The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7940
So many movies to watch :sad:

But so much work to do as well :work:
Three films out in the next month I want to see that you might not have heard of (apart from stuff like True Grit and Paul which I assume everyone knows about):

Never Let Me Go - a British film which looks like it realises the true potential of the themes of The Island; i.e. make it about the characters, not about Bay jerking off to helicopter explosions.

Fair Game - Liman's companion piece to Green Zone, with a character that looks like an actually believable version of Evelyn Salt.

Waste Land - Not my first choice of cinematic doc, as Inside Job is also out this month (and everyone should check that out), but as I've already seen it I like a bit of variety. People in Rio pick garbage out of landfills. Artist goes to make portraits of them. Filmmaker goes to document them. Result gets an Oscar nomination. Sounds pretty good.

I know about Never Let Me Go. I've read the novel. :awesome:
Original post by Madjackismad

Is it any good?
Reply 7944

Original post by Phalanges
Is it any good?

The novel is brilliant, I have a feeling the film won't be. The whole point of the novel is that you slowly realize over the course of 100 or so pages what they actually are and what their purpose is. Parts like the wrist scanning never occur in the book and I think it sort of spoils the story from the off, as we know straight away that something sci-fi (ish) is going on.
Haha, the URL betrays the title of the article.
I didn't like the look of it from the trailers, but those reviews seem to be giving it a positive slant. And no amount of Christian bashing is too much :wink:
Reply 7948
Well, I just watched American Beauty for the first time and I have to say, without a shadow of a doubt I have never seen a more beautiful film and I doubt a film will ever have me so enthralled that I'm literally rooting for Leicester and on the edge of my seat the entire time. No film has ever made me feel just so... amazed! It's amazing haha.

Honestly, I just wish I could watch it again for the first time. The feeling I got when watching that, I just couldn't stop. It's fantastic. I haven't loved a film this much since Donnie Darko.
Just watched Red and found it really entertaining. John Malkovich seems like such a great guy.
I think i'll enjoy Paul as much as i enjoyed Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead.
Reply 7951
Anyone seen The Three Faces of Eve?
Is it any good?

Yeah, it's pretty decent. The character of Tommy is actually over-weight in the novel, and well, Garfield is the opposite. However, there was an interview with both Garfield and Ishiguro (who is the author), and Ishiguro thought Garfield captured the essence of Tommy very well. I wasn't expecting to have quite an emotional impact, but it really does make you think about morality and how you would cope in such a situation. In fact, it does this far better than some of dry and turgid "classics".

Aja is also right. Unfortunately, with movies now, you have to have a compelling reason to go and see it. If they completely left out the science fiction slant from all blurbs and trailers for the movie, then people who haven't read the novel would just dismiss it as some boring teenage angst romance. A lot of the impact that I mentioned before, comes from realising what is going to happen to them. It's actually quite chilling.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Xhotas
Well, I just watched American Beauty for the first time and I have to say, without a shadow of a doubt I have never seen a more beautiful film and I doubt a film will ever have me so enthralled that I'm literally rooting for Leicester and on the edge of my seat the entire time. No film has ever made me feel just so... amazed! It's amazing haha.

Honestly, I just wish I could watch it again for the first time. The feeling I got when watching that, I just couldn't stop. It's fantastic. I haven't loved a film this much since Donnie Darko.

Spoiler

I'm up to season 5/6 now. Contrary to my fears that it might stagnate, I think it's actually got a pretty decent changing narrative over all of the years.

I agree however, I think it's time to call it a day rather than carrying it on for the sake of it.

Having heard about the novel, I need to read Never Let Me Go. :yes:

Neds is on my 'to watch' list in the coming weeks. :cyber:
Went to my friends the other day and he was watching The Kings Speech on his laptop. As you all know, the film isn't out on DVD and hasn't even been in cinema long. Though the quality he watching it in was DVD quality. He showed me the site and it's full of films which are still in cinema / not yet out on DVD all in excellent DVD quality.

Now I'm aware that discussing illegal websites on this site is not prohibited and that's not what I'm doing, but what I want to know is how? How are they doing this? Do they have a bunch of 'insiders' sneaking out copies? Another theory I had was that people with home cinemas (proper ones) can contact them directly and ask for a copy to be viewed in their cinemas. However I can't seem why or what they would gain from burning copies and passing them around the internet, the type people with cinemas in their homes don't need to do that kind of stuff :tongue:
Reply 7956
Original post by The Stig
Went to my friends the other day and he was watching The Kings Speech on his laptop. As you all know, the film isn't out on DVD and hasn't even been in cinema long. Though the quality he watching it in was DVD quality. He showed me the site and it's full of films which are still in cinema / not yet out on DVD all in excellent DVD quality.

Now I'm aware that discussing illegal websites on this site is not prohibited and that's not what I'm doing, but what I want to know is how? How are they doing this? Do they have a bunch of 'insiders' sneaking out copies? Another theory I had was that people with home cinemas (proper ones) can contact them directly and ask for a copy to be viewed in their cinemas. However I can't seem why or what they would gain from burning copies and passing them around the internet, the type people with cinemas in their homes don't need to do that kind of stuff :tongue:

Ideological reasons, perhaps? We believe in free software/art and all that?

Or maybe some very skilled hackers?

Xhotas

Agreed, great movie. My favourite dialogue from it is

Spoiler

Original post by The Stig

:cyber: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screener :ninja:
Raging Bull.

This is going to turn into another Taxi Driver, isn't it? :biggrin:

I bet you haven't. How about Rambo?

Seen them. :pierre:

Original post by Guvnor
So many movies to watch :sad:

But so much work to do as well :work:

What is on your watchlist? Share so I may steal. :teeth:
Original post by Xhotas

American Beauty huh? Need to check this out. :holmes:

Latest