The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

hey guys,
I've just applied for a Customer Restaurant Assistant position at Sainsbury and on the job details it indicated the salary as such:

Recruitment junior £4.76 Competent £5.08,Adult Recruitment £6.21 Competent £6.37.This rate would apply for over 18's only. If you are under 18 the appropriate rate would be confirmed during the selection process.

What does this mean? I'm 19 at the moment so which rate will I get?

Another thing is, on the work schedule it indicated there would be a 7am-2pm for Tuesdays and Fridays. Now I don't mind the early start, however, I would be taking the earliest bus from my area to work and the bus only gets to the station at 7.05am and the station is about a 3-5 min walk from the store. Do you think they would mind if i came to work at roughly 7.10am-7.15 am instead of 7am on the dot? The store isn't even open to customer until 8.00am...
And i would ofc make up the time by working till 2.10-2.15pm. Is this a big deal? Should I mention this if I get an interview or is it likely to effect my chances at getting the job?

Thanks guys!:smile:
Reply 7641
Original post by CandyCorpse
hey guys,
I've just applied for a Customer Restaurant Assistant position at Sainsbury and on the job details it indicated the salary as such:

Recruitment junior £4.76 Competent £5.08,Adult Recruitment £6.21 Competent £6.37.This rate would apply for over 18's only. If you are under 18 the appropriate rate would be confirmed during the selection process.

Another thing is, on the work schedule it indicated there would be a 7am-2pm for Tuesdays and Fridays. Now I don't mind the early start, however, I would be taking the earliest bus from my area to work and the bus only gets to the station at 7.05am and the station is about a 3-5 min walk from the store. Do you think they would mind if i came to work at roughly 7.10am-7.15 am instead of 7am on the dot? The store isn't even open to customer until 8.00am...
And i would ofc make up the time by working till 2.10-2.15pm. Is this a big deal? Should I mention this if I get an interview or is it likely to effect my chances at getting the job?

You'll be on £6.27 for the first 6 months, and then it will go up to £6.37.

You should tell them at interview.
Thanks!

But will telling them that at the interview effect my chances at getting the job though? >.>

I mean moving the shift by 10 mins later isn't such a big deal right? :tongue:
hey guys,

I have the same job role as you and am also 19 and I get £6.37h, I have been there for nearly a year now but can't remember what the rate was when I started.
I don't know what the circumstances are at your store but at mine there is alot of work that needs to be done in the morning before the cafe opens, so they would proberly not allow anyone to start later.
Original post by AgentSushi
I have the same job role as you and am also 19 and I get £6.37h, I have been there for nearly a year now but can't remember what the rate was when I started.
I don't know what the circumstances are at your store but at mine there is alot of work that needs to be done in the morning before the cafe opens, so they would proberly not allow anyone to start later.

Oh no! Imma cry! I soooo need this job! :cry:
I work fast though >.<!
(edited 13 years ago)
Oh no! Imma cry! I soooo need this job! :cry:
I work fast though >.<!

Best thing to do is just ask at the interview. You never know they might be able to be flexable with your hours.
Original post by AgentSushi
Best thing to do is just ask at the interview. You never know they might be able to be flexable with your hours.

Hehe hope so :tongue:

What kind of questions do you get asked at the interview when applying for this position? Any tips?:rolleyes:
How long do sainsburys take to get back to you after the first stage interview?
Do they call you if you are successful or do they just e-mail you ?
or if you are unsuccessful do they even get back to you atall ?
(edited 13 years ago)
Thanks!

But will telling them that at the interview effect my chances at getting the job though? >.>

I mean moving the shift by 10 mins later isn't such a big deal right? :tongue:

I moved my shift by a whole hour when I got the job. Definitely tell them at the interview though. I told them at the interview and she said it should be fine but i'd need to ask my manager then when I got there she wasn't over the moon about it and asked if they were the hours I applied for and I said yes but I did say at the interview and that was it, she just changed my hours.
Reply 7649
Original post by queenbeekirsty
How long do sainsburys take to get back to you after the first stage interview?
Do they call you if you are successful or do they just e-mail you ?
or if you are unsuccessful do they even get back to you atall ?

When I applied, I heard back from them in 2 days, but people who where on my induction (Two whole years ago :frown:) waited for 3/4 weeks before Sainsbury'sd got back to them,.
Does anyone knows what questions they usually ask during the one on one interview?
I don't wanna screw this up :P
Plus what should i wear to the interview? Any advice?
Does anyone knows what questions they usually ask during the one on one interview?
I don't wanna screw this up :P
Plus what should i wear to the interview? Any advice?

mine was really straight forward...
basically just got asked
-tell me about yourself
-why did you apply for the job( i think..it was something along those lines)
-what do you think the job will involve
-what do you hope to get out of it....

you should probably wear something formal(ish)... i wore black trousers, a blouse and cardigan.

good luck :smile:
it's so annoying waiting for a response after an interview.

I got a call from HR asking me if the store has gotten in touch with me... does this mean HR accepted my application :confused:
Original post by number-11
it's so annoying waiting for a response after an interview.

I got a call from HR asking me if the store has gotten in touch with me... does this mean HR accepted my application :confused:

I don't know.

I waited over two weeks and then called up the central HR number. They didn't know what had happened with my application. I waited a further week before hearing anything back - which turned out to be a rejection. Only a week or so later for them to call me again with a job offer. It was definitely the strangest interview to job offer process I've experienced lol! It was so much simpler the last time, with another company [interviewed by the store manager, he called me the next day to offer me the job - simples]. :smile:
Can anyone who works at Sainsbury's tell me what time they start selling alcohol at? Cheers. :ninja:
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
Can anyone who works at Sainsbury's tell me what time they start selling alcohol at? Cheers. :ninja:

Every store is likely to be different as Alcohol licenses are handed out on a store to store basis by the local council.

The store I worked in was allowed to sell it all the hours we were open.
Original post by flipshot
Every store is likely to be different as Alcohol licenses are handed out on a store to store basis by the local council.

The store I worked in was allowed to sell it all the hours we were open.

OK. I'm just about to head there now, my brother is working there so hopefully he'll keep me right, and not have to ID me. :colone:
Reply 7657
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
OK. I'm just about to head there now, my brother is working there so hopefully he'll keep me right, and not have to ID me. :colone:

he won't be able to serve you :frown:
Original post by DDS
he won't be able to serve you :frown:

He just did. Let the party commence :cool:
Are you underage? Cos if they found out your brother would get into a LOT of trouble.

Latest

Trending

Trending