The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loxemori
that's a really good score. and no, my LNAT went really badly :/ 18/42 so i don't think the universities will consider my grades much when they see that i am actually an idiot. hahahahaa x]
what was your LNAT score? really good i bet. so jealous of all you super intelligent people.

I actually think the schools consider predicted scores more important than LNAT scores right? And apparently it's not good enough, I got rejected from KCL. My LNAT score was 24/42 but I'm pretty sure I messed up on my essay. I'm actually not quite sure about my English predicted since my English teacher seems to be telling us one thing while submitting another because in my school you have to individually ask teachers for what they've predicted you. Ahhhh I really don't want to hear back from schools anymore, too nervous.
Reply 2601
Original post by christydhrty
I finally got the newcastle offer, All 5 offers now :biggrin: so happy

Yep all 5!! Can't believe it.

Nottingham 38 pts:biggrin:
Manchester 38 pts:biggrin:
Newcastle 34 pts:biggrin:
Sheffield 35pts:biggrin:
Lancaster (my fail safe :colondollar:) waiting for the update on track but have a letter saying I have an offer.
Reply 2602
Original post by vanillachai
I actually think the schools consider predicted scores more important than LNAT scores right? And apparently it's not good enough, I got rejected from KCL. My LNAT score was 24/42 but I'm pretty sure I messed up on my essay. I'm actually not quite sure about my English predicted since my English teacher seems to be telling us one thing while submitting another because in my school you have to individually ask teachers for what they've predicted you. Ahhhh I really don't want to hear back from schools anymore, too nervous.

that sucks - 24 is AMAZING. but it's okay, you'll get into a better school i bet ^-^

i'm still waiting, but expecting my rejection soon ): siiiigh. i check my e-mail every five minutes, it's getting ridiculous -.-

ah yeah i had to ask for my grades too. so annoying, they changed the policy like three days before i applied so i had to spend ages convincing my teachers to tell me. >.<
Original post by Cast.Iron
Congratulations on your offer, but Queen Mary is not the third best university for Law in the UK. That said, it certainly has an up and coming Law Department.

Errrrrrrr, yes it is... Have u checked the guardian lately?... or other league tables?... its the 3rd best in law in the guardian, better than Kings or LSE, but for others, its in the top 5. So please, do your research better okay.
Original post by kennyparis
Errrrrrrr, yes it is... Have u checked the guardian lately?... or other league tables?... its the 3rd best in law in the guardian, better than Kings or LSE, but for others, its in the top 5. So please, do your research better okay.

Every year there is usually a "one off" uni in the Guardian (the Guardian btw is the least credible league table). This isn't to say QMUL is bad, but it certainly isn't LSE/UCL/Durham/Bristol/Warwick/Nottingham. Its a solid top 15. It isn't top 3. The generally accepted system (in no particular order within the groups)

Cambridge
Oxford

UCL
LSE
Durham
Bristol
Nottingham
Warwick
KCL

Manchester
Birmingham

Queen Mary is probably somewhere in between here.

Newcastle
Southampton
Exeter
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by nameeti
I don't want to be mean, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to burst your bubble.

League tables quite frankly are a very rough indicator of the quality of a university (plus they're partly based on things like student satisfication!). You'll find that Queen Mary's isn't part of the Russell Group, which the majority of the 'leading' universities are members of. Employers will tend to prefer more traditional, redbrick unis.

Tbh tho it doesn't matter what university you go to (barring Oxford, Cambridge and maybe UCL and LSE), as long as it has a fairly decent rep and most importantly, YOU GET A GOOD DEGREE!

P.S. Queen Mary's is in the East End of London lol.

Errr, I do know that Queen Mary isn't part of the Russell Group University which doesn't matter to me one bit. By the way, I got an offer from UCL which as you say is part of the "russel group" university, however, not only is it quite crap, the students there are VERY unhappy!!. Queen mary's isn't only great, its one of the places employers come to when trying to recruit individuals.

BTW I have been there, at numerous times in fact and its wonderful, so i know where its located thank you very much.

