The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5760
Original post by Meteorshower
On the plus side, just found out i'm going to research solar theory for 10 weeks in montana :smile:

Wow. I'm guessing that's probably less exciting than it sounds, but still...
Results are in for me and they seem to suggest that doing maths was a mistake...

On the plus side, just found out i'm going to research solar theory for 10 weeks in montana :smile:

Sounds neat... what are you actually doing out there?
Original post by SimonM
Wow. I'm guessing that's probably less exciting than it sounds, but still...

I dunno, sounds pretty exciting to me :p: Yellowstone national park + rockies + working with research data from new satellite = excited Meteorshower.

I feel insanely lucky
Original post by Hedgeman49
Sounds neat... what are you actually doing out there?

Depends which project I get assigned to but learning some background to a particular topic and then extending some research that one of the researchers over there is doing, then presentation and stuff at the end. It's an REU except they aren't funded by the National Science Foundation so Brits can do it
Reply 5764
I dunno, sounds pretty exciting to me :p: Yellowstone national park + rockies + working with research data from new satellite = excited Meteorshower.

I feel insanely lucky

Wow, that's pretty cool. Is it pretty much all travel expenses/stuff paid?
Original post by around
Wow, that's pretty cool. Is it pretty much all travel expenses/stuff paid?

Yeah they have a rather generous Stipend so I don't have to worry about working this summer really which helps
Hi, can someone help me with an old IA Tripos question from 2002. It's the first one on page 11 here, question 7D, about a differential equation. Many thanks!

ambience
Original post by ambience
Hi, can someone help me with an old IA Tripos question from 2002. It's the first one on page 11 here, question 7D, about a differential equation. Many thanks!

ambience
For help with questions, you should start a new thread in the Maths form (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38), not this forum.

But also check the guide to posting in the Maths forum: it's not a "do my homework for me" service - you need to say what you've already done, and people will generally only give hints.
To any cambridge maths friends on here, how many / what courses are you doing this term? And how are you finding it?

I'm having a massive nightmare workwise at the moment, doing 6 courses, only interested in 3, but I need some questions to answer in the exams. I'm not doing GRM or complex analysis
Reply 5769
Original post by ForGreatJustice
To any cambridge maths friends on here, how many / what courses are you doing this term? And how are you finding it?

I'm having a massive nightmare workwise at the moment, doing 6 courses, only interested in 3, but I need some questions to answer in the exams. I'm not doing GRM or complex analysis

GRM+complex methods were 5 of my alphas last year:p:
I'm currently attending 6 courses, only getting supervised on 4 though, woop.
Reply 5770

What alphas did I get last year... GRM, mixed complex questions, lin al, methods, analysis. I got the third highest 2:1 with that. You don't need many available questions to get a first! (+ CATAM, of course)
I guess this is reassuring, the problem I found last year was that I was only good at like, half the courses, and again this year it's pretty much the same, the courses i'm good at being applied/physics courses, and those also being the only ones which interest me! I guess i'll just see how things go, might drop geometry for my sanity
Reply 5772
I guess this is reassuring, the problem I found last year was that I was only good at like, half the courses, and again this year it's pretty much the same, the courses i'm good at being applied/physics courses, and those also being the only ones which interest me! I guess i'll just see how things go, might drop geometry for my sanity

If you can do 3 courses well, you should be fine(all my alphas last year were 3 courses+catam). If you can do 3 perfectly, that and catam is basically a first.
Reply 5773

I'm doing all 7 for the time being. I really need to drop something though, I'm only doing some of the examples sheets half-heartedly, but there's nothing I really want to drop.
Reply 5774
Doing Lent IB + SFM + AT + RT - CM - GRM - CA

This term is a lazy term :smile: (Although SFM and numerical stuff is good)
Original post by SimonM
Doing Lent IB + SFM + AT + RT - CM - GRM - CA

You did GRM and CA in your first year, then? :smile: Were you supervised, out of interest?

CA looks a lot harder than GRM. My brother tells me only a handful of first years are attending CA lectures this year.

Doing AT in your second year is impressive by the way!

ambience
Reply 5776
Original post by ambience
You did GRM and CA in your first year, then? :smile: Were you supervised, out of interest?

CA looks a lot harder than GRM. My brother tells me only a handful of first years are attending CA lectures this year.

Doing AT in your second year is impressive by the way!

ambience

Yeah, supervised in them both.

Both are entirely accessible to first years, it helps to have a reasonable grasp of topology, but it's really not that essential.

There's a guy in my year who's only been taking Part III courses since he arrived, so not that impressive in the grand scheme of things.

Just 3 (well, 4) courses (oh dear, the "c" button on my laptop stopped working): geometry, complex analysis and statistics [GRM done]. It's fantastic: I have the half the work of last term, so I'm working twice as hard. I'm hoping to get CATAM done during term, and learn the 'easier' of electromagnetism and fluids. Oh, yeah, and met top. Really enjoying statistics, complex analysis is good and geometry. From what I've heard, I'm satisfied I didn't choose numerical analysis.
Reply 5778
The third Geometry sheet has plenty of tedious calculations if applied's your thing. (Though you can often get around them. Using the definition of curvature in 3F is pretty messy, but you could get full marks in a couple of lines with symmetry.) It's probably useful for some more advanced applied courses too (General Relativity?).

On the other hand, six is quite a lot of courses. I'm not particularly convinced that doing courses you aren't any good at is of much use either. Given all the time I spent doing Methods, Fluids and QM, I don't think 10 marks was a very good return.
Original post by SimonM
Yeah, supervised in them both.

My brother's limiting himself to studying 4 courses at any one time, but he studies whole courses in the vacations, including all questions on the example sheets. A course takes him about 10 days, working all the hours God sends. Then he persuades his DOS to arrange for supervisions the following term.

But he told me he got the feeling the supervisions would be more likely to be provided in terms the courses are being lectured in. E.g. his DOS would get narky if he wanted supervisions in the Lent term for courses only lectured in Michaelmas. His DOS can't get his head round the idea that getting supervised in 7 courses simultaneously doesn't mean he's really taking 7 courses simultaneously. Needless to say, this isn't Trinity! :smile:

Original post by SimonM
There's a guy in my year who's only been taking Part III courses since he arrived, so not that impressive in the grand scheme of things.

Wow - if he's fast at doing exam questions, the number of Part II tripos questions he'll be able to handle should be huge...

ambience
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest