The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abiraleft
Barcelona are more than a club - they're also a science institution. Apparently, they've made the latest medical breakthrough by discovering that DNA actually stops affecting individuals when they have enough midfielders in their squad. :dunce:

(Wouldn't get my hopes up of Cesc staying, but still.)

And apparently, it's the Switzlerlend medical team who said that Djourou should be fine in a week. Still nothing on arsenal.com. :dontknow:

I'd trust the swiss fa rather than arsenal.com :colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:
Reply 3381
Cesc will be gone in the summer, ive already accepted it tbh. Hope Djourou comes back ASAP with Varm and Nasri and we can focus on the league.

I really hope AC Milan batter Spurs as well cos lets face it, im just hopeing the agg score vs Barca will be no more then 2 goals. Imagine if Spurs get quarter finals and we dont :afraid:
Reply 3382
Original post by Ano1
Cesc will be gone in the summer, ive already accepted it tbh. Hope Djourou comes back ASAP with Varm and Nasri and we can focus on the league.

I really hope AC Milan batter Spurs as well cos lets face it, im just hopeing the agg score vs Barca will be no more then 2 goals. Imagine if Spurs get quarter finals and we dont :afraid:

I don't think that will show Spurs are a better european club than us just because they progressed and we didn't. If you ask anyone who will you rather face in the last 16 out of those 2, then I can guarantee any intelligent football fan will say AC Milan. However, if we do win over the 2 legs then we would be happy to say ''we beat a stronger opponent in Barca than AC Milan''.
Reply 3383
The fact that Cesc is under contract till 2015 means we have him for another four seasons. Obviously Wenger won't want to let him go for nothing, but I still think the little we'll be losing each season he gets closer to being free to leave, we more than make up with his services each season.

Having said that, I'd expect him to go in the summer of 2013, as leaving it to the summer before he's a free agent would just be too risky as he'd be so close to going for nothing.

Even so, if Ramsey can get back to his best of last season, and even improve on it, I see no reason why Cesc leaving would cause an irreparable hole in our team in two seasons' time. With a midfield of Song, Wilshere and Ramsey, with players like Nasri able to play there, and Eastmond, Frimpong and Lansbury coming through.....
(edited 13 years ago)
This is an interesting read.

From The Mirror of all places, too.
Nasri or Wilshere are the likely replacements. Wenger is looking to bring in Hazard which suggests that Nasri will get Cesc's role -- and, at the moment, he's the only one who seems capable of it. The technical ability is there...in fact, he's faster and maybe even better able to take players on which might be able to compensate for Cesc's unrivalled ability to see things that others can't (or act like Bergkamp). Wilshere and Song will continue to be the spine of the team.

I don't think we will miss Cesc for his footballing contribution. Considering he's the 'go-to guy', he has been quite poor this season in that respect. Only 3 league goals which is poor considering the number of chances he gets. What we will badly miss him for is his ability to wind-up players, make dangerous tackles and intimidate the opposition. Cesc has more value for his presence than his contribution with a football. Nasri and Wilshere will have to learn the 'nasty' side of the game very quickly.

I'm not expecting anything from Ramsey. I simply don't know what state he's in.

:sogood: I'm holding my breath.
Original post by Overmars
Nasri or Wilshere are the likely replacements. Wenger is looking to bring in Hazard which suggests that Nasri will get Cesc's role -- and, at the moment, he's the only one who seems capable of it. The technical ability is there...in fact, he's faster and maybe even better able to take players on which might be able to compensate for Cesc's unrivalled ability to see things that others can't (or act like Bergkamp). Wilshere and Song will continue to be the spine of the team.

I don't think we will miss Cesc for his footballing contribution. Considering he's the 'go-to guy', he has been quite poor this season in that respect. Only 3 league goals which is poor considering the number of chances he gets. What we will badly miss him for is his ability to wind-up players, make dangerous tackles and intimidate the opposition. Cesc has more value for his presence than his contribution with a football. Nasri and Wilshere will have to learn the 'nasty' side of the game very quickly.

I'm not expecting anything from Ramsey. I simply don't know what state he's in.

tbh that 'nasty' bit will be a bit hard for nas and wilshere to learn... cesc does it rather "elegantly" without getting too hot headed....

Check out Nasri's cesc-esque assist :cool:

potential potential
Original post by marcusmerehay
This is an interesting read.

From The Mirror of all places, too.

Pretty much agree with the whole article. I thought Barton should have been sent off but I haven't really mentioned it as you just get the same responses e.g. "Arsenal are too soft" or "It's a robust challenge".

As for the Cesc situation, unless we win the league or CL I think he'll go. The amount of money we'll get will allow us to get in some new players and Nasri can definately step into Cesc's role.
Original post by antonfigo
tbh that 'nasty' bit will be a bit hard for nas and wilshere to learn... cesc does it rather "elegantly" without getting too hot headed....

Both are capable of it. Until about 18 months ago, we wouldn't have thought Cesc would become like this. I have hope for Nasri because of his 'tough' Marseille roots, and Wilshere being English, that they'll pick up the 'tricks' very quickly.
Wilshere will come back from this England squad like Keown ffs. :ahee:

I would have agreed with you about Jack a few seasons ago but he's really worked on his temperament. A couple of months into the season, he really took a kicking in a few games but for the main part he coped much better than I thought he would. He's really matured quickly so I'm sure he'll manage.
Original post by Overmars

No, we'll miss Cesc for his creativity. Forget the goals, he's still got 8 assists this season. We are a noticeably weaker side without him, his play allows Walcott, RVP and to a lesser extent Nasri to play to their ability, without him there's no-one picking the balls and doing the unlocking as has been shown over and over. He's a magnificent footballer and we don't have an adequate replacement currently. Ramsey has the most potential to fulfil Cesc's role, but he's a year off at least imo
(edited 13 years ago)
I've just noticed something - you know how everyone banged on about how 'Arsenal don't perform against the big clubs in the league' last season?

Anyone seen Chelsea's 'big games' this season?

Man City (A) L 1-0
Arsenal (H) W 2-0
Liverpool (A) L 2-0
Sp*rs (A) D 1-1
Arsenal (A) L 3-1
Liverpool (H) L 1-0

:mmm:

Also worth noting that last season we lost 9 games, whereas we've 'only' lost 5 so far this season.
Anyone got video of Rosicky's goal?
Reply 3395

I don't have a link, but hopefully the goal will give him some more confidence. I really miss the Rosicky of old.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/tomas-rosicky-croatia-8449903/

Well taken. But he needs to score a few like that for Arsenal before we can forgive his horrorshow on Saturday.
Wilshere taken off at half-time for England. :yy:
Reply 3398
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6742028,00.html

Do we trust them?

Also, rumors surfacing that Chelsea are going to bid 50 mil for Cesc in the summer?!! Feel slightly sick just thinking about it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Okinawa
Do we trust them?

Never.

And I don't see the point of reading/listening to anything coming out from their club.

We can think about it when the time comes. Until then, nothing can happen, so what's the point?

Latest