The Student Room Group

Analyst Wardrobe

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1100
This thread is too long to read through, so I'll ask instead: What do people recommend in terms of shirts? I'll need to buy around 10 shirts for the summer, and with my budget I'm looking at Charles Tyrwhitt/TM Lewin/Hawes & Curtis. I've heard TM Lewin is the worst of the three, what do people here think? Are any of these good, or should I make the jump up to Thomas Pink, etc?
Original post by chillern
This thread is too long to read through, so I'll ask instead: What do people recommend in terms of shirts? I'll need to buy around 10 shirts for the summer, and with my budget I'm looking at Charles Tyrwhitt/TM Lewin/Hawes & Curtis. I've heard TM Lewin is the worst of the three, what do people here think? Are any of these good, or should I make the jump up to Thomas Pink, etc?

I'm a big fan of Charles Tyrwhitt's tailored fit line though it has a limited range, and Hawes & Curtis has a good spread and some nice designs. TM Lewin tends to do wider spread collars which I'm not a big fan of, but I own shirts from all three anyways.

A shirt is a far less complex item to tailor than a suit and if you find a brand that fits you well and uses high quality cotton, buy it. Brand doesn't really matter - visit all three and try them for fit, they all use good material.
Reply 1102
does it all really matter as much as ye make it out to?

is this a guy thing or are girls equally expected to dress with designer labels? It is easier for girls to buy nicer cheaper clothes since there are a million more shops...just curious cause I don't fancy spending a fortune on shirts. i like my h&ms ones :biggrin:
Women end up impressing in... different ways.
Reply 1104
Original post by Lorchii
does it all really matter as much as ye make it out to?

is this a guy thing or are girls equally expected to dress with designer labels? It is easier for girls to buy nicer cheaper clothes since there are a million more shops...just curious cause I don't fancy spending a fortune on shirts. i like my h&ms ones :biggrin:

Nobody expects designer labels, just looking respectable, and for guys that means your suit fitting well. Most banker girls I know dress in designer labels because they have the money to and like clothes, but as long as you look good, I can't see anyone caring.

Incidentally, one of my female banker friends once commented that women in banking, especially senior ones, tend to dress (and to some extent act) in one of two ways: in a suit, in quite a formal, masculine way; and in designer dresses complete with an excess of accessories, in a very feminine way. Not that you have to, but I found it quite an interesting observation.
Reply 1105
Original post by Drogue
Nobody expects designer labels, just looking respectable, and for guys that means your suit fitting well. Most banker girls I know dress in designer labels because they have the money to and like clothes, but as long as you look good, I can't see anyone caring.

Incidentally, one of my female banker friends once commented that women in banking, especially senior ones, tend to dress (and to some extent act) in one of two ways: in a suit, in quite a formal, masculine way; and in designer dresses complete with an excess of accessories, in a very feminine way. Not that you have to, but I found it quite an interesting observation.

that is interesting..there is a lot of psychology around what type of clothes women wear..even for interviews it's seen as alot safer to just wear skirt suits as some interviewers dont like women wearing pants suits like men do! I think in between is good. Too feminine and you might not be taken as serious, and too maculine and well, your seen to be more of a bitch perhaps!
[QUOTE=Lorchii;29793107]does it all really matter as much as ye make it out to?

no
anywhere where i can get petite workwear clothes for women?
Original post by Drogue

Tail wag dog?
Reply 1109
Original post by TheSeriousOne
anywhere where i can get petite workwear clothes for women?

Try Reiss for suits/dresses, and then look around; Karen Millen sometimes has nice blouses, for shirts it's pretty much the same as for guys except it's more limited , I like Hawes & Curtis mostly because their fit is good on me. Don't like TM Lewin so much. Thomas Pink is more expensive and don't have that big a selection for women. A good tip is to go to some of the stores and try a few different models and then order online, because they always seem to be sold out in store (especially the plain blue, pink etc). Plus you often get some sort of 2 for 1 deal online.

Also get some comfortable shoes, like ballerinas or something similar. In my opinion you don't always need to wear heels, I certainly don't but then I'm quite tall.
Reply 1110
Original post by President_Ben
Women end up impressing in... different ways.

I usually like your posts, even when you are being mildly offensive; but that just came across as leching and pathetic!
Original post by staysha
I usually like your posts, even when you are being mildly offensive; but that just came across as leching and pathetic!

Welcome to the real world where impressing will mean appealing to the masses and it takes very little in the way of smarts to realise what that means.

Is it good? No.

Do I approve? No.

But good luck to anyone trying to change that nugget of the culture.
Reply 1112
Original post by President_Ben
Welcome to the real world where impressing will mean appealing to the masses and it takes very little in the way of smarts to realise what that means.

Is it good? No.

Do I approve? No.

But good luck to anyone trying to change that nugget of the culture.

Perhaps you are right and such things are part of the culture- I sincerely hope not, but you know more than me at this stage, so I'll grant you that. But you are definitely wrong to think they are unchangeable. If responsible people who are respected by their peers showed by their behavior that such attitudes would not be countenanced, then at the very least that would be an excellent start. Since you are very respected here (and in my limited experience rightfully so), its up to you to set the tone of what the next generation can expect, and to a certain extent how they should behave.....
Original post by staysha
Perhaps you are right and such things are part of the culture- I sincerely hope not, but you know more than me at this stage, so I'll grant you that. But you are definitely wrong to think they are unchangeable. If responsible people who are respected by their peers showed by their behavior that such attitudes would not be countenanced, then at the very least that would be an excellent start. Since you are very respected here (and in my limited experience rightfully so), its up to you to set the tone of what the next generation can expect, and to a certain extent how they should behave.....

I can barely think of anything in finance culture that would be harder to change. Apart from the profit motive... and... hm.
Reply 1114
ah good times
how many suits do i need for a trading internship?
got one beautiful hugo boss piece but dont really fancy shelling out for a second of similar quality. Can I get away with one cheap(£300) one too?
Reply 1116
Original post by Zürich
how many suits do i need for a trading internship?
got one beautiful hugo boss piece but dont really fancy shelling out for a second of similar quality. Can I get away with one cheap(£300) one too?

If you can get away with a Hugo Boss one you can get away with a <£300 one. The quality won't be any different, only the style and the name will be, and classic styles are if anything safer than a designer style.
Reply 1118
Original post by AJaded
Watch for an intern; thoughts?..

Nobody will care. Don't get anything too flashy, otherwise it doesn't matter at all. You're an intern.
Original post by Drogue
Nobody will care. Don't get anything too flashy, otherwise it doesn't matter at all. You're an intern.

Even beyond being an intern, many will be indifferent. Some desks have a watch culture, most don't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending