The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medicine Applicants 2011 :D

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Original post by filea
Hehe it's always good to be curious I believe! :biggrin: Ooooh really??? :smile: What did you do your research project on? :smile:

No actually I'm still at school, I'm in my last year of what we call "gymnasium" here in Sweden, which is senior high-ish :P Complicated system xD

Haha, so do I!
Its no where near as hard as yours, I did mine on multiple sclerosis; the science behind it and cures etc and also how it affects sufferers within society.

Oh cool, well clearly your educational system seems better than ours. Ive never known any people from sweden to apply to england, what made you decide to?
Original post by lola1993
I'm not!! Heard UCL interviews are quite friendly and mine was horrible! Let's hope this one goes better :biggrin:

when is your interview?
Reply 822
Original post by ryan118244
Haha, so do I!
Its no where near as hard as yours, I did mine on multiple sclerosis; the science behind it and cures etc and also how it affects sufferers within society.

Oh cool, well clearly your educational system seems better than ours. Ive never known any people from sweden to apply to england, what made you decide to?

Ahh interesting! :biggrin:

Well about the Swedish education system, I must say it is nothing in comparison to the UK. It's complicated, debatably unfair and it has a lot of flaws in it. It has some things that I believe is better than the UK system of course, but the cons overweigh the pros big-time... That's one of the many reasons why I want to study in the UK! xD

An example of the Swedish system:
In my UCAS application, I have 32 subjects. Also, the Swedish system only has three grades which are equivalent to Pass, "Good" pass, "Excellent" pass. etc etc etc...

Otherwise, I've gone to English schools my whole life, so I pretty much will have a hard time relearning everything in Swedish and I think that's completely unnecessary when there are waaay better schools in the UK, in the language I know the best! I also believe that I want to start a new life in the UK as a doctor :smile: Moving out and experiencing new places can only be a pro in my self-development! xD

Sorry about the ranting. xD
Reply 823
Original post by filea
Ahh interesting! :biggrin:

Well about the Swedish education system, I must say it is nothing in comparison to the UK. It's complicated, debatably unfair and it has a lot of flaws in it. It has some things that I believe is better than the UK system of course, but the cons overweigh the pros big-time... That's one of the many reasons why I want to study in the UK! xD

An example of the Swedish system:
In my UCAS application, I have 32 subjects. Also, the Swedish system only has three grades which are equivalent to Pass, "Good" pass, "Excellent" pass. etc etc etc...

Otherwise, I've gone to English schools my whole life, so I pretty much will have a hard time relearning everything in Swedish and I think that's completely unnecessary when there are waaay better schools in the UK, in the language I know the best! I also believe that I want to start a new life in the UK as a doctor :smile: Moving out and experiencing new places can only be a pro in my self-development! xD

Sorry about the ranting. xD

Well they are some pretty good points then. Well looks like your going to be a doctor in england!!
when is your interview?
9th of March :biggrin: Already started preparing for it, so hopefully it'll go well!!
Do you have an interview?
Reply 825
Well they are some pretty good points then. Well looks like your going to be a doctor in england!!

Haha, it's either England or Scotland for me! If I come in to St. Andrews or Aberdeen, at least I escape the tuition fees :O

Is St. Andrews your first choice?
Original post by lola1993
9th of March :biggrin: Already started preparing for it, so hopefully it'll go well!!
Do you have an interview?

9th March too ! I didn't start preparing yet though. hopefully this weeked.
Reply 827
Original post by filea
Haha, it's either England or Scotland for me! If I come in to St. Andrews or Aberdeen, at least I escape the tuition fees :O

Is St. Andrews your first choice?

Lucky you!!!!!
Yea it is, so i hope i get in there!!
Reply 828
Lucky you!!!!!
Yea it is, so i hope i get in there!!

I think it is mine too so I wish us both the best of luck, and if we both get offers, then I guess I'll be seeing you in September xD
Reply 829
Original post by filea
I think it is mine too so I wish us both the best of luck, and if we both get offers, then I guess I'll be seeing you in September xD

Wooo, we both have good taste!

Thanks, I really do hope both of us get in!

I will look out for your accent then in september :tongue:
Reply 830
Wooo, we both have good taste!

Thanks, I really do hope both of us get in!

I will look out for your accent then in september :tongue:

Haha I agree I agree, and as much as a I tried to conceal my accent here in TSR I guess everyone will find out sooner or later. xD It's so funny how people in the UK react to it hahahaha... As much as I want a British accent, I sadly have a very noticable American accent. xD

Yes good luck once again! :smile:
Reply 831
Original post by filea
Haha I agree I agree, and as much as a I tried to conceal my accent here in TSR I guess everyone will find out sooner or later. xD It's so funny how people in the UK react to it hahahaha... As much as I want a British accent, I sadly have a very noticable American accent. xD

Haha, i know a couple of people who went to international schools in geneva and have really american accents! I always found it bizzare.
Well maybe you can work on it, though our accents are usually no where near as posh as what british films seem to make out haha
Reply 832
Haha, i know a couple of people who went to international schools in geneva and have really american accents! I always found it bizzare.
Well maybe you can work on it, though our accents are usually no where near as posh as what british films seem to make out haha

Haha, we'll see what I can do until September! xD
Reply 833
Wait people are already preparing now, I have Aberdeen on 22nd, so 2 weeks toward that and then 2 weeks towards S.Andrews...
Reply 834
Original post by baztech
Wait people are already preparing now, I have Aberdeen on 22nd, so 2 weeks toward that and then 2 weeks towards S.Andrews...

In general for my interviews I prepared for about a month and then on top of that I've been preparing for about 3 weeks for St Andrews.
I think it will always be different for everyone, I'm a huge over preparer ... always HHS been :/
I prepared 2 weeks. Though I'm not much of a 'preparer' person. Anything more seems a bit excessive, in my opinion.

EDIT: Some American accents can be sexy. :perv:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by filea

Me too! I learned English in Spain and I don't have a Spanish accent, more like an American one (probably thanks to House and Friends) and I really want a British one.
Reply 837
Original post by areyousure?
Me too! I learned English in Spain and I don't have a Spanish accent, more like an American one (probably thanks to House and Friends) and I really want a British one.

Hahahah exactly!!! I learnt English from the tv (excessive amount of Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon as a child...) and even though I have a load of British teachers, I guess I listened more to the tv English than theirs xD too bad for me :/ When I was in Sheffield for my first interview, my interviewer even asked me where I'm from since he said he was intrigued with my accent xD He said that he thought I was from West America hahahaha xD

but are you applying with Spanish grades or British grades?
Reply 838
Original post by baztech

Tbh, I'm not much of a preparer either, since well I believe that the interviewer will see right through you whether you fit as a doctor and a student at their school. I believe that you can't do anything to alter that. Sure you could find the best answers to the most usual questions, but those answers would be no good if you can't communicate them properly... They assess how you are as a person and whether you know why you're choosing this path. Something you should be and know ages ago...

This is just my opinion though! O.O Some things one can prepare for though is course structure etc., that I prepared for myself!

EDIT: Also, one could read up on recent medical news, but I haven't been asked that on my past interviews... :/
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by filea
Hahahah exactly!!! I learnt English from the tv (excessive amount of Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon as a child...) and even though I have a load of British teachers, I guess I listened more to the tv English than theirs xD too bad for me :/ When I was in Sheffield for my first interview, my interviewer even asked me where I'm from since he said he was intrigued with my accent xD He said that he thought I was from West America hahahaha xD

but are you applying with Spanish grades or British grades?

Well, hopefully we will get British accents once we study there :P
I am applying with British grades, I go to a British School in Spain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending