The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Applicants Thread 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingMessi
Make that four. Warwick don't want me either. :cry2: :banghead: :mad: :frown: :dontknow: :confused:

I have no idea. I must have written the worst personal statement ever....

Oh my. It's been truly crazy this year, some of the smartest people I know have been getting rejections left right and centre. Any other year, we'd all have offers. It's just been mad this year.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 1701
Thanks, but I got rejected. I have no idea whether you have an offer...if you have, fantastically well done, if you're waiting, best of luck, if you got rejected, I can fully empathize and I'm sorry.

Ah I'm sorry :frown:
I know it's absolutely no consolation, but it's just bad luck! It's not you. I had a friend last year, who was SO incredibly clever that he was moved up a year, had practically perfect grades etc...and yet got round rejections.

Sometimes it's just purely ridiculous. And this year is a horrible year to apply to university. Record number of applications and all that.
Best best best of luck on your last option, but if it's not your ideal choice, and you do get an offer, don't go just 'cause you feel you have to.
There's always a gap year.

EDIT-And your GCSE grades are better than mine too.
Reply 1702
Make that four. Warwick don't want me either. :cry2: :banghead: :mad: :frown: :dontknow: :confused:

You should ask them why they rejected you.
Double check your application for errors? Seems odd.
Original post by Est.
You should ask them why they rejected you.
Double check your application for errors? Seems odd.

I intend to, although I harbor reservations about doing so; I doubt Warwick or Durham will give me anything useful. I'm sure I'll get a patronizingly generic statement, saying something like "Your application was very strong, but we have a huge amount of competition for places and blah. Blah. Blah.

And I doubt that, although thank you for the thought. I'm a huge pedant, so errors in my statement seem unlikely. Everything in terms of grades was triple- and quadruple- checked; I didn't want anything to harm my Oxford chances. As for my reference, my form tutor read it out to me and school were hugely complementary-far more so than I'd imagined.

Thank you, anyway.
Original post by blackpot
Ah I'm sorry :frown:
I know it's absolutely no consolation, but it's just bad luck! It's not you. I had a friend last year, who was SO incredibly clever that he was moved up a year, had practically perfect grades etc...and yet got round rejections.

Sometimes it's just purely ridiculous. And this year is a horrible year to apply to university. Record number of applications and all that.
Best best best of luck on your last option, but if it's not your ideal choice, and you do get an offer, don't go just 'cause you feel you have to.
There's always a gap year.

EDIT-And your GCSE grades are better than mine too.

Thank you, it's really appreciated. I think a lot of what you say is true, especially with regards to this being an awfully tough year to apply. Your friend would, I suppose, be a prime example of the ludicrously competitive farce that is UCAS application. One of my friends got rejected from UCL but accepted by Oxford. :lolwut:

Thanks; it's Bristol, which would have been my second choice after Oxford. However, my course has an applicant:tongue:lace ratio of one-in-twenty-six, and, with my application having gone as it has, you can appreciate my lack of confidence. I feel resigned to a gap year.

Thank you, nevertheless. Have you got a Warwick offer?
Original post by bramz19
Oh my. It's been truly crazy this year, some of the smartest people I know have been getting rejections left right and centre. Any other year, we'd all have offers. It's just been mad this year.

Perhaps, yeah. I feel utterly powerless; if I hadn't worked hard then perhaps I'd feel less frustrated....why did you get banned?
Reply 1706
I intend to, although I harbor reservations about doing so; I doubt Warwick or Durham will give me anything useful. I'm sure I'll get a patronizingly generic statement, saying something like "Your application was very strong, but we have a huge amount of competition for places and blah. Blah. Blah.

And I doubt that, although thank you for the thought. I'm a huge pedant, so errors in my statement seem unlikely. Everything in terms of grades was triple- and quadruple- checked; I didn't want anything to harm my Oxford chances. As for my reference, my form tutor read it out to me and school were hugely complementary-far more so than I'd imagined.

Thank you, anyway.

Wait a minute. What were your choices?
Original post by sango
Wait a minute. What were your choices?

Oxford, Durham, Bristol, Warwick and UEA. I know. I'm an utter moron. A moron who is planning to reapply next year. :facepalm: :colondollar:
Reply 1708
Oxford, Durham, Bristol, Warwick and UEA. I know. I'm an utter moron. A moron who is planning to reapply next year. :facepalm: :colondollar:

I wouldn't say that. However your grades, whilst being very good would be deemed average or even below average by grade whores such as Oxford, Durham and Warwick. Given the fact that you also applied for one of the most competitive courses in the country, I would have chosen only two from Oxford, Durham, Bristol and Warwick and had UEA and two other unis as your choices. Sorry to hear about you UCAS situation though, seriously. You look like a stronger candidate than myself and other people on here so how the hell you have four rejections and I have two offers and an interview is beyond me.
Reply 1709
Thank you, it's really appreciated. I think a lot of what you say is true, especially with regards to this being an awfully tough year to apply. Your friend would, I suppose, be a prime example of the ludicrously competitive farce that is UCAS application. One of my friends got rejected from UCL but accepted by Oxford. :lolwut:

Thanks; it's Bristol, which would have been my second choice after Oxford. However, my course has an applicant:tongue:lace ratio of one-in-twenty-six, and, with my application having gone as it has, you can appreciate my lack of confidence. I feel resigned to a gap year.

Thank you, nevertheless. Have you got a Warwick offer?

Ha yeah, my boyfriend was accepted by Cambridge, but rejected by Edinburgh...it's all very weird this whole uni business.

Yes, I have a Warwick offer for psychology.
But as I would quite like to change courses, take a gap year, and don't feel strongly about any of my uni offers (I really don't know why, 'cause they're all lovely unis!), I think I'm going to be reapplying this time next year too after a good long think about what to do with my life :P
So here's to reapplying in a year, (hopefully) without so much scary competition! :biggrin:
Perhaps, yeah. I feel utterly powerless; if I hadn't worked hard then perhaps I'd feel less frustrated....why did you get banned?

Ahh, I truly feel for you mate. Keep up the hard work: if you smack your exams and turn up next year with some shiny A*s, maybe unis will start to see that they made a mistake :smile: Meh, they tried to ban me, but I'm unbannable :cool:

Sorry to hear about this, I really feel for you :frown: Competition for uni places is so crazy this year and it's really crappy that working your butt off and getting amazing grades isn't enough to get you offers. God knows what unis like Warwick are looking for in applicants - it doesn't make any sense that someone like me would get an interview while you get rejected because your grades are so much better than mine! Good luck with Bristol, I hope they give you an offer!
Reply 1712
x

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you made your A-level choices, you were not considering English, is that true?
Original post by sango
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you made your A-level choices, you were not considering English, is that true?

No, I've wanted to do English since...forever. It's my ambition to be an author, or, if that fails as bad as my university application has, a journalist. Why?
Reply 1714
No, I've wanted to do English since...forever. It's my ambition to be an author, or, if that fails as bad as my university application has, a journalist. Why?

Oh okay it's just that your A-Levels look like that of someone who is keen on biology related subjects. I would have thought that you would want to do a language and/or history, especially since you got A*s in them at GCSE.
Reply 1715

Hi, I had a friend similar to you last year who got rejected from all but 1, with fantastic grades (full marks in a few modules). However, she had sociology, and her other subjects weren't particlarly relevant either. If they have a choice between someone with As in English, French and History or someone with English, Biology and Sports Studies then the first would win every time. It's unfortunate that it's so ridiculously competitive this year.

It says this on the Warwick website for your course
A levels in Applied Subjects and Mixed Portfolios: Candidates offering vocational qualifications considered, providing essential subject requirements are met. Most other A level subjects are acceptable, though languages, and subjects with an essay-writing component, are particularly welcome.

To be honest, you should have chosen a range of universities, instead of assuming that you would get into the top ones. There are so many others with fantastic grades, and it means that even if you did get offers then you wouldn't have an insurance. Reapply next year with less competition, maybe you would enjoy a gap year? Gives you a chance to gain work experience etc to make your application even stronger?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by xwinter45x
I got an offer today for Economics, Politics and International Studies. The conditions are 38 points in IB including a 6 in HL maths :smile:

hey sorry, must seem random since u posted this message a while ago but i was skimming through the thread to see if anyone posted about this course.. i also applied for it and am doing the IB, with a 40 as my predicted grade and i still haven't heard back :s-smilie: do u mind if i ask what your predicted grade was?
Reply 1717
Original post by viola146
Hi, I had a friend similar to you last year who got rejected from all but 1, with fantastic grades (full marks in a few modules). However, she had sociology, and her other subjects weren't particlarly relevant either. If they have a choice between someone with As in English, French and History or someone with English, Biology and Sports Studies then the first would win every time. It's unfortunate that it's so ridiculously competitive this year.

It says this on the Warwick website for your course
A levels in Applied Subjects and Mixed Portfolios: Candidates offering vocational qualifications considered, providing essential subject requirements are met. Most other A level subjects are acceptable, though languages, and subjects with an essay-writing component, are particularly welcome.

To be honest, you should have chosen a range of universities, instead of assuming that you would get into the top ones. There are so many others with fantastic grades, and it means that even if you did get offers then you wouldn't have an insurance. Reapply next year with less competition, maybe you would enjoy a gap year? Gives you a chance to gain work experience etc to make your application even stronger?

Erm why on earth are you quoting me? If you look at the spoiler in my sig you would see that I have two offers and a Warwick interview. It is KingMessi whom you should be directing this message to.
Original post by sango
Erm why on earth are you quoting me? If you look at the spoiler in my sig you would see that I have two offers and a Warwick interview. It is KingMessi whom you should be directing this message to.

When's the interview?
Original post by catalina18
Username: catalina18
Subject: European Law
Offer: Conditional AAAc
UCAS submitted: 30th September 2010
Firm/Insurance/Declined: Firm

Hi,

I see that you have an offer for European Law at Warwick - I am still waiting for mine. Have you applied for the French/German/ICP?

Quick Reply

Latest