The Student Room Group

Rejection from Cambridge for 2011

Scroll to see replies

When: 7th January
How: Was at a hotel near a beach. Had WiFi there. Used an iPhone to access my mail. Found the rejection mail in my inbox on an iPhone.
What for: Natural Sciences
College: Trinity
Emotions: Gutted. I still havent gotten over it.
Why: Physics not good enough. PS not specific enough. International student so harder.
Reapply?: Nah. Maybe Masters or PhD
Reply 301
Original post by King-Panther
What, do you think it will be even more competitive next year, even with the increase in tuition fees?

Not necessarily more competitive, at least not this year. I just feel that with the hike in tuition fees up to £9000 the whole process will become so much more stressful. Yes you'll go to an excellent university but you'll have to factor in the fact that you'll be paying WAY more than anyone else for this privilege. But perhaps that's a good thing? Perhaps it'll even out the odds for other universities in the top 10? Still, I can hardly see it encouraging poorer students.
What, do you think it will be even more competitive next year, even with the increase in tuition fees?

I think this year will be the high point of competitiveness. The previous year was the highest it had ever been, leading more to be reapplying and, certainly from people I know in the higher year, more people were encouraged to sit it out and wait til the 2011 cycle. Then with the fees increase you see more people applying, more people who were going to apply giving up on their deferred entry etc. etc.

Next year I think you can be that little bit more optimistic. I eagerly await the figures for this year for applicants.
Original post by Lyam
No, don't be silly. The truth is merely a property of propositions and it alters an a sliding scale correlating to how accurate the proposition, if fully understood in its expressed manner, relates to this world or any other world if specified. Glad I could solve that philosophical issue for you.

Now, I just mean that I'd probably want to carry on for a doctorate if I got a first. :smile:

I don't totally agree with you, luckily I'll be studying Philosophy A level next sept.. So its going to be a "to be continued" scenario. I'm sure you'll get a first, as we do usually reap what we sow.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Svalir
Not necessarily more competitive, at least not this year. I just feel that with the hike in tuition fees up to £9000 the whole process will become so much more stressful. Yes you'll go to an excellent university but you'll have to factor in the fact that you'll be paying WAY more than anyone else for this privilege. But perhaps that's a good thing? Perhaps it'll even out the odds for other universities in the top 10? Still, I can hardly see it encouraging poorer students.

I'm a "poorer" student and it has not deterred me but yes you're right, its not very encouraging.

Original post by comrade_jon
I think this year will be the high point of competitiveness. The previous year was the highest it had ever been, leading more to be reapplying and, certainly from people I know in the higher year, more people were encouraged to sit it out and wait til the 2011 cycle. Then with the fees increase you see more people applying, more people who were going to apply giving up on their deferred entry etc. etc.

Next year I think you can be that little bit more optimistic. I eagerly await the figures for this year for applicants.

Yes, this will be the most competitive year.
Reply 305
I don't totally agree with you, luckily I'll be studying Philosophy A level next sept.. So its going to be a "to be continued" scenario. I'm sure you'll get a first, as we do usually reap what we sow.

Well it'd be awfully charming of the university chaps to give me a first! I can only hope. If you're taking philosophy as an extra easy subject, I'd really advise against it. Most people say it's their hardest. :smile:
Original post by Lyam
Well it'd be awfully charming of the university chaps to give me a first! I can only hope. If you're taking philosophy as an extra easy subject, I'd really advise against it. Most people say it's their hardest. :smile:

No I'm not, I'm taking it because I've always had an interest and apparently I'm "philosophical". None of my choices are an easy option, they're all subjects I'm interested in and relative to architecture.
Reply 307
No I'm not, I'm taking it because I've always had an interest and apparently I'm "philosophical". None of my choices are an easy option, they're all subjects I'm interested in and relative to architecture.

Related*

Though I'm not sure how Philosophy is related to architecture as such?
Original post by Lyam
Related*

Though I'm not sure how Philosophy is related to architecture as such?

My bad, its not really but it is a humanities and an interest of mine.
Reply 309
I did ask in an earlier post but got no response:

How do I get my feedback? Just call the college up or email?

Thanks.
Reply 310
My bad, its not really but it is a humanities and an interest of mine.

yea i'm thinking of taking art, maths, physic and philosophy

i figure uni's would like an essay based subject :smile:
Original post by holbolrob