The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Woody.
Right, thanks for the clarification! So there are ionotropic receptors and metabotropic receptors (the main divisions?) )

dependents what you mean by main divisions, there are lots of receptors that aren't GPCRs/ionotropic (tyrosine kinases, guanylyl cyclase linked, serine-threonine kinases... etc etc)
Original post by John Locke
dependents what you mean by main divisions, there are lots of receptors that aren't GPCRs/ionotropic (tyrosine kinases, guanylyl cyclase linked, serine-threonine kinases... etc etc)

The two main divisions are metabotropic and ionotropic.

Tyrosine kinase would e.g. be under the metabotropic
Did any of y'all meet Dr Pemberton on Thursday?
Original post by Philosoraptor
This is obviously an issue without a "right" or "wrong" answer.

It's going to be down to opinion.

But mine would be is, whilst your considered such that you shouldn't partake in normal society, nor should you have any bearing on the daily running of the country.

Again it's subjective and there are arguments on both sides.

Maybe you're just ahead of your time

Legal human rights aren't a matter of opinion - there are definate rights and wrongs.

For instance, we don't ritually beat prisoners, no matter how many people have the opinion that such a thing is a good idea for those who break the law.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1004
Original post by Captain Crash
Legal human rights aren't a matter of opinion - there are definate rights and wrongs.

For instance, we don't ritually beat prisoners, no matter how many people have the opinion that such a thing is a good idea for those who break the law.
Legal human rights or legal British rights?
Original post by Jessaay!
Lesson learnt. Never miss sportsnight for anything PDS related :p:

I just get a nice lie-in on thursdays. It'd be rude NOT to go to sportsnight. It's quite bad that one of my biggest achievements of this year is my 100% sportsnight attendance record. Something to say when I run for captain at the AGM.

A 100% record is definitely something to be proud of. I was part of that elite group up until Wednesday; I can't believe I gave it up. :cry:

Original post by Fission_Mailed
Is it bad that I always thought Onychophagia was a girl? :ahee:

Yes. :sadnod:

Being mistaken for a girl on an online forum = -1000 lad points
Original post by Onychophagia
A 100% record is definitely something to be proud of. I was part of that elite group up until Wednesday; I can't believe I gave it up. :cry:

Terribly sorry old boy. :console:
Original post by Renal
Legal human rights or legal British rights?

Legal Human Rights, as per the ECHR we signed up to, put into our own legislation in 1998 and clarified in subsequent law cases.
Hey guys :h:
Original post by digitalis

Word up. Long time no see.

Word up. Long time no see.

Long time never seen :p:
Original post by digitalis

Hey how's it going dude!
Where've you been - is it because you've been busy being a gunner? :p:
Original post by Onychophagia

You're not a girl? :eek:
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Long time never seen :p:

Pedant.

:awesome:
Original post by Renal
Just you wait.
Oh, I know lol. It's only going to get worse! But at least I'll be a doctor and get paid for that **** :p:.

It's small consolation, I know... but better than no consolation.

I know, I know, you're going to argue about accountability.

Bah, leave me alone and let me sulk :p:.
Reply 1015
Sorry to ask yet more science-y questions but I've yet again managed to confuse myself. Acetylcholine is released by the parasympathetic NS to slow heart rate, right? By increasing permeability of the nodal cells to potassium. I've just been reading that drugs that cause a positive inotropic effect on the heart must increase intracellular stores of calcium in the muscle cells to achieve this increased contraction. I wondered why increasing calcium increased contractility and came upon this in Wikipedia:

'The Ca2+ influx causes vesicles containing the neurotransmitter acetylcholine to fuse with the plasma membrane, releasing acetylcholine out into the extracellular space between the motor neuron terminal and the motor end plate of the skeletal muscle fiber.

The acetylcholine diffuses across the synapse and binds to and activates nicotinic acetylcholine receptors on the motor end plate of the muscle cell. Activation of the nicotinic receptor opens its intrinsic sodium/potassium channel, causing sodium to rush in and potassium to trickle out. Because the channel is more permeable to sodium, the muscle fiber membrane becomes more positively charged, triggering an action potential.'

As you can see, this is almost the opposite of what it's saying in my book, could anyone offer any explanation?
Original post by Woody.
Sorry to ask yet more science-y questions but I've yet again managed to confuse myself. Acetylcholine is released by the parasympathetic NS to slow heart rate, right? By increasing permeability of the nodal cells to potassium. I've just been reading that drugs that cause a positive inotropic effect on the heart must increase intracellular stores of calcium in the muscle cells to achieve this increased contraction. I wondered why increasing calcium increased contractility and came upon this in Wikipedia:

'The Ca2+ influx causes vesicles containing the neurotransmitter acetylcholine to fuse with the plasma membrane, releasing acetylcholine out into the extracellular space between the motor neuron terminal and the motor end plate of the skeletal muscle fiber.

The acetylcholine diffuses across the synapse and binds to and activates nicotinic acetylcholine receptors on the motor end plate of the muscle cell. Activation of the nicotinic receptor opens its intrinsic sodium/potassium channel, causing sodium to rush in and potassium to trickle out. Because the channel is more permeable to sodium, the muscle fiber membrane becomes more positively charged, triggering an action potential.'

As you can see, this is almost the opposite of what it's saying in my book, could anyone offer any explanation?

You are confusingtransmission at the neuromuscular junction with parasympathetic function generally. I could be wrong, but I'm not convinced that there is significant vagal innervation of the heart - particularly not the SA node, this is part of the reason the Resus Council in 2010 changed some of the guidelines for PEA/Asystole so that Atropine is no longer given - because vagal tone is not considered a major factor in cardiac function.
Reply 1017
Original post by Wangers

Original post by Wangers
You are confusingtransmission at the neuromuscular junction with parasympathetic function generally. I could be wrong, but I'm not convinced that there is significant vagal innervation of the heart - particularly not the SA node, this is part of the reason the Resus Council in 2010 changed some of the guidelines for PEA/Asystole so that Atropine is no longer given - because vagal tone is not considered a major factor in cardiac function.

Hmm, I'm sure you could be right but Pocock is telling me that there is parasympathetic innervation to the SAN (as that's what tonically affects our heart rate) but not in the ventricles (where there is only sympathetic innervation). As for atropine, I've only read that it's an inhibitor of the muscarining ACh receptors, and can be used to show that the heart is under vagal tone (as inhibition raises heart rate)
Original post by Woody.
Hmm, I'm sure you could be right but Pocock is telling me that there is parasympathetic innervation to the SAN (as that's what tonically affects our heart rate) but not in the ventricles (where there is only sympathetic innervation). As for atropine, I've only read that it's an inhibitor of the muscarining ACh receptors, and can be used to show that the heart is under vagal tone (as inhibition raises heart rate)

If pocock says it it must be right :smile:

Genuinely, I'm not sure, there is tonic vagal influence - otherwise the HR would be around 100, is it direct innervation to the SAN? I know that carotid sinus massage works, so thats probably right. Sorry, I'm very rusty...As for Atropine in resus - sorry, wasn't clear enough - you can raise HR with it, what they're saying is that the proportion of cardiac events due to raised vagal tone is probably not enough justify treatment with it.
I would go and look this up, but alss, am swamped with own work - gen med and surgery feb mocks await...Also more importantly, I have owed the library enough money over a certain period of time that they won't let me take iout books :frown:...

Latest

Trending

Trending