I went to UCL once and i absolutely HATED it!!! It seems I'll be one of the people that put UCL as my insurance choice. Guys not only would you have to spend 3 yrs of your life in your chosen university, its where you would find ur lasting friends!!! And UCL is HORRIBLE. you have noo idea, I should know. my elder brother went there. HE HATED IT A LOT!!!!

As if it isn't league tables you are using to decide that "red brick universities" are the best, so what are you on about. As i said before, go check the guardian!!
Original post by adam0311
Every year there is usually a "one off" uni in the Guardian (the Guardian btw is the least credible league table). This isn't to say QMUL is bad, but it certainly isn't LSE/UCL/Durham/Bristol/Warwick/Nottingham. Its a solid top 15. It isn't top 3. The generally accepted system (in no particular order within the groups)

Cambridge
Oxford

UCL
LSE
Durham
Bristol
Nottingham
Warwick
KCL

Manchester
Birmingham

Newcastle
Southampton
Exeter

Source: Higher Education Statistics Agency (Hesa); National Student Survey
1 Oxford 100 10.7 10 529 8 84
2 Cambridge 87.3 97 96 77 15.1 10 541 8 84
3 Queen Mary 80.6 92 92 77 16 10 421 7 87
4 UCL 77.3 91 92 65 15.2 9 497 8 82
5 King's College London 73.4 85 91 72 14.1 7 460 9 78
6 London School of Economics 71.8 82 81 65 13.1 8 486 9 77

What are u on about now ??...!!!! : S

And how would you know the guardian as you say "is the least credible league table"?... All league tables are based on extensive research and I doubt the quardian fabricate any of the information they present. So how are they the the "least credible"?!!!
Original post by Jakko247
Oh look,

Durham University
University of Exeter
Loughborough University
University of St Andrews
University of York
Lancaster University

Aren't members of the Russell Group, they must be crap! :rolleyes:

But all, including QM, are members of the 1994 group of universities.

What a lame argument you put forward.
The main benefit of being a Russell Group member, is the research grants members receive, considering QM has the 16th highest funding in the UK, it's not a dramatic disbenefit!

I think you will find QM is top 10 in every league table for law, and the fact is it located in the East End isn't really a drawback either; we're really close to the olympic stadium and the whole area, including the university campus, is being renovated.

EXACTLY!!!!! I totally agree with you. :smile: QUEEN MARY IS THE BEST!!! And to think she/he is applying to university this year to?.. I think you would find that your university course would be quite challenging for you, if you dont know how to write up an effective argument. Just saying :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

And how would you know the guardian as you say "is the least credible league table"?... All league tables are based on extensive research and I doubt the quardian fabricate any of the information they present. So how are they the the "least credible"?!!!

Bro, look I'm not trying to debate this. But you shouldn't base an entire reputation off of the guardian. The guardian is there to sell newspapers and advertising space. When you read these things, you have to keep the publishers interests in mind. I think the guardian (compared to the times and complete university guide) has the most flawed method of ranking. For example, Robert Gordon is ranked number 17 and Durham is ranked number 22. I don't think anyone on TSR would argue Robert Gordon as the better uni. SOAS is ranked higher than Bristol? And Stirling is higher than Leicester? Sheffield is worse than Thames Valley?

Aside from understanding the publishers interest, you have to look at how the rankings are structured. You can pick any variable and make a uni rank well. Here's a quick example in a different context. A school called Thomas Cooley is arguably one of the worst law schools in the US. They publish their own rankings every year. They rank themselves number 2, only behind Harvard. They place themselves ahead of Yale, Columbia, Northwestern, etc. How do they justify it? They use the following variables--square footage of the library, enrollment size, library seating capacity, available computers, and number of librarians.

Newspaper rankings fluctuate every year. What I posted is probably the closest general reputation you're going to get. Do you really think hiring partners are going to the newsstand once a year, purchasing a copy of the Guardian and adjusting their hiring strategy based off of the fluctuations? No.

