The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Is Bath boring?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by mwhinf
New to this thread... I've got an offer from Bath to do Business Admin course - glad to see people enjoying it as it's my first choice. However I'm gonna ask about sport. Does anyone know how teams are selcted for football at Bath, and how to get into representing the Uni at it? And if you doing get in then what else can you do there regarding football? Thanks for any help

What A-levels are you doing and what was your offer? What sort of work experience did you have?

Sorry I can't help you with the sport but I think they have teams for everybody! x
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by mwhinf
New to this thread... I've got an offer from Bath to do Business Admin course - glad to see people enjoying it as it's my first choice. However I'm gonna ask about sport. Does anyone know how teams are selcted for football at Bath, and how to get into representing the Uni at it? And if you doing get in then what else can you do there regarding football? Thanks for any help

My boyfriend was trying to get into football - there are tryouts for uni teams in freshers week, and every department also has teams which play in an inter-departmental league. Tryouts for those are either in freshers week or one of the first few weeks of term, I can't remember. However the departmental teams can be quite clique-y; when my boyfriend tried out he got quite a few games along with the other freshers that made it through trials, and then most of them got dropped as the captain was a second year and favoured second years over freshers - that might not be the same for all departments though, and certainly shouldn't stop you from giving it a try as some freshers were kept in all year.
New threadish:
Hasve just got an offer for mechanical engineering have also got one for bristol not sure which to choose as my firm choice any help?
Original post by ameliajephson
New threadish:
Hasve just got an offer for mechanical engineering have also got one for bristol not sure which to choose as my firm choice any help?

Lol I'm in the same position (but for Pharmacology). Such a hard choice.
Original post by tehsponge
Lol I'm in the same position (but for Pharmacology). Such a hard choice.

yeah its tricky bath has technically the best course but bristol is great in pretty much every other respect I think i'd be happy at either but if i change my mind between then i may not have such a good chance to get into bath if I dont quite get the grades :/
Reply 65
New threadish:

I'm in my first year of Mech Eng. What would you like to know about the course?
Original post by Sharkbait
I'm in my first year of Mech Eng. What would you like to know about the course?

I know that with engineering its going to take up more of your time than other courses bristol say about 50/50 but on the open day Bath made it seem like it takes up all of your time so was wondering does it?
Also does living on the hill and having to take a bus into bath or then travelling to bristol for a better night out make much of a difference?
many thanks
Reply 67
I know that with engineering its going to take up more of your time than other courses bristol say about 50/50 but on the open day Bath made it seem like it takes up all of your time so was wondering does it?
Also does living on the hill and having to take a bus into bath or then travelling to bristol for a better night out make much of a difference?
many thanks

The course takes as much time as you want to put in. Its the same with any other courses. Of course they want you to put as much work as possible in but I've seen people get away with the bare minimum. However, you will only make it harder on yourself in the second year if you decide to do that.
In the first semester, I had 4 lab reports, 2 essays, 2 drawing coursework, and a few other assignments. People moan about them but they're not that bad if you don't put it off till the last minute. I didn't look at Bristol so I can't comment on their course.

With regards to going out in Bristol, no one I know has done it really. Only organised socials have gone out in Bristol. Mainly, because it's a hassle to get back since you have to get a bus or taxi. The nights in Bath aren't that bad. They cater pretty much for all music tastes. I for instance mainly go to the Rock/Metal night, but I've been to some of the other popular nights and it seems pretty packed. Depends what you want from a night out really, but no one really complains.

Hope this has helped.
Reply 68
We had friends at Bristol uni, so we went to Bristol 4 or 5 times in my first year. But if we hadn't then I don't think we would have bothered: its not really worth the hassle just to get smashed in a marginally bigger nightclub. In you first year you will probably only go to town about 2 or 3 times a week - theres more than enough entertainment on campus as it is. Obviously 2nd year onwards things change.
I for instance mainly go to the Rock/Metal night

Discord :rock:
Reply 70
As someone who went to school there it is a tad, but Bristol is really close :h:
The course takes as much time as you want to put in. Its the same with any other courses. Of course they want you to put as much work as possible in but I've seen people get away with the bare minimum. However, you will only make it harder on yourself in the second year if you decide to do that.
In the first semester, I had 4 lab reports, 2 essays, 2 drawing coursework, and a few other assignments. People moan about them but they're not that bad if you don't put it off till the last minute. I didn't look at Bristol so I can't comment on their course.

With regards to going out in Bristol, no one I know has done it really. Only organised socials have gone out in Bristol. Mainly, because it's a hassle to get back since you have to get a bus or taxi. The nights in Bath aren't that bad. They cater pretty much for all music tastes. I for instance mainly go to the Rock/Metal night, but I've been to some of the other popular nights and it seems pretty packed. Depends what you want from a night out really, but no one really complains.

Hope this has helped.

Ahh ok thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 72
I went to a Bath uni open day and loved the uni! But the town seemed a bit boring! Didn't see any nightclubs there at all?! Are there any? What's the night life like? Cheers:smile:
Reply 73
Original post by thecdon
I went to a Bath uni open day and loved the uni! But the town seemed a bit boring! Didn't see any nightclubs there at all?! Are there any? What's the night life like? Cheers:smile:

I dont even go to town during the week most of the time. I do my weekly shopping on saturday and have training on sundays. However, you could always go to Bristol for things to do or if it's sunny, the parks are always a nice day out.

Most of the nightclubs are underground. or hidden away. but there are like 6 of them.
Reply 74
I dont even go to town during the week most of the time. I do my weekly shopping on saturday and have training on sundays. However, you could always go to Bristol for things to do or if it's sunny, the parks are always a nice day out.

Most of the nightclubs are underground. or hidden away. but there are like 6 of them.

Underground clubs! Sweet! What are they like? like proper raves?!
Underground clubs! Sweet! What are they like? like proper raves?!

Well, they are just underground like physically, you've got Moles, Po's, Second Bridge, Blue Rooms and a few other places. If your a student there are plenty of things to do, and worst comes to worst its a 15 minute train journey to Bristol...
One of the most beautiful cities in the Uk and people are asking if it's boring... :no:
But then I am doing Historic Building Conservation so I have a slightly warped idea of 'interesting'...
Reply 77
I think it's inspiring, with all the Georgian and baroque architecture :smile:
Original post by fredscarecrow
One of the most beautiful cities in the Uk and people are asking if it's boring... :no:
But then I am doing Historic Building Conservation so I have a slightly warped idea of 'interesting'...

lol, perfect city for that course anyway!
Thanks neg repper :frown:
I visited yesterday, it's just amazing. I walked down North Road from the campus towards town and I could do that walk over and over again...but I imagine with a bagful of books and a long day on campus I'll end up on the bus!

Quick Reply

Latest