The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hmmm. I don’t trust league tables. Every single one of them places some place called ‘Oxford’ above Cambridge. I’ve never heard of it, but I’m sure it can't be very good. I can only conclude that it must be some form of in-group joke amongst the statisticians. :biggrin:

Original post by sophsxo
Congrats on the offer! :smile: that's amazing.
Do you mind posting your LNAT, and date you sent your application off??
Sorry to be a pain but I am so desperate to go to Nottingham and I'm still waiting :frown: plus I got a pretty awful LNAT score!
xxx

Thank you very much for the congratulations. Belated congratulations on your offers and congratulations in advance on any you’re still waiting for! I’m sure that Nottingham will see your potential and, if I saw the right one, your LNAT score is far from ‘terrible.’ It’s above average, which is the most important detail, and I’m sure that the universities appreciate the arbitrary luck-based nature of it.

As for me, I applied on the 15th October and, to my amazement given how much I hated dissecting texts rather than taking a ‘holistic’ view, I got 24/42 on the LNAT. If you applied prior to me, then try not to worry. I’m sure that they’re using a sampling method that treats everyone equally rather than discriminating based upon how much they ‘want’ applicants. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

oh haha you're so funny. :rolleyes:
Original post by Pipsical
Yep all 5!! Can't believe it.

Nottingham 38 pts:biggrin:
Manchester 38 pts:biggrin:
Newcastle 34 pts:biggrin:
Sheffield 35pts:biggrin:
Lancaster (my fail safe :colondollar:) waiting for the update on track but have a letter saying I have an offer.

Mine are:
Newcastle - AAA
Manchester - AAA
Cardiff - AAA/AABB
Leeds - AAA
Salford - ABB

Salford's my failsafe :wink: I'm from N.Ireland btw.
Reply 2623
Original post by kylee
I received offers from Warwick, Lancaster and Exeter.

Yay! A fellow Lancaster Law offer holder - there's not many of us Lancaster Law peeps :smile:
Original post by *BB*
Yay! A fellow Lancaster Law offer holder - there's not many of us Lancaster Law peeps :smile:

There isn't many Reading law people either! :frown: Lancaster looked nice, I was going to apply but it was too far away for me!
Reply 2625
Original post by Valindrius
Hmmm. I don’t trust league tables. Every single one of them places some place called ‘Oxford’ above Cambridge. I’ve never heard of it, but I’m sure it can be very good. I can only conclude that it must be some form of in-group joke amongst the statisticians. :biggrin:

:colonhash:
I'd just like to say that QM's reputation is not a stationary one at the current time, like most of the other universities. The direction it is heading in is up, and if anyone's reputation is going down, in my opinion it's KCL's, due to a number of problems.

I think there is a consensus amongst staff at QM that the law department is under-ranked almost everywhere, (perhaps not in the Guardian :P), but in most places, and they are actively seeking to redress that!

A number of measures are in place, and more will be coming into place to rectify this, and I wouldn't consider QM to be outside the top 10 law departments in the UK.

But it is childish to argue like this, if you disagree, fair enough, things like this can never be quantified to please everybody! It's best just to tolerate other peoples' opinions, even if you disagree :smile:
Original post by Jakko247
I'd just like to say that QM's reputation is not a stationary one at the current time, like most of the other universities. The direction it is heading in is up, and if anyone's reputation is going down, in my opinion it's KCL's, due to a number of problems.

I think there is a consensus amongst staff at QM that the law department is under-ranked almost everywhere, (perhaps not in the Guardian :P), but in most places, and they are actively seeking to redress that!

A number of measures are in place, and more will be coming into place to rectify this, and I wouldn't consider QM to be outside the top 10 law departments in the UK.

But it is childish to argue like this, if you disagree, fair enough, things like this can never be quantified to please everybody! It's best just to tolerate other peoples' opinions, even if you disagree :smile:

pos rep +1 :smile:
Original post by adam0311
Every year there is usually a "one off" uni in the Guardian (the Guardian btw is the least credible league table). This isn't to say QMUL is bad, but it certainly isn't LSE/UCL/Durham/Bristol/Warwick/Nottingham. Its a solid top 15. It isn't top 3. The generally accepted system (in no particular order within the groups)

Cambridge
Oxford

UCL
LSE
Durham
Bristol
Nottingham
Warwick
KCL

Manchester
Birmingham

Queen Mary is probably somewhere in between here.

Newcastle
Southampton
Exeter

I would probably agree with the 'one-off' statement if it was the case that QM was absent in the top 10 of the THE and the Independent's rankings

:smile:
Reply 2629
Original post by teaandcoffee
There isn't many Reading law people either! :frown: Lancaster looked nice, I was going to apply but it was too far away for me!

Aww :frown:
Come and sit with us Lancaster-ians anyway :smile::colondollar:
Reply 2630
Original post by kylee
I received offers from Warwick, Lancaster and Exeter. Still waiting for KCL
What about you?

You're already heard from Warwick, so annoyed it's the only place I'm waiting for, guess I should just stick to no news is good news :frown:
hi!

basically i just received an offer from QMUL and have an offer from Leeds already .
I got rejected from all my other universities.

Which one should I choose ? Or alternatively should I take a gap year and reapply next year ??

Advice very much apprechiated !!:smile::smile:

xxx

btw: the unis I got rejected from were KCL, LSE and UCL :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2632
Original post by sophie37
You're already heard from Warwick, so annoyed it's the only place I'm waiting for, guess I should just stick to no news is good news :frown:

Don't worry may be u will receive it soon
When did u send UCAS off?
Reply 2633
Original post by teaandcoffee

i'm a Reading law person too! i really want to go to bristol but havn't heard anything yet :s-smilie: loved reading though so will be firming it if i get rejected from bristol
I would probably agree with the 'one-off' statement if it was the case that QM was absent in the top 10 of the THE and the Independent's rankings

Haha you know what I mean.

I agree.
Reply 2635
Original post by *BB*

So I saw it from your profile that you received warwick's offer too
Which uni are u going to firm?
Argh i'm still waiting to hear from Warwick and KCL!
I know no news is good news but knowing people are already getting offers is freaking me out :frown:

Eeeeek.
Reply 2637
Original post by moonsailorkitten
hi!

basically i just received an offer from QMUL and have an offer from Leeds already .

Which one should I choose ? Or alternatively should I take a gap year and reapply next year ??

xxx

Hey well done on getting the two offers, perhaps looking around the unis will help inform the decision you make, you may even realise that you don't actually want to reapply next year.. Are both unis offering AAA?
Reply 2638
Wow I applied to city all the same unis as you except Leeds. I got an offer from city and a rejection from KCL so far. If you dont mind me asking, when did you hear back from LSE and UCL?

Original post by moonsailorkitten
hi!

xxx

Original post by emily28
i'm a Reading law person too! i really want to go to bristol but havn't heard anything yet :s-smilie: loved reading though so will be firming it if i get rejected from bristol

I hope you hear from Bristol soon then :smile: But it would be great to know another person going to Reading as well :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending