The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wangers
What was it, did all the freshers dress up and have a fun day out? :biggrin:

Essentially, yeah. :tongue:

We just had a jolly around the clinical skills centre, 'learning' to do chest examinations and suchlike. It was amazingly pointless, and they dragged it out from 9 'til 5. :frown:
Reply 961
I think prisoners should be given the vote - just putting it out there...
Original post by Wangers
I think prisoners should be given the vote - just putting it out there...

With rights come responsibilities - break the law, lose your right to chose who makes those laws.
Original post by Onychophagia
Essentially, yeah. :tongue:

We just had a jolly around the clinical skills centre, 'learning' to do chest examinations and suchlike. It was amazingly pointless, and they dragged it out from 9 'til 5. :frown:

9-5? :shock: They taught us to do a basic respiratory exam in about an hour.
Reply 964
doing MILE atm. Where you get assignment 9am thursday, hand it in 9am friday. its hellish. It wouldn't be so bad but the word limit is 500 so you have to ****ing condense, I have about three tables which I'll probably get marked down for, and critique all references, and then IF THIS WASNT ENOUGH you can't print it and hand it in, oh no! you have to write it out in a booklet! WHY is anyones guess! And yes that means all diagrams hand drawn! literally been working since 9:30ish with 1 hr for lunch, just got home, still got loads to do, probably at least 3-4 hours worth (in writing it out, daigrams etc) but having a break now!

though it's about the ear, I have an ENT appt next week about my hearing so it's quite useful, on balance not hearing but yeah still. handy.

ps. 4 cans of coke so far today.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by lekky

Original post by lekky
doing MILE atm. Where you get assignment 9am thursday, hand it in 9am friday. its hellish. It wouldn't be so bad but the word limit is 500 so you have to ****ing condense, I have about three tables which I'll probably get marked down for, and critique all references, and then IF THIS WASNT ENOUGH you can't print it and hand it in, oh no! you have to write it out in a booklet! WHY is anyones guess! And yes that means all diagrams hand drawn! literally been working since 9:30ish with 1 hr for lunch, just got home, still got loads to do, probably at least 3-4 hours worth (in writing it out, daigrams etc) but having a break now!

though it's about the ear, I have an ENT appt next week about my hearing so it's quite useful, on balance not hearing but yeah still. handy.

:eek: That sounds horrible! And I don't quite see the point of it......
Reply 966
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx

I think it's making me a little bit insane.
Reply 967
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx

I have no idea what the point is either. So I just checked. Apparently MILE is designed to evaluate how well I can:

formulate relevant questions in relation to a particular problem
use avaliable resources in a systematic and sensible fashion under the given constraints
give an appraisal of these resources
interpret and synthesise the information gained in relation to the questions set
reflect on any unresolved issues

it's not supposed to take 24 hours you're given 24 hours so people who need to go home don't have to travel in twice as some people live a way out.
however I can't see how it can be done in less than around 10 hours and thats if you're seriously speedy, it's just not possible, especially if handwriting it. most people are working at the same pace as me.
Reply 968
Original post by lekky

Management Information for Libraries in Europe?? :tongue:
Can you not just cut and stick diagrams in?
If you're apparently so bad you are not safe to be present in society - what banana republic are we in if they can vote?

Well done to the MPs.

Wang - I swear you say all these things just to provoke a reaction :p:
Reply 970
Original post by Lantana
Management Information for Libraries in Europe?? :tongue:
Can you not just cut and stick diagrams in?

Medical Independent Learning Exercise :sigh:

And no :sigh:
Reply 971
Original post by Fission_Mailed
9-5? :shock: They taught us to do a basic respiratory exam in about an hour.

We did four stations (1.5 hours each), one of them was respiratory examinations.
Original post by Onychophagia
Cool! hope he's still doing it when I get there.

We had an 'integrated day' in PDS today - I can't believe I didn't go to sportnight for that pile of rubbish. :facepalm2:

Lesson learnt. Never miss sportsnight for anything PDS related :p:

I just get a nice lie-in on thursdays. It'd be rude NOT to go to sportsnight. It's quite bad that one of my biggest achievements of this year is my 100% sportsnight attendance record. Something to say when I run for captain at the AGM.
Reply 973
Original post by Jessaay!
Lesson learnt. Never miss sportsnight for anything PDS related :p:

I just get a nice lie-in on thursdays. It'd be rude NOT to go to sportsnight. It's quite bad that one of my biggest achievements of this year is my 100% sportsnight attendance record. Something to say when I run for captain at the AGM.

Don't you get followed up for constantly missing PDS?
Original post by Woody.
Don't you get followed up for constantly missing PDS?

I don't have PDS. I'm technically classed as a part-time student and in order to do that they had to cut down my hours and they snipped out SSCs and PDS to do so.
Reply 975
Original post by Philosoraptor

Well done to the MPs.

I read that as MP3's :getmecoat:
Original post by Becca-Sarah
With rights come responsibilities - break the law, lose your right to chose who makes those laws.

Unless you are a lord, in which case break the law and you can go back to writing laws without any problems.
Original post by lekky

24hrs for 500 words doesnt sound too bad? what detail level are we talking?
Reply 978
Original post by John Locke
24hrs for 500 words doesnt sound too bad? what detail level are we talking?

As much as you can for 500 which isn't much. It's not the doing writing it thats the hard part its the getting the information in the word count, figuring out what to include for the start, figuring out what questions, finding enough resources, analysing the resources (resources etc not included in word count) and then ****ing handwriting it all out and handdrawing diagrams. The first part took me probably 7ish hours. Handwriting it all out is taking for-****ing-ever.

This is what we were given:

Twenty two year old John woke up feeling dizzy and nauseus. he could not get up as 'the walls seemed to be moving around'. The GP came on a house call and checked John's ears and asked if he had had a recent cold or flu-type illness.

Yeah.

Bare in mind we have 0 knowledge on this.

Maybe it doesn't sound as hard or as time consuming as it is, but honestly, F-M-L.
I guess it's not hard apart from being time consuming once you've worked out what to do. I'm just tired and fed up and want to go to bed!

Edit: my whole report is 2,300 words.
(edited 13 years ago)
Is there a way I can work out how much grant/loan I'll be entitled to in my final two years?

I'm trying to work out whether I should take out the student loan I'm entitled to this year if I'm going to get nothing in the last two years.

The only problem being the more money in my account the less bursary I'll get - so there'll be a trade off somewhere...

Latest

Trending

Trending