The Student Room Group

Saint Olaves Grammar School

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by max25
im applying to saint olaves.... theres **** load of competition for this school! haha, mine are like all a* then 3 a, but i really want to know what the exams are gonna be like so i can prepare:s well wanna go there!

So sorry it took me so long to reply, i completely forgot up until now.
I'm predicted 11 a*'s and 2 a's.
If i'm honest, I haven't really revised and now I fear i may have left it just a tad too late, considering the exams are on sunday :tongue:
My friend and I have taken a slightly more layed back approach than others we know who have got in, in the past.
I guess it all depends what happens on saturday.
Good luck to you though, xxx
Reply 21
Original post by lilylouch
So sorry it took me so long to reply, i completely forgot up until now.
I'm predicted 11 a*'s and 2 a's.
If i'm honest, I haven't really revised and now I fear i may have left it just a tad too late, considering the exams are on sunday :tongue:
My friend and I have taken a slightly more layed back approach than others we know who have got in, in the past.
I guess it all depends what happens on saturday.
Good luck to you though, xxx

what are you planning on taking?
Reply 22
Original post by max25
what are you planning on taking?

God, sorry, i'm not very good at keeping up with this.
Maths, English, Biology and Rs :smile:

How did your tests go? :smile: xxx
Reply 23
Original post by lilylouch
God, sorry, i'm not very good at keeping up with this.
Maths, English, Biology and Rs :smile:

How did your tests go? :smile: xxx

found them tricky, how did you find the maths?
i took bio, chem, double maths and geography!
maths was hardest (left out 6/7 questions) but the rest were easy :smile:
do you lot think you got in? how did you find maths? x
Reply 25
Original post by shanedsouza
i took bio, chem, double maths and geography!
maths was hardest (left out 6/7 questions) but the rest were easy :smile:
do you lot think you got in? how did you find maths? x

yeah found maths difficult, i really dont think ive got in but knowing that others found it hard makes me maybe feel less bad... haha

oh how did you find chem?

do you think you have got in?
Original post by max25
yeah found maths difficult, i really dont think ive got in but knowing that others found it hard makes me maybe feel less bad... haha

oh how did you find chem?

do you think you have got in?

i think probably maths held me back, i get what you mean, it made me feel less bad when the girls around me found it hard :P

chemistry was quite easy i'd say, just had to think, made 1-3mistakes i think...same for biology, but bio and geography was easiest by far :smile:

i think maybe i did, but i don't know how well everyone else did, and even if i did get 95% its only going to be the people who get 98/99% who pass :/
Reply 27
Original post by shanedsouza
i think probably maths held me back, i get what you mean, it made me feel less bad when the girls around me found it hard :P

chemistry was quite easy i'd say, just had to think, made 1-3mistakes i think...same for biology, but bio and geography was easiest by far :smile:

i think maybe i did, but i don't know how well everyone else did, and even if i did get 95% its only going to be the people who get 98/99% who pass :/

in a way, hopefully they will look at other things and not just the tests...
Reply 28
Hi everyone

I'm looking to apply for the sixth form this year, as I'm about to go into yr11. How is the application like and what types of questions does it ask?
Original post by Honey26
Hi everyone

I'm looking to apply for the sixth form this year, as I'm about to go into yr11. How is the application like and what types of questions does it ask?

For the application you just send a copy of your predicted GCSEs and write a statement and then you sit entrance exams, one in each subject you have applied to take. There is no interview. What subjects are you looking to take? I may be able to tell you what sort of questions they ask.
Reply 30
Original post by AmbitiousOne
For the application you just send a copy of your predicted GCSEs and write a statement and then you sit entrance exams, one in each subject you have applied to take. There is no interview. What subjects are you looking to take? I may be able to tell you what sort of questions they ask.

Thanks for replying :smile:
I'm looking to study maths, biology, chemistry and french
Original post by Honey26
Thanks for replying :smile:
I'm looking to study maths, biology, chemistry and french

Haha I'm not taking any of those subjects. However, my friend sat the tests and passed in maths, biology chemistry and physics and he found that all you needed to do was revise your GCSE sylabbi and perhaps look over an A level text book as well. That being said, as long as you look over your GCSE work you should be fine. Another of my friends who did not get in but sat the test did French and she said that as long as you are confident in writing lengthly passages and your comprehension is decent you will be OK. This was unfortunately not the case for her. Good luck applying this year and make sure you do well in your GCSEs as I believe they are raising the GCSE boundaries for entry to the school.
Reply 32
Hi, thanks for the useful information. I was just wondering if the 6th form entrance tests are multiple choice or written format and how long are the tests, I am looking to take Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths at A level in the sixth form. Any information on this would be appreciated. Please message me or post a reply. Thanks
just wondering how much of the maths gcse specification they cover in the admission test ?

Quick Reply

Latest