The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eve_m
Hi, I'm Grey too (for history) :smile: I don't see many other Grey people on here so I thought I'd say hi :redface: Open days are 22nd/23rd March and you can stay in the college the night before if you want. Do you think you'll go?

Hi :smile: No, me neither. I got the letter today, I'm going for the 22nd :biggrin:, hopefully staying over the night before.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 3841
I've been allocated from University to St Hild and St Bede
Reply 3842
Original post by Schnecke
Hi :smile: No, me neither. I got the letter today, I'm going for the 22nd :biggrin:, hopefully staying over the night before.

Snap, provided they have space :smile: Might see you there then... Seeing as you've got an offer from Cambridge (I remmber you from the Cambridge threat :redface:) will you have Durham as your insurance or somewhere else?
Original post by Wailinza
Update on Biomed Offers:

From what I can tell the following have had offers and colleges allocated:

Stevo:
Wailinza (yes)
MessyRoom
RadioHawk
Mooniibuggy (no) - insurance

John Snow:
GreyFox
Kristinalovesu
SeasickSteve

Be great to see how many others there are that have had offers and colleges allocated??

I've also just booked to go to the open day on the 16th March. Who else is going - stick a yes next to your name?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1479333

It's a little empty in this thread! :biggrin:
Reply 3844
I applied back in October and I haven't heard anything yet :frown:

For all those who have received offers, when your AES updated, were you sent an email or did you find out by constantly checking your AES?

I'm driving myself crazy checking my AES all the time!
Reply 3845
Original post by Ned93

For all those who have received offers, when your AES updated, were you sent an email or did you find out by constantly checking your AES?

Checking unfortunately!
Original post by Ned93

Don't drive yourself crazy! According to noodlzz AES updates around midnight everyday so just check around then or in the morning.
Reply 3847
Original post by phoeberg
Checking unfortunately!

Original post by Ultimate1
Don't drive yourself crazy! According to noodlzz AES updates around midnight everyday so just check around then or in the morning.

Haha, thanks for the help guys, hopefully those of us who haven't heard anything will hear something (hopefully good news) soon :smile:
Reply 3848
Original post by eve_m
I've got an offer for History at Grey :smile: And I'm going on the 21st/22nd, how about you?

Hey! I'm going on the 22nd... I'd have liked to stay over on the 21st but I'm at work unfortunately. One thing I'm confused about... it says that tours start from 2pm for people who haven't stayed over the night before, but my Law open day finishes at 4pm?! No idea if I just turn up at like 4pm... :/

And does anyone know if we're allowed to bring guests to the departmental open days?

Original post by Ned93

Well my AES told me that a college had been passed my application, (after frantic checking) but it was actually UCAS who got to me first. I got my email from UCAS telling me an offer had been made for me about five days before AES actually told me that the college had made a decision so I think it just differs?!

But yes, AES isn't updated in real time. It's updated on a daily basis so I wouldn't drive yourself crazy checking... (although that IS slightly hypocritcal of me as I still did that, whislt knowing it updated daily. hahaha :smile:
Reply 3849
Original post by Rachetto
Hey! I'm going on the 22nd... I'd have liked to stay over on the 21st but I'm at work unfortunately. One thing I'm confused about... it says that tours start from 2pm for people who haven't stayed over the night before, but my Law open day finishes at 4pm?! No idea if I just turn up at like 4pm... :/

And does anyone know if we're allowed to bring guests to the departmental open days?

Not sure what you'd do then, maybe email the college and ask if you can have a tour after the open day.. I'm sure they'd give you one :smile: And I don't think guests can come to the actual department stuff but I think there's a talk for parents if that helps?
Reply 3850
Original post by eve_m
Not sure what you'd do then, maybe email the college and ask if you can have a tour after the open day.. I'm sure they'd give you one :smile: And I don't think guests can come to the actual department stuff but I think there's a talk for parents if that helps?

