The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1880
Hi!

I have got an e-mail from CASS admissions office saing that my PS was more related to economics/business management than to "Banking and International Finance" which I applied for. In the message they told, for considering my application, they needed me to write a new PS about banking and international finance.

Firstly is this a "good sign or a bad sign", and secondly could I still pick parts from my old PS(general parts) and just change a few things so that it applies more to banking?

Thanks!
Original post by eoeste1
Hi!

I have got an e-mail from CASS admissions office saing that my PS was more related to economics/business management than to "Banking and International Finance" which I applied for. In the message they told, for considering my application, they needed me to write a new PS about banking and international finance.

Firstly is this a "good sign or a bad sign", and secondly could I still pick parts from my old PS(general parts) and just change a few things so that it applies more to banking?

Thanks!

If its not a rejection, then its a good sign.

I am guessing you could take parts from your old PS but I would really tailor it to the course.
Reply 1882
I am predicted straight As in GCSE and I expect some A*s.

I am thinking of doing Biology, chemistry, maths and history at A level could this get me onto a good economics degree preferably with management at Oxford?

Original post by fletchdd02

I am thinking of doing Biology, chemistry, maths and history at A level could this get me onto a good economics degree preferably with management at Oxford?

Economics course is a highly competitive course. To maxmise your chances - get as many A* s as possible at GSCE.. ideally 9 plus. Regarding courses - take Further maths, Maths, Eco, History and maybe language upto As level. I think this will give you good uni choices. Good luck
Original post by fletchdd02

You need more than a few A*s at GCSE to get into Oxford for Economics. Also, it would be better to study Economics or Further Maths at A-Level (I regret having not taken Further Maths). I mean, it may change in the next few years, but I've applied for Economics this year and literally cannot believe how competitive it is to get into a good university for the subject.. Most people seem to have all A*s with only a few As dotted around if they're going for the top unis like Oxford/UCL/LSE/Warwick. However, I'm sure you'll definitely get into Investment Banking afterwards. :smile: It's mainly the 'getting into a good university' bit before..
Durham or Nottingham for economics. Which one for IB?
Reply 1886
Hi,

I was wondering if there is a significant difference between being an undergrad at City compared to being an undergrad at CASS? The reason is because while I'd prefer to be doing a CASS degree (as it has a better rep and just nicer facilities) and course at CASS is accounting and finance whereas at City the course is economics, which I think I would slightly prefer...

Any help/advice would be great!

(FYI: Bit of background: was at Birmingham doing economics in my first year but due to a family and personal issue, I've had to come back home to London and dropped out of Birmingham and will have to stay in London for uni. I'm applying as a late applicant as the Jan 15th UCAS deadline has passed and although I have good enough grades for LSE/UCL (heck I even applied there last year!) over the phone they've both said they're not considering late applicants. I'm also applying to Queen Mary).
Original post by Earsnot
Not sure about the applicants from Durham getting into IB so i cant comment, but here is a bit about Nottingham Economics.

I go to Nottingham; we are not so great at getting people in to FO roles from what I have seen so far. We have maybe 2 or 3 a year who make it into the BB.

Having said that, this is mostly down to the calibre of students and their aims; most are more concerned about partying, drinking and impressing others with their jack wills bull**** than getting into IB, you know, like those kids at high school who put popularity over getting good grades and now they are all working in Tesco lol not so cool anymore, its the same principle at Notts largely... Where the ones who want to be cool end up if they are good at E&Y in Audit and working in a crappy 9-5 if they continue on for 3 years, and the focused group will push for the best professional roles.

* It is the other way around at LSE for example where students are very focused from the outset; as such, a lot of the students here tend to be late starters in terms of market knowledge, IB knowledge and contact building and I think that is very deterimental to their applications.

It is true that a lot of our graduates and second years go into E & Y, Deloitte bla bla those less attractive careers/internships just because you can apply from Nottingham with a bit of knowledge and get a place. But its much harder to have this approach if you want to work in IB.

It is very possible to get interviews at BB's and after that point it really is up to the individual. You need to make sure you come here with focus, market knowledge greater than the competition at better Universities', and huge drive. You can succeed this way it is definately possible. Work experience will play a massive role in gaining interviews as well as a good CV and CL so make sure you brush up on these wherever possible.

Just my two cents from what i have seen so far at Nottingham. I think its a fair representation and gives a very honest description of why I believe people dont make it relatively too often from here.

If you want to trade, read bloomberg or wsj a few times a week to pick up the main themes; if you want to be in sales, get a job in sales at the weekend whilst at school. If you want to be in IBD get work experience somewhere corporate if possible (insurance companies for example) .. Do something creative and be a self starter.

Just make sure you know that it will be hard work from Nottingham, as usually, the other kids here will bring down the relative strength of your application, with their incredibly weak and last minute botch job applications. - Here I mean, Nottingham is seen as semi target for a reason, although you can shine through the relatively bad crowd if you put your mind to it.

Good luck!

(PS, I dont want to sound so negative but its just how I see it, I couldnt understand why we dont get many into IB comapred to other Top Universities' and the lazyness theme sort of explains everything - but come here for a great social life you will love it.....)

Mate, that's a bit of a generalisation. I know 4 people interning at BB's this summer from Nottingham. I am positive that there are more than 2/3 people who make it every year.

The explanation you gave was laziness as opposed to the university choice. The same thing can be applicable for Oxbridge/LSE/Warwick/Imperial/UCL/etc students. Being pro-active and seeking out opportunities is down to you.

It might be fair to say that Nottingham students are not as exposed to campus presentations as say Oxbridge/LSE are but even then, they do pretty well.
Original post by Earsnot
4 people? I dont know whether that is good or not mate. My guess is, at the target schools its more like 40 a summer even more perhaps.

The fact is, there is a stigma attached to students from Nottingham; ie that for some reason or not they are sub-par compared - I experienced it when interviewing at GS myself recently. Despite the fact I still knew what was happening on the CNBC channels around River Court and they didn't, as soon as they hear that I am fron Nottingham the conversation dies slowly. Really incredible experience.

There is a reason we are still only semi-target and its not fair but its life. I have thought long and hard about this situation believe me.

In a sense it should be the driving force behind any student and it is for me. I know that next summer i will have an excellent internship place and the majority of those on my course will be rushing late applications through at firms or expecting their parents to find them something good.

PS i didnt give the negative rep either.

At GS? Really?

But the same can be said for any university I guess. The number of people I know that applied late at Warwick is unbelievable and that's considering how banking immersed some people in the university are.

Neg rep? Oh, lol, dont worry dude, it means nothing. :smile:
"should" get a first in computer science from kent, with a year in industry at pfizers

do i have a chance for applying to any role? or just software based? My degree is considered a numerate subject
Reply 1890
Completely new in this area, saw an ad for Barclays Corporate programmes and got me interested. This is background research (so be gentle). Is it even a little bit worth me applying to Barclays Corp risk programme with

2:1 in Law from UoSouthampton
AABB at A level (B in Maths)
Plenty of extra currics and a year working in commercial law firm under my belt.

Just say no point if it would be a waste of my time...
Hi guys, your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Originally I wanted to become an actuary but after doing a brief stint in a pensions company I think this is a bit of a slow paced environment for me.

I'm now looking to move into trading or fund management as alternative careers. I usually get the ft a couple of times a week and have read quite a few books on trading, investing etc ( Recently read the Market Wizards books, When genius failed, practical speculation and Steve Nison's Candle Stick books ) and believe this will be a better match for my personality and skill sets.

Here's the problem........

I only applied to universities that had the full set of exemptions for my actuarial exams and so am studying Actuarial Science at Kent. Also my A Level equivalent would be ABB. I can transfer to economics next year if I want and am thinking of doing financial economics or econometrics, would this give me a better chance?

I have a few contacts involved in IB so this may get me some sort of experience to stick on my CV.

What sort of chance do I have? What can I do to improve my chances?

P.s I'm not obsessed with getting into a bulge bracket firm or looking for the biggest salary. Just how to get my foot in the door at a decent Fund manger or Trading desk.

Thanks for your time.
Can someone comment on Durham for ibanking? I know its not a target uni like Cambridge, LSE, etc. But would it be worth applying for any FO gigs at BBs? It seems like a lot of the recruitment at Durham is for MO/BO roles. What about FO roles at an MM?
Original post by adam0311
Can someone comment on Durham for ibanking? I know its not a target uni like Cambridge, LSE, etc. But would it be worth applying for any FO gigs at BBs? It seems like a lot of the recruitment at Durham is for MO/BO roles. What about FO roles at an MM?

The recruiting wasn't for mo/bo when I was there. Plenty of people from Durham still make it in. Not as many as others but it is still very possible.
Original post by Christo
The recruiting wasn't for mo/bo when I was there. Plenty of people from Durham still make it in. Not as many as others but it is still very possible.

Thanks for the response. Any Durham specific tips to break into IB?
360 UCAS points, DDD @ BTEC. computer science at either kcl, rhul, sussex, leicester, qmul. i know im not gonna stand out but would prepared to do other stuff.
Original post by diaby_legend
Hi all

I'm currently at the University of Surrey studying Business Management and really looking to get into IB once my degree finishes.

I have 3 A's, 5 B's and 3 C's at GCSE and 3 B's at A Level.

I've had commercial based internships before and also work experience working in customer services and telemarketing.

I've also just secured a one year industrial placement working within Risk for Lloyds Banking Group due to start in the summer.

Do I have a chance?

Firstly, well done for securing an internship at Lloyds, that will definitely help you when applying for IB. Obviously, your chances would increase if you go for a job in risk. If you did maths as one of your A-Levels, i would suggest re-sitting a couple of modules to get your grade up, i did it during my placement year, as you really could do with at least one A, given the extent of very good competion.

As for going to Surrey and getting an IB role, I am in my final year and this summer I will be joined by fellow Surrey students at State Street, GS, MS, UBS, BarCap and JPM, so it is by no means impossible, although, must say we are all economists.

Good Luck
Original post by iholdthem
360 UCAS points, DDD @ BTEC. computer science at either kcl, rhul, sussex, leicester, qmul. i know im not gonna stand out but would prepared to do other stuff.

For banking KCL > Leicester > QM & RH > Sussex. Oddly enough have seen a crazy amount of people from Leicester at events & ACs.
Reply 1898
How strong is the Economics and Econometrics degree from Nottingham, if one is looking to go into finance in the future (preferably investment banking). The Econometrics course is more mathematical than the Straight Economics course at Notts (which has a respected department).

Would there be a huge difference between the Econ and Econometrics at Notts, compared to striaght Economics @ Warwick?

Cheers
Original post by TheHoly1
How strong is the Economics and Econometrics degree from Nottingham, if one is looking to go into finance in the future (preferably investment banking). The Econometrics course is more mathematical than the Straight Economics course at Notts (which has a respected department).

Would there be a huge difference between the Econ and Econometrics at Notts, compared to striaght Economics @ Warwick?

Cheers

I'd say Economics at Warwick has the upper hand, mostly because its at Warwick and will be mathmatical anyway. Nottingham is good though and you'd have a chance, but I'd take Warwick anyday.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending