The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oh-No!
Its not allowed. If they find out, you could lose your job. Its apparantly in the contract somewhere (so i've been told!)

...wow. thats harsh lol. definitely wont be risking it then as theyre practically opposite each other :P i guess it makes sense although silly as its only a check out job :frown:
Hi guys ,

I was just wondering if anyone who currently works at sainsburys could help me. I have an interview for a customer restaurant assistant next week and wanted to know more about the job . I've heard that you get time and 1/2 for working on a sunday as a CSA , is this the same for a restaurant assistant ? And also by variable shift does this mean your hours can change ?

Reply 7622
Original post by queenbeekirsty
Hi guys ,

I was just wondering if anyone who currently works at sainsburys could help me. I have an interview for a customer restaurant assistant next week and wanted to know more about the job . I've heard that you get time and 1/2 for working on a sunday as a CSA , is this the same for a restaurant assistant ? And also by variable shift does this mean your hours can change ?

Wut? Have they brought that back then? I need to sign a new contract and get Sunday down as contracted hours.

Variable shift means some days you'll be working early, others middle, and others late. The actual hours should be on the vacancy page on the recruitment website.
Variable shift means some days you'll be working early, others middle, and others late. The actual hours should be on the vacancy page on the recruitment website.

Thanks , was also wondering if they are flexible once you are contracted for certain hours ( for example if my contract was 9-5 on friday ) could I change these to thursday or something if I wanted to .

Wut? Have they brought that back then?

I'm not 100 % sure if this is correct but I know other supermarkets such as tesco pay this .
Reply 7624
Thanks , was also wondering if they are flexible once you are contracted for certain hours ( for example if my contract was 9-5 on friday ) could I change these to thursday or something if I wanted to .

I'm not 100 % sure if this is correct but I know other supermarkets such as tesco pay this .

Well that depends on where your manager needs hours. Generally they can be fairly accommodating but it would be cheeky to get the job and then instantly ask to change the hours.

Sainsburys stopped paying premiums for Sundays and overtime shifts a long time ago unfortunately.
Original post by Oh-No!
Its not allowed. If they find out, you could lose your job. Its apparantly in the contract somewhere (so i've been told!)

Not sure if that's right actually. We have someone at our store who also works for Morrisons. Management know about it, and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Apart from the occasional time when they've turned up with a Morrisons shirt on underneath their fleece...
there definitely isn't time and a half for sundays. it's only for bank holidays. i think there's only 3 or 4 people left on our shift who get sunday premium now.
We don't even get 1.5x for New Year's Day if it's a weekend - I was in at 6a.m that day and no extra for it!
Reply 7628
Original post by Oh-No!

One of my colleagues works at M&S, and they don't seem to mind.
wish it was payday =( anyone know when we get the bonus this year? altho i don't think i'll be getting one our store isn't doing well
Reply 7630
i wish it was pay day soon (first time ive ever said that), this time last month i had 5k in my bank now it's only £98

our store ain't doing well on mcm, think we are still short of 80% with only a few visits left
wow whatd you buy? i have £176 and i really need to go to the opticians but i just can't afford it lol. it would leave me with nothing til pay day =( also need to go to dentist but again cant afford it. was planning to buy my passport this month buttt thats not gonna happen.
Hi guys,

I just had an interview for sainsburys today and i'm really nervous about the test they give you.
I felt I did well in the attention to detail , customer service and values sections but on the basic maths section I tripped up on 1 question ...

It was along the lines of " A customer buys 13 bottles of shampoo at 83p each , if they hand over a £20 note how much change would they get? "

I wasn't sure if you were allowed to do rough workings at the side of the paper so I just tried to do it in my head and I was also in a rush to get it done as you only get 45 seconds. I think I definately ended up with the wrong answer .

I@m just wondering if you have to get all of the questions right to be accepted , would getting 1 wrong make a difference to your application ?
Hi guys,

I just had an interview for sainsburys today and i'm really nervous about the test they give you.
I felt I did well in the attention to detail , customer service and values sections but on the basic maths section I tripped up on 1 question ...

It was along the lines of " A customer buys 13 bottles of shampoo at 83p each , if they hand over a £20 note how much change would they get? "

I wasn't sure if you were allowed to do rough workings at the side of the paper so I just tried to do it in my head and I was also in a rush to get it done as you only get 45 seconds. I think I definately ended up with the wrong answer .

I@m just wondering if you have to get all of the questions right to be accepted , would getting 1 wrong make a difference to your application ?

I don't think you would be automatically rejected on the basis of getting one question wrong. :smile:

The questions are multiple choice. If you remembered that it was the change and not the total price of the 13 bottles, chances are you would have picked the right answer. So, try not to worry too much. :smile:
Thanks you :smile:
Reply 7635
Hi i was wondering if someone could help me. i started working in Sainsburys last Nov. i was 18 on Sunday, so do i now get a pay rise?. if yes do i get it straight away or do i have to wait until i have been there for 12 months? i asked someone who i work with but they didnt seem to know what the situation is. many thanks
Reply 7636
Original post by dbt110
Hi i was wondering if someone could help me. i started working in Sainsburys last Nov. i was 18 on Sunday, so do i now get a pay rise?. if yes do i get it straight away or do i have to wait until i have been there for 12 months? i asked someone who i work with but they didnt seem to know what the situation is. many thanks

Yeah you'll get a payrise for the time you work after your 18th birthday, and you'll get another small rise after 6 months service.
Reply 7637
Original post by FXX
Yeah you'll get a payrise for the time you work after your 18th birthday, and you'll get another small rise after 6 months service.

thats great - thanks for that. do i have to see HR or is it done automatically?

thanks
Reply 7638
Original post by dbt110

thanks

It should be done automatically. If it isn't, go into HR when you get your payslip and tell them what's happened. You'll then get the extra pay backdated on your next payslip.
Reply 7639
Original post by dbt110

thanks

Automatically done :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending