The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Poll

Are you resitting this unit?

I thought I'd create a thread early so we can start as early as possible and if anyone is stuck we can post here and help each other out :grin:. Also there will be a 25 mark synoptic essay so this might be a good place to post our essays and mark them for each other. :yep:

Edit:

I think that if people could type out whole essays it would be great, but to save time it may be wiser to simply type up our essay plans because if we know what to write then it is simply a case of writing it all out! :grin:

Anyway the way I am going to tackle essays is as follows:

*Make a spider diagram with 4 arrows (or something with 4 sections), one for each unit
*Try to include something for each unit for animals, plants and other microorganisms
*Try to include something relevant outside the spec. I heard this is the way to get that extra edge
*Try to write at least two sides
*Aim to finish the essay in 30 minutes

I would put a list of essay questions on here but a quick search will give you many threads with lists of essay questions, otherwise I will have to go through the papers to select loads of essay questions (which I might do). :p:

Edit:

I'm still getting negged for this?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sounds gud to me..COuld u possibly put some Q on !??
Preferably past papers
always good to start earlier as possible! :biggrin:
to arvin_infinity that's for now thw old specification quetsions to start to practice ^^:
http://www.freeexampapers.com/past_papers.php?l=Past_Papers%2FA+Level%2FBiology%2FAQA%2FSpecification+A/
Original post by moniquesungirl
always good to start earlier as possible! :biggrin:
to arvin_infinity that's for now thw old specification quetsions to start to practice ^^:
http://www.freeexampapers.com/past_papers.php?l=Past_Papers%2FA+Level%2FBiology%2FAQA%2FSpecification+A/

Its so much fun doing past papers(with MS):rolleyes:

Im stuck in Q7b BYA7 Jun08
Help me out :cool:
Oh, I'm getting in there early. :P

But yeah. I thought I'd make a thread to post any resources people have, maybe that specific colleges have made.

I'm posting all of my notes on here: http://as-bio-and-chem.blogspot.com

Any notes/question banks etc.

I wanted to make a thread early, so everyone's uber-prepared. x)

Also - does anyone have any tips on the stats stuff? I'm screwed for the empa. If anyone has any info on the EMPA that would be amazing! ;D
Reply 5
It would be less painful to just form a suicide pact tbh. :colonhash:
Reply 6
Thank you for this :biggrin: I'm absolutely nervous about this exam...done nearly all of bio 5, DNA technology is really hard...just really gotta do all that synoptic revision and that dreaded essay! btw did you do the chem 4 exam? how did you find it?
Reply 7
This exam is an absolute nightmare! :eek: is it 2hrs and a half? I'm just properly learning all the material for bio 5 first...I think this website is amazing :grin:http://www.biologymad.com/
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by somaliya
This exam is an absolute nightmare! :eek: is it 2hrs and a half? I'm just properly learning all the material for bio 5 first...I think this website is amazing :grin:http://www.biologymad.com/

I agree, so many thing s to learn :s-smilie: I was scanning the book and doing a check list to start my revision and at the end of it I was panicing! Also because I'll probably be on that paper for about 3 hrs because I normally need extra time due to the dictonary given that i'm italian.. Thank you very much for your link! hope will be helpfull :smile:
Reply 9
I agree, so many thing s to learn :s-smilie: I was scanning the book and doing a check list to start my revision and at the end of it I was panicing! Also because I'll probably be on that paper for about 3 hrs because I normally need extra time due to the dictonary given that i'm italian.. Thank you very much for your link! hope will be helpfull :smile:

I've started doing little bio cards on all the major topics, just getting the key points down, which I find useful..when I'm reading long paragraphs of text I just get completely lost :s-smilie: so I find the cue cards good revision :smile: I found the website useful, hope it does justice for you too :^_^: how's revision going? have you started the synoptic stuff?
Reply 10
Original post by tehsponge

I'd actually agree with you lol :tongue:
I've started doing little bio cards on all the major topics, just getting the key points down, which I find useful..when I'm reading long paragraphs of text I just get completely lost :s-smilie: so I find the cue cards good revision :smile: I found the website useful, hope it does justice for you too :^_^: how's revision going? have you started the synoptic stuff?

I'm diong summaries every paragraph and try to learn all the definitions, but I definitely think that I'm gonna revise and teach myself as much as I can because with my teachers we just started the nervous system, and they seem to think that this units is really easy -____- I normally revise with past paper questions as well, they help me to use the right language. What about you? Have you started the revision for the synopic essays? and are you doing chemistry as well? :smile:
Reply 12
Two and a half hours? I don't think I have ever done an exam that long.

For bio 4, I found taking notes straight from past paper markschemes worked very well. To use speciation as an example, instead of taking notes from the book, I found a question on a past paper asking for it to be explained. I simply copied down what gets the marks.
Thank you for this :biggrin: I'm absolutely nervous about this exam...done nearly all of bio 5, DNA technology is really hard...just really gotta do all that synoptic revision and that dreaded essay! btw did you do the chem 4 exam? how did you find it?

I knowwww. I'm just going over the Genetics stuff now. Really stuck! Any suggestions on how I can get the hang of it?

I thought CHEM4 went okay? Definite B, maybe A if I'm pushing it? You?
yes I found revising with the past paper question really useful, also for the definitions, get used with the language, and see how the question differs or have similarities :smile: and I relly enjoy to revise with post it, which I put everywhere in my room and text books
yes I found revising with the past paper question really useful, also for the definitions, get used with the language, and see how the question differs or have similarities :smile: and I relly enjoy to revise with post it, which I put everywhere in my room and text books

What papers did u use for this unit!?
Reply 16

Indeed!

Count me in on this thread, btw. Like OP, I'm stumped on statistical tests. They don't even seem to have been mentioned in class, and now my Bio teacher has been rushed to hospital one week ahead of practicals. (Nothing to do with my class' lack of promise in Biology, I'm sure:ninja: )
Original post by SammyJ
Indeed!

Count me in on this thread, btw. Like OP, I'm stumped on statistical tests. They don't even seem to have been mentioned in class, and now my Bio teacher has been rushed to hospital one week ahead of practicals. (Nothing to do with my class' lack of promise in Biology, I'm sure:ninja: )

I've already had mine. Have you received any info on it at all? My teachers gave me a booklet explaining each statistical test. Not sure how I could help with the actual tests, but if you need help with the null hypothesis and stuff like that, just ask.
Reply 18
I've already had mine. Have you received any info on it at all? My teachers gave me a booklet explaining each statistical test. Not sure how I could help with the actual tests, but if you need help with the null hypothesis and stuff like that, just ask.

Hey, thanks for the help! Actually I have my A2 ISA on Monday, all i've been told is that it's 'investigating the behaviour of animals'. We haven't been taught chi squared or spearmans rho, but i've done some research. Just a bit confused regarding chi squared, do we assume the degree of freedom is always one? Also, if the actual value is lower than the critical value does this disprove the Null?

Sorry for all the questions! :P
Original post by SammyJ
Hey, thanks for the help! Actually I have my A2 ISA on Monday, all i've been told is that it's 'investigating the behaviour of animals'. We haven't been taught chi squared or spearmans rho, but i've done some research. Just a bit confused regarding chi squared, do we assume the degree of freedom is always one? Also, if the actual value is lower than the critical value does this disprove the Null?

Sorry for all the questions! :P

Your degree of freedom is given by n-1, where n is the number of sets of results/categories (e.g female and male, then n=2).

In order to disprove your null hypothesis, your actual value has to be higher than the critical value. ( I think :s-smilie: )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending