The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5780
I did optimisation, Markov Chains and Statistics. Total marks: 0.
Original post by Piecewise
*Subscribes to the thread...*

:ditto: :biggrin:
Oh dear, heavy one last night. It was a radio exec social, and the girls were telling guys various stories about getting hit on by drunken creepy men, all the guys were doubting this happened, and then... it happened. Three times in one night. And now I log into Facebook to see someone posted "Official cock magnet" on my wall. ARGH!? My sister can see that!
At one point, they were trying to get me to do the splits in the middle of Klute. No, just no.
Started new courses. Lagrangian and Hamiltonian dynamics is pretty sweet
Reply 5784
Original post by assmaster
Oh dear, heavy one last night. It was a radio exec social, and the girls were telling guys various stories about getting hit on by drunken creepy men, all the guys were doubting this happened, and then... it happened. Three times in one night. And now I log into Facebook to see someone posted "Official cock magnet" on my wall. ARGH!? My sister can see that!
At one point, they were trying to get me to do the splits in the middle of Klute. No, just no.

I still need to hit up klute before my friend graduates. Is it as bad as all that?
Today I had the last lecture in Linear Algebra this term from Peter Neumann. He's such a good lecturer... :frown:
We're about to start Groups, Rings and Fields; hopefully it will be as good :smile:
Reply 5786
Hi
Can any Part 11 Maths people give me some idea of what the Part 11 Catam projects are like.

I've obviously done the first two for IB, are the Part II ones likely to take the same amount of time? (I hadn't done any programming before Catam).

Is it possible to do them over the summer to get them out of the way or are the lecture courses needed. I know it depends on preferences etc, but are there any you would recommend or avoid?

Many thanks
Reply 5787
You need to know the material. But, you can learn the lecture courses over the summer as well!

And so far, imo, they're weird. Some are ridiculously difficult, some are really easy.
Original post by Meteorshower
Started new courses. Lagrangian and Hamiltonian dynamics is pretty sweet

That sounds so sweet......I don't understand Jacobian and why we use it :s-smilie:
Reply 5789
Original post by Cass999
Is it possible to do them over the summer to get them out of the way or are the lecture courses needed.
Quite a few of them can be done with IB knowledge or even IA knowledge. They say at the top.

I can't answer your other questions since I haven't done any yet.
(edited 13 years ago)
How easy is it at Cambridge to get supervised for a course 'above' the year you're in, in a term when it's not being lectured? Does it depend on college? How often does it happen?

ambie
Original post by boromir9111
That sounds so sweet......I don't understand Jacobian and why we use it :s-smilie:

Yeah, although at the moment i'm trying to prove that the shortest path between two points on a plane is a straight line :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
Yeah, although at the moment i'm trying to prove that the shortest path between two points on a plane is a straight line :p:

That's easy. You just use the triangle equality with induction.
Original post by Simplicity
That's easy. You just use the triangle equality with induction.

We have to do it using the principle of least action.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodesic

You mean this?
Why is group theory such a pain in the arse? I've never had such a difficulty studying for an area of maths...

Time to get some books with questions and answers to see what the hell is going on. Damn incompetent lecturer.
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Why is group theory such a pain in the arse? I've never had such a difficulty studying for an area of maths...

Time to get some books with questions and answers to see what the hell is going on. Damn incompetent lecturer.

:yes:

Yeah, pretty much :p:
Yeah, pretty much :p:

That sounds so exciting, lucky :eek: :mad: lol.....:tongue:
Original post by boromir9111
That sounds so exciting, lucky :eek: :mad: lol.....:tongue:

I presume you are being sarcastic, but it actually kinda is :p:

(well, when you graduate to more interesting applications)

Quick Reply

Latest