The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

personally,i dont think the amount of rent matters.
even if the parent asks for 5p,the mother-child/dad-child relationship gets shattered imo.

but doing shopping or buying stuff for the house, with the child doing it willingly is perfect.
I pay my mum £200 a month, I think thats fair. I'm an adult and I earn more than she does, its only right I should pay my way.
Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

but as i said, it's very much a culture thing. I've only seen white families do this and never heard of any asian families doing this so maybe that's why i don't understand it.....

I agree with all this, really.

Long story short, my mother didn't have much in the way of savings or money when she had me or my sister. I grew up relatively poor throughout my entire life, and nothing much changed until I was around sixteen/seventeen or so.

Now, when I started part time work as a teenager during college, I had to give about thirty percent of the already miserly wages I accrued, and for the brief periods in which I worked full time, slightly more.

Although I agree with the sentiments of 'their house, their rules', and 'they looked after you since you were born' etc, it still feels like quite a bum deal. I never any real luxury, even on birthdays or major holidays, and yet there I was shelling out more money than I'd get altogether on both occasions every single month.

Personally, I would never charge my offspring rent to live in the house they grew up in, unless of course they were for some reason living with me as adults, working moderately well-paying jobs. I'd just feel bad in all other scenarios.

Also, when I did eventually go to university, I inquired to my mother as to if the bills had increased whilst I was away (as I didn't go home at all for the first three months or so), to which she replied they were virtually the same. Add together the fact that I never did eat much or waste electricity, I can't fathom what the supposed 'rent money' was for. To echo the sentiments of others, it just seemed like money pinching because it was possible.

Oh, and bump. :smile:
Reply 143
Original post by Menakshelatte
YOU PAY RENT YO YOUR PARENTS??
what has the world come to...

neg rep me all you want..i asked my mum if she would take rent from me she looked at me as if i was crazy..
maybe it's different with asian families..
all of who is neg repping me have stingy parents.

I've also experienced this with asian people........young asian adults usually don't move out of their parental home until after they're married and also I think the whole family dynamic is different.... I.e. it is an unsaid rule that the kids will take care of their parents when they're old (be it live with them etc)....none of this old people home business....

watched that bbc3 documentary presented by greg james on young people and unemployment and poonam's dad had the typical asian view of their kids and thier residential status...

You have have gotten negged for "offending" non-asians by inadvertently implying somin...... and then blatantly insulting them..

asians do your parents make/expect you to pay rent/bills etc..... are you expectedto live at home until you're married (generally. except for things like work,study etc)?
(edited 13 years ago)
My dad pays me £150 in maintenance and my mum takes it because she doesn't earn enough. I'm -£500 in overdraft. *sigh*
Reply 145
Original post by philistine
I agree with all this, really.

Long story short, my mother didn't have much in the way of savings or money when she had me or my sister. I grew up relatively poor throughout my entire life, and nothing much changed until I was around sixteen/seventeen or so.

Now, when I started part time work as a teenager during college, I had to give about thirty percent of the already miserly wages I accrued, and for the brief periods in which I worked full time, slightly more.

Although I agree with the sentiments of 'their house, their rules', and 'they looked after you since you were born' etc, it still feels like quite a bum deal. I never any real luxury, even on birthdays or major holidays, and yet there I was shelling out more money than I'd get altogether on both occasions every single month.

Personally, I would never charge my offspring rent to live in the house they grew up in, unless of course they were for some reason living with me as adults, working moderately well-paying jobs. I'd just feel bad in all other scenarios.

Also, when I did eventually go to university, I inquired to my mother as to if the bills had increased whilst I was away (as I didn't go home at all for the first three months or so), to which she replied they were virtually the same. Add together the fact that I never did eat much or waste electricity, I can't fathom what the supposed 'rent money' was for. To echo the sentiments of others, it just seemed like money pinching because it was possible.

Oh, and bump. :smile:

may be bum deal but I think its good you're helping out your family; much respect to you....... good on ya (may not feel like it when you're penny pinching)
Reply 146
personally,i dont think the amount of rent matters.
even if the parent asks for 5p,the mother-child/dad-child relationship gets shattered imo.

but doing shopping or buying stuff for the house, with the child doing it willingly is perfect.

not if the kid is raised correctly... sure it may hurt a bit....a kid gets money and he/she has to part!... character building.... has its good and bad points....

you asian?
Reply 147
That's the point..she shouldn't.
You having money to spare and wanting to willingly contribute is an entirely different situation to being forced to pay like some stranger.

