The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Offer!

Exeter
Economics L100
AAA

Decent.
Original post by tateco
Yeah, they say that after rejection but you don't get rejected because of "poor" GCSE's that is just one of the excuses for the rejection. Besides Oxbridge normally only use GCSE grades as an indication of how good you are compared to fellow students in your school, 6 A*'s from a private school probably put him below average in your school whereas my GCSE grades were pretty much top.

Then you should be fine, I would suggest that you apply for Oxford and LSE but be sure to put in a reasonable back up. I'm predicted A*A*A*A and my back up is AAB - York.
Reply 1662
Yay UCL offer for L101 :smile:

Spoiler

Here I come America :cool:
Original post by Firaila

Spoiler

When did you get your offer?
Reply 1664
Original post by Firaila

Spoiler

Congratulations! You probably just got an offer for one of the most, if not THE most competitive course in the UK! :wink:
Reply 1665
Original post by economics12
Then you should be fine, I would suggest that you apply for Oxford and LSE but be sure to put in a reasonable back up. I'm predicted A*A*A*A and my back up is AAB - York.

Yeah I was considering York as my back up too, I wouldn't want to put more than one "back-up" in though, as I'd rather re-apply with achieved grades than go somewhere I don't want to be :smile:
Reply 1666
Original post by GoldenApple
When did you get your offer?

Bout 11ish
Original post by tateco
Congratulations! You probably
just got an offer for one of the most, if not THE most competitive course in the UK! :wink:

Muchas gracias
Original post by tateco
Yeah, they say that after rejection but you don't get rejected because of "poor" GCSE's that is just one of the excuses for the rejection. Besides Oxbridge normally only use GCSE grades as an indication of how good you are compared to fellow students in your school, 6 A*'s from a private school probably put him below average in your school whereas my GCSE grades were pretty much top.

I think that's pretty silly if one's school has an entrance test, especially if at a Grammar School like mine which only takes top 2% or so.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1668
St Andrews: Unconditional :biggrin:
Original post by Ross_D93
St Andrews: Unconditional :biggrin:

what are your grades if you dont mind me asking? GCSE and A-Levels?
Reply 1670
Original post by joebarron
what are your grades if you dont mind me asking? GCSE and A-Levels?

No problem, but I'm Scottish so I don't know exactly how much help my grades will be. I got AAAAA at Scottish Higher (there's no A*). However, a friend of mine with the same results was rejected for Economics today, they stated Personal Statement as the reason. So looks like it's REALLY competitive this year, I mean he was a strong candidate. I think there are some people with A-Level AAA conditional offers a few posts back, so you could maybe ask them?
Reply 1671
Original post by thegenius31416
I think that's pretty silly if your school has an entrance test, especially if at a Grammar School like mine which only takes top 2% or so.

Do you mean my school? I'm at a state school (not grammar), there were no entrance tests? You had to get 5C's at GCSE to get in and that's it...
Reply 1672
OK - first time I've used this thing.
Basically, I have two unconditional offers:
Warwick for Economics; UCL for Economics and Geography...
Its a bit of a long story, but which one is more prestigious? Still waiting on LSE :confused:
Original post by CCKELLY
Its a bit of a long story, but which one is more prestigious? Still waiting on LSE :confused:

Essentially Warwick and UCL are equal. With maybe Warwick just edging it. But when you take into account the social side of living in London and the fact Warwick is a 15 minute bus ride from anywhere - alot of students pick UCL.
Original post by CCKELLY

Congrats on the offers. What are your grades and what subjects did you do at A level?
Reply 1675
Original post by CCKELLY

I'd pick UCL, but as someone already said UCL and Warwick are pretty much on par.
The reason I'd pick UCL is because I want to go to finance, UCL is recognised all over the world (I know warwick is too but UCL more so) and it's in London, easy to get to interviews in London and it's an amazing city...
Reply 1676
Original post by rubberdam123
Congrats on the offers. What are your grades and what subjects did you do at A level?

I got 11A*s at GCSE, and a C in art lol.
Also got 3A*s a A level in Physics, Maths and Geography, then one A in Chemistry A level too

So no economics or Further Maths, so I think LSE might be a long shot (although I did do Maths in one year :tongue:)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by tateco
Do you mean my school? I'm at a state school (not grammar), there were no entrance tests? You had to get 5C's at GCSE to get in and that's it...

No, I meant "one's school", as in generally. Sorry if there was any confusion.

I was just trying to say if they apply the policy of comparing GCSE results to the average in your school, the system would not be fair for those who go to schools with entry tests (i.e. the results would not show the standard of teaching the pupils have had).
Original post by CCKELLY
I got 11A*s at GCSE, and a C in art lol.
Also got 3A*s a A level in Physics, Maths and Geography, then one A in Chemistry A level too

So no economics or Further Maths, so I think LSE might be a long shot (although I did do Maths in one year :tongue:)

Very nice.

Yeah, i had no econ or f.maths at a level. i'm doing them in my gap year. Glad to see that its possible to get in without them.

However i only got 3 A's at A level in bio, chem and maths, so you pwned me there! Congrats anyway!!
Original post by Firaila

Spoiler

I love you.

Latest

Trending

Trending