I might email them after they've replied me with their confirmation email :smile: Ah, I'm dead nervous about going by myself! All my other open day offers have asked me to bring guests! :/
Reply 3851
I might email them after they've replied me with their confirmation email :smile: Ah, I'm dead nervous about going by myself! All my other open day offers have asked me to bring guests! :/

To be honest so am I... I might be going up from London (where I live) with a friend but she's a different college and department.. I know it'll be really good, I just hope everyone's nice and I'm not rubbish at meeting people :smile:
Reply 3852
Original post by eve_m
I've got an offer for History at Grey :smile: And I'm going on the 21st/22nd, how about you?

Hi, I'm Grey too (for history) :smile: I don't see many other Grey people on here so I thought I'd say hi :redface: Open days are 22nd/23rd March and you can stay in the college the night before if you want. Do you think you'll go?

Im grey too, feeling slightly nervous about the open day/ night haha :s
Reply 3853
Original post by eve_m
To be honest so am I... I might be going up from London (where I live) with a friend but she's a different college and department.. I know it'll be really good, I just hope everyone's nice and I'm not rubbish at meeting people :smile:

Aw... at least I'm local I suppose, I'm from Newcastle so it's not that far for me :smile: People will be nice I suppose, everyone's in the same boat after all!
I'm just dead nervous in case everyone knows each other and I'm gonna like AHHHHH!
Reply 3854
Aw... at least I'm local I suppose, I'm from Newcastle so it's not that far for me :smile: People will be nice I suppose, everyone's in the same boat after all!
I'm just dead nervous in case everyone knows each other and I'm gonna like AHHHHH!

Aw I'm so jealous you're so near, it's gonna take me 3 hours on the train/6 hours driving if I ever attempt it to get there.. I don't think anyone will really know eachother, hope not anyway :smile: Just gotta be brave and introduce yourself, even if it is awkward at first!

Original post by bubbaa
Im grey too, feeling slightly nervous about the open day/ night haha :s

Hi, what's your subject? I'm nervous too, but exicted :smile: Not sure what I'll do for the night bit, apparently you can choose whether to stay in college or go out (clubbing I think)... I'll be 18 but not sure I want to go out (and possibly be hungover for the open day the next day). Plus clubbing's not exactly my thing... :redface: Just nervous about meeting people and stuff?
Original post by eve_m
Snap, provided they have space :smile: Might see you there then... Seeing as you've got an offer from Cambridge (I remmber you from the Cambridge threat :redface:) will you have Durham as your insurance or somewhere else?

I'm 90% Durham for my insurance. Yep may well do.. any idea what we do on this open day?

Ah.. just seen your posts about this to other people. I'm gonna be 18 as well, but not sure on the clubbing front. Exciting though :biggrin:
Original post by Schnecke
I'm 90% Durham for my insurance. Yep may well do.. any idea what we do on this open day?

Ah.. just seen your posts about this to other people. I'm gonna be 18 as well, but not sure on the clubbing front. Exciting though :biggrin:

Apparently there is hardly a clubbing scene in Durham anyway? I suspect everyone will just go to pubs instead.
Original post by Freerider101
Apparently there is hardly a clubbing scene in Durham anyway? I suspect everyone will just go to pubs instead.

Excellent, much more enjoyable :tongue:
Reply 3858
Original post by Sappho
No, I haven't. The offer came through just last night. Today they sent me an e-mail saying it'd take about three weeks until I hear from my college. I don't know whether it'll be via e-mail, otherwise it might even take a little longer as letters from the UK usually take about a week to reach me.
I know my memory is awful, what was your college again? And what's your first choice at the moment?

St. Chad's and Durham is in front. Getting excited about March open day.
Reply 3859
Original post by Vekeh
You can be rejected after your app gets to a college, but it doesn't seem to happen too frequently.

AES says this about it: 'Please note that occasionally some applications are unsuccessful despite being sent to a college as the University is restricted in the number of home offers it can make and is committed to ensuring that departments and colleges do not make too many offers. Occasionally, a department may inadvertently make a few too many offers, as our monitoring systems are updated on a daily basis rather than in real-time. These applications are recalled within the University and, even though the AES may have shown that an application has been passed to a college for consideration, the University will not be in a position to make an offer and an unsuccessful decision will be recorded at UCAS.'

Haha I'll rather go with what the site says. makes me feel safe
Since you're trying so hard with your pessimistic views to get me off the course. :tongue: :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending