The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey,

I'm an Year 12 student doing Extended Project Qualification.
For this, I have to write a long dissertation about a topic.
I want to become a doctor so I would like to have a topic that is related to medicine (biomedical field).
I thought of doing the controversy of cloning, but i think it's an overly used worn topic that doesn't have the 'freshness' to appeal to the examiners.
Is there a good controversial issue that I could use for my dissertation?

Thank you.:smile:
Original post by annathecat
Hey,

I'm an Year 12 student doing Extended Project Qualification.
For this, I have to write a long dissertation about a topic.
I want to become a doctor so I would like to have a topic that is related to medicine (biomedical field).
I thought of doing the controversy of cloning, but i think it's an overly used worn topic that doesn't have the 'freshness' to appeal to the examiners.
Is there a good controversial issue that I could use for my dissertation?

Thank you.:smile:

How about the use of risk factors (especially genetic) in pricing someones health insurance premiums.

THe NHS is heading increasingly private, and it may become more of an issue in next 10-20 years.
Certainly becoming an issue in the US.
Reply 3
How about something related to whether it's right that Obese people 'waste' NHS resources..or any other self-inflicted illnesses (smoking, drinking, taking drugs)

Or how about the whole palava about whether or not embryos should be used in research. There was a topic about it in The Guardian a while ago;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/jan/05/human-embryo-losing-legal-protection?INTCMP=SRCH

Oh, and also whether people should be allowed to have another child, in order to 'save' the first (i.e because they've been shown to have matching bone marrow etc)
hi,

I was in a similar position to you before doing my E.P, after a conversation with a very helpful audiologist on my placement, I looked into the 'future of the NHS in the information age', how I.T is being handled in the NHS (NPfIT etc), interesting stuff if you want to work in the NHS, and very relevant.

I know it sounds dull, and it was, but very rewarding!:smile:
Original post by MDAkhi

Or how about the whole palava about whether or not embryos should be used in research. There was a topic about it in The Guardian a while ago;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/jan/05/human-embryo-losing-legal-protection?INTCMP=SRCH

I would agree with this, as many people would say stem cell research is the (at least one of the) biggest advancements in biomedical science.
Reply 6
Could talk about the controversy of euthanasia. Not exactly original, but can be interesting.

Or, like the person above me suggested, the use of embryonic stem cells.
Has anybody done an extended project and how much did it help with your application?
Reply 8
How much doctors should be paid.
Reply 9
How about the silent invasion of noctors and the effect this is having on junior doctors training and the future of the nhs?
Original post by k3ro
Could talk about the controversy of euthanasia. Not exactly original, but can be interesting.

Not original, but certainly topical given the recent defeat of the Margo MacDonald End of Life (Scotland) Bill.
Reply 11
I think discussing the future of the NHS would be a very interesting topic. Pros and cons of a privatized health care system, how to make the public service more efficient without causing damage to patient care.
Reply 12
Original post by nicolaangel
Has anybody done an extended project and how much did it help with your application?

i have done it currently on a gap year i'm a re-applicant. i'm not sure how the universities consider it. but i have a leeds interview coming up so if i get the chance i am going to say it shows i am capable of learning independently as in medicine you will need read around your subject outside lectures etc and be responsible for your own learning. :smile:
Original post by sarah1991
i have done it currently on a gap year i'm a re-applicant. i'm not sure how the universities consider it. but i have a leeds interview coming up so if i get the chance i am going to say it shows i am capable of learning independently as in medicine you will need read around your subject outside lectures etc and be responsible for your own learning. :smile:

Are you going to link it to pbl?
How much work is it? Is it manageable?
Reply 15
Are you going to link it to pbl?

i would link it to pbl if the uni uses it but leeds is not a pbl course so not going to mention it

How much work is it? Is it manageable?

i found it quite managable i didn't start mine till quite late and once you start 5000 words does not seem to be a lot. i did mine on recreational drugs so i just got info from books and internet about side effects etc, got some statistics on drug use and did a short questionaire at college asking about people's views on drugs. it's not too hard if you take it seriously some other people at college gave up halfway because they couldn't be bothered. there does be a long time to hand it in so as long as you do bit by bit on a regular basis it shouldn't add too much to your workload :smile:
Thank you everybody ^^
Keep posting! More ideas the better
xxx
Reply 17
I did the EPQ on 'Multiple Sclerosis and how it affects a sufferer within society', i got an A* in it. Tbh i dont think there that hard to do, i didnt exactly go overboard in effort with mine.
Im going to try and bring it up in my St Andrews interview ... so i will get bk to you on how much unis like it haha
From Brighton and Sussex Medical school website:

'The Extended Project Qualification (EPQ)

BSMS welcomes candidates who have successfully completed an Extended Project, recognising the effort that they have expended and the valuable skills and knowledge that they will have gained. However, we are looking for breadth of experience in our future doctors and so, other than under quite exceptional
circumstances, we will still require candidates to have studied a minimum of four subjects to A/AS level (taking at least three of them to A). Chemistry and Biology Extended Projects will not be acceptable in place of A/AS levels in the subjects, nor will it be acceptable for candidates to offer an Extended Project and an A-level in one and the same subject, the Extended Project being offered in lieu of the 4th AS. Candidates who are otherwise strong, but who have not had the opportunity to do an Extended Project will not be disadvantaged.'

That not withstanding, it's as much about how you make reference to the EPQ in your PS, relating back to work exp if poss that matters. Not all schools and colleges offer the EPQ .
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
I am doing mine on NHS cancer screening. :cyber:

Not the most interesting topic, tbh. :sigh:

Latest

Trending

Trending