergrad course, so my best bet is to apply through their double degree programs. One of those programs is one with Sciences Po.

Researching und asking people about Sciences Po though, I really started to think I want to go there, it sounds great!

I would like to ask you if you may know, if your highschool diploma plays a role at graduate admissions, because honestly, I sucked big time in school. Do you think extra-curriculars, internships and work-experience are as important as in Britain?

You said a GPA of 3.5 for US students is the minimum, do you mean highschool or undergrad GPA. It took me by surprise when I checked GPA converters that 3.5 in German grades isn't actually that good - still much better than my grades at school though - and I think I'm able to get 3.5+ for my undergrad studies.

Greetings

I was just accepted to Sciences Po for my masters

my profile:

2.1 history (68%)
1 year NGO work experience in the Middle East and North Africa
Languages: English, Arabic, Egyptian Arabic, Basic French

What you thinking of applying for?
Reply 10
I just looked everything up I asked about... should have done this right from the start, Sciences pos website is actually very good!:smile:

Original post by beefmaster
I was just accepted to Sciences Po for my masters

my profile:

2.1 history (68%)
1 year NGO work experience in the Middle East and North Africa
Languages: English, Arabic, Egyptian Arabic, Basic French

What you thinking of applying for?

Wow, congratulations! Your profile looks really good.

I wanted to apply for the dual degree program in International Relations with St. Gallen, in the Finance et Stratégie line. Thus, my second choice will be the Master of Finance et Stratégie.
So you studied history as an undergrad? I'm a history student, too. My specialization is East Asian Business and Economic Relations, though.
I speak German, English, Japanese and currently I'm learning French and Korean. I guess I won't be able to get a decent level in Korean anytime soon, but I tend to pick up French quite fast, just started though.

Well, I still have one and a half year to go, I would appy for 2012.
Original post by JetLeechan

Greetings

Don't know for science po, but at Master level you are not asked for your high school transcripts in most case (and "master" level for us start after two years "undergraduate"). So if they don't ask explicitly they don't care. High school degrees does not even appear in most CV, so I think it's not really relevant. (I'm in an Engineering Grande Ecole, I'm trying to help as you don't have answer, but don't take it as 100% true). Internship, work experience and extra-curricular are important.
Reply 12
Hey fellows,

I am French and a few friends of mine did intend that School.
If you guys need any help or have some questions, do not hesitate to contact me.
Hi all,

I am a recent graduate in International Studies planning on doing grad school in Europe. I have recently become very interested in Sciences Po but unfortunately have an overall GPA of 3.4 and a major GPA of 3.55. Besides my GPA, my credentials are fairly good. I have done internships in the political section of the U.S. Embassy in Buenos Aires and the International Programs Center at my University. I have work experience with real estate and am currently the marketing director of a high profile spa/hotel in Bogota, Colombia. I was highly involved in on campus organizations in college and held the position of the president of the assistant board of a legitimate non profit. I speak three languages and my references are former employees of CNN, the CIA and the State Department.

Do you think the admissions board would possibly overlook my GPA or should I go back to school and retake my freshman math classes (which are why it is so low)?

Thanks!!!
Reply 14
Hey knicolehansen,

I think you'll be just fine. I know they are very strict when it comes to the GPA cutoff, but with your credentials I think they will overlook just .1 points. What program are you interested in? I was accepted the International Economic Policy program back in January with a scholarship, so if you have any specific questions just send me a message.

Good luck!
Original post by joshc618
Hey knicolehansen,

I think you'll be just fine. I know they are very strict when it comes to the GPA cutoff, but with your credentials I think they will overlook just .1 points. What program are you interested in? I was accepted the International Economic Policy program back in January with a scholarship, so if you have any specific questions just send me a message.

Good luck!

Hi :smile: What scholarship did you apply for, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 16
Original post by punkyrocker
Hi :smile: What scholarship did you apply for, if you don't mind me asking?

I applied for the Emile Boutmy scholarship on the general application. It's pretty simple to apply.
Reply 17
Original post by joshc618
Hey knicolehansen,

Good luck!

Hey Josh,

I know this is a late question to your post, but now I'm applying to Sciences Po and the Emily Scholarship as well for the international development Masters program. If you can give me some tips for the personal statement, that would be more than good. I am originally from Colombia, completing my degree from a top University in my country and with experience as an intern in Brazil and India and with a volunteer experience in Cameroon. As you were admitted successfully, I would like to know if the references or the personal statement have a high importance in the process? and how has been your experience studying there?
Hi everyone!
I am also looking for some advice on the Science Po PSIA program. I went to an okay state school here in Oregon with a 3.6 GPA and a Political Science major...Minors in French and Business. I have studied abroad in France and taught in France. I am currently a legislative assistant but have intern experience with a US Senator, World Affairs Council, and others.

I'm worried about several things:
I did not attend an ivy league school, I don't have any close professors so my letters of rec will be mediocre probably, I never wrote a thesis, and my GPA isn't amazing.

I really want an international career and I understand PSIA is competitive. Do you think I'd have a shot at getting into the program?

Thanks for the feedback!
how is the admissions process ? Do you think it's a good school for an international student ?

Quick Reply

Latest