I used to think the same about british families and making children pay rent/bills etc..

If the family were on a tight budget and needed every member (who was able) to contribute then don't see a problem, as that is what families do...all chip in....

If the family is comfortable and don't need to money as such, but do it as a matter of principle, that is another issue....
Reply 148
I think it's pretty bad that parents would charge young people rent unless they were in real need of it, it's hard enough saving for first homes, postgraduate degrees, et cetera without having your money sapped away.
I think what some people are missing is that if your parents are on income support or in any way received child support for you, you are legally obligated to pay rent. Or rather, someone is. If your parents received either of those benefits and you're living at home free of cost, then that means they're paying 'rent' effectively to the government via an increased council tax and residence fee that comes into effect in such a scenario.

I currently pay about £20 a week, which is the absolute minimum I can pay. My Dad doesn't want me to pay it, and hates taking money from me, especially considering I had the most spartan upbringing of all of my siblings, but in order to support my sister and himself after the recent benefits cut, it's a basic necessity.

So, if you have to pay rent to your parents, it isn't because they don't LOVE you, it's because otherwise it's actually costing them money to room and board you.
I don't see why people should have to pay rent to the parents, it's just so wrong imo
i think its vastly different, paying rent as a student, or as an employed adult...

as i see it

school: no rent
university: small contribution, only if parents need it.
job and employment after: You should pay your way in life, you are now a responsible adult, and your parents shouldnt be responsible for you anymore...
Im only 15 :biggrin:
I just showed my parents this thread: My mum said she wouldn't charge me rent. She said she would leave it to my own judgement and thought as to whether I would make any contribution.

She said if I wanted to : I could give it to her but she said she would take it and give it back all as a budgeting/finance exercise. :love:

My dad says he would gladly fund his new alloy wheels :lol:

I think if I paid and got my money back ...... I would shove it down thier damned throats so they get the message I want to help. :yep:
I pay £10 a week, but Im only in first year of college.

Maybe if you pay for electricity, water and food etc, and then maybe if it doesnt seem enough an extra couple of pounds?

I dont see whats wrong with that tbh, its only fair you pay your way considering parents give up alot for you :s-smilie:
(edited 13 years ago)
I've been helping my parents out since I was 17! Ever since I first got a job.

Nowadays I just pay the Sky bill - Phone, Internet & TV.
This way my parents don't get confused as to "Why the router is flashing green when it doesn't normally do that". Its my domain :smile:

I pay for my own shampoo, clothes & food too.
(edited 13 years ago)
When i graduate this year and hopefully have a permenant 15k job i'll be expected to pay the yearly household costs as my brother currently does. I would be expected to pay £10,200 of my salary towards the houshold.

Gas & Electric £2000
Council Tax £2100
Water £600
Telephone, Broadband & Sky £500
Mortgage £5000

For myself i'll keep £1500.

My parents would just be paying for food & home insurance which isn't much. Im fine with paying this much as it'll mean my parents won't have to worry about taking care of bills and my brother will be able to save up for a house once i take over! :smile:

Because im from an indian family, respect to elders and family unity is emphasised and im fine with this. I couldn't really care less about living with my parents till im 35 or something as it's common in indian families.
I pay them -£400 a month aka they give me £100 :biggrin: although to be fair it is coming from my living expenses account that was set up for college and university.
Original post by RIISE

Original post by RIISE
I'm living in halls at the moment but have decided next year to move back to my parents. I've heard £200 a month is about right but i'd like to know what others pay.

Eh?
My mother would let me live in her house for free.
South-Asian families tend to keep close
It's got nothing to do with stingy parents. We're asian, but me and my sister have to pay. My dad asks the bare minimum. And he wouldn't if he could afford it, but things aren't always so rosy. Me and my sister pay £80 each. Of course they wouldn't chuck us out if we couldn't pay them/didn't pay them, but they only ask to make ends meet. Is all.

Latest

Trending

Trending