And I'd just like to reiterate my point. QMUL IS A GOOD UNI. I've defended QMUL countless times in other threads. But it isn't number 3. I don't even think Jakko would argue that.
Errr, I do know that Queen Mary isn't part of the Russell Group University which doesn't matter to me one bit. By the way, I got an offer from UCL which as you say is part of the "russel group" university, however, not only is it quite crap, the students there are VERY unhappy!!. Queen mary's isn't only great, its one of the places employers come to when trying to recruit individuals.

BTW I have been there, at numerous times in fact and its wonderful, so i know where its located thank you very much.

I went to UCL once and i absolutely HATED it!!! It seems I'll be one of the people that put UCL as my insurance choice. Guys not only would you have to spend 3 yrs of your life in your chosen university, its where you would find ur lasting friends!!! And UCL is HORRIBLE. you have noo idea, I should know. my elder brother went there. HE HATED IT A LOT!!!!

As if it isn't league tables you are using to decide that "red brick universities" are the best, so what are you on about. As i said before, go check the guardian!!

You can't be serious. Come on bro, you're going to become a lawyer. Use your critical thinking abilities!
Reply 2610
I will never understand why you guys spend your time criticising the universities other people like or want to go to. Whether it makes you feel better about yourself or whatever you're trying to prove, it is just silly. Someone likes Queen Mary and thinks its the best, someone else feels otherwise, why does anyone care? live and let live!
Bro, look I'm not trying to debate this. But you shouldn't base an entire reputation off of the guardian. The guardian is there to sell newspapers and advertising space. When you read these things, you have to keep the publishers interests in mind. I think the guardian (compared to the times and complete university guide) has the most flawed method of ranking. For example, Robert Gordon is ranked number 17 and Durham is ranked number 22. I don't think anyone on TSR would argue Robert Gordon as the better uni. SOAS is ranked higher than Bristol? And Stirling is higher than Leicester? Sheffield is worse than Thames Valley?

Aside from understanding the publishers interest, you have to look at how the rankings are structured. You can pick any variable and make a uni rank well. Here's a quick example in a different context. A school called Thomas Cooley is arguably one of the worst law schools in the US. They publish their own rankings every year. They rank themselves number 2, only behind Harvard. They place themselves ahead of Yale, Columbia, Northwestern, etc. How do they justify it? They use the following variables--square footage of the library, enrollment size, library seating capacity, available computers, and number of librarians.

Newspaper rankings fluctuate every year. What I posted is probably the closest general reputation you're going to get. Do you really think hiring partners are going to the newsstand once a year, purchasing a copy of the Guardian and adjusting their hiring strategy based off of the fluctuations? No.

And I'd just like to reiterate my point. QMUL IS A GOOD UNI. I've defended QMUL countless times in other threads. But it isn't number 3. I don't even think Jakko would argue that.

Guys, the Guardian has the students' point of view and that must be important for anyone intending to spend time there. no assessment /ranking is perfect but the Government research assessmment exercise is certainly very reliable as to their academic expertise:
Institution name FTE Category A staff submitted 4* 3*2* 1* unclassified Average ranking
London School of Economics 50.95 45 30 15 10 0 3.100
University College London 42.8 35 40 20 5 0 3.050
University of Oxford 103.5 35 35 25 5 0 3.000
University of Durham 31 30 35 30 5 0 2.900
University of Nottingham 46.43 30 35 30 5 0 2.900
University of Kent 36.5 30 35 25 10 0 2.850
Cardiff University 24.85 25 35 35 5 0 2.800
Queen's University Belfast 35.5 25 35 35 5 0 2.800
University of Cambridge 83.27 25 35 35 5 0 2.800
University of Edinburgh 48.74 30 25 35 10 0 2.750
Queen Mary, 48.83 20 40 30 10 0 2.700
University of Reading 21.9 20 40 30 10 0 2.700
University of Ulster 24.4 20 35 35 10 0 2.650
University of Strathclyde 20.5 20 40 25 15 0 2.650
University of Birmingham 26 15 45 30 10 0 2.650
University of Bristol 43.7 15 40 35 10 0 2.600

Bristol is only 16th! look at the last column. Kent is really great value: very strong academics but easy to get in.
Original post by Varethika
Guys, the Guardian has the students' point of view and that must be important for anyone intending to spend time there. no assessment /ranking is perfect but the Government research assessmment exercise is certainly very reliable as to their academic expertise:
Institution name FTE Category A staff submitted 4* 3*2* 1* unclassified Average ranking
London School of Economics 50.95 45 30 15 10 0 3.100
University College London 42.8 35 40 20 5 0 3.050
University of Oxford 103.5 35 35 25 5 0 3.000
University of Durham 31 30 35 30 5 0 2.900
University of Nottingham 46.43 30 35 30 5 0 2.900
University of Kent 36.5 30 35 25 10 0 2.850
Cardiff University 24.85 25 35 35 5 0 2.800
Queen's University Belfast 35.5 25 35 35 5 0 2.800
University of Cambridge 83.27 25 35 35 5 0 2.800
University of Edinburgh 48.74 30 25 35 10 0 2.750
Queen Mary, 48.83 20 40 30 10 0 2.700
University of Reading 21.9 20 40 30 10 0 2.700
University of Ulster 24.4 20 35 35 10 0 2.650
University of Strathclyde 20.5 20 40 25 15 0 2.650
University of Birmingham 26 15 45 30 10 0 2.650
University of Bristol 43.7 15 40 35 10 0 2.600

Bristol is only 16th! look at the last column. Kent is really great value: very strong academics but easy to get in.

Agree. I think the RAE is a valuable tool. Not necessarily as a method of ranking, but more so to see where the unis sit. I think it shows how strong some of the underrepresented unis are--Cardiff and Reading, for example.

Lol you serious? You're placing QMUL above UCL - and the LSE etc - on the basis that a table that also ranks Stirling above Durham says you should?
Get out.

Congrats on your offer.

Cambridge
Oxford

UCL
LSE
Durham
Bristol
Nottingham
Warwick
KCL

Manchester
Birmingham

Newcastle
Southampton
Exeter

I'd move Bristol and Warwick down to the Manchester and Birmingham group personally. QMUL would go in that group.
My $0.02
Reply 2615
Original post by marcussjd9
I despise you

I have :
Exeter - AAA
Cardiff - AAA/AABB
Kent - AAB

How many people have heard from Bristol? Successful or otherwise? Applied 4 months ago now :/

still havn't heard from bristol either ...im getting really impatient! i applied in october!
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I'd move Bristol and Warwick down to the Manchester and Birmingham group personally. QMUL would go in that group.
My $0.02

I could agree w/ this.
Reply 2617
Original post by Jakko247
Oh look,

Durham University
University of Exeter
Loughborough University
University of St Andrews
University of York
Lancaster University

Aren't members of the Russell Group, they must be crap! :rolleyes:

But all, including QM, are members of the 1994 group of universities.

What a lame argument you put forward.
The main benefit of being a Russell Group member, is the research grants members receive, considering QM has the 16th highest funding in the UK, it's not a dramatic disbenefit!

I think you will find QM is top 10 in every league table for law, and the fact is it located in the East End isn't really a drawback either; we're really close to the olympic stadium and the whole area, including the university campus, is being renovated.

Durham University = over-rated
University of Exeter = decent
Loughborough University = decent in few fields
University of St Andrews = decent for scotland...
University of York = crap
Lancaster University = crap

QM = S H I ,,,,,
Reply 2618
Original post by Potiron
Go on then. Cardiff have emailed, thanking me for applying, and informing me that they will let me know their decision soon but in the mean time I'm invited to visit them.

What's that all about?

I think I've seen a few, so I reckon no news is good news :wink:

I also got an invite before my offer, so i reckon that if they invite you it means your going to get an offer :biggrin:
Reply 2619
Original post by teaandcoffee
Last time I looked Lancaster and York University weren't crap :tongue:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=specsavers

Latest

Trending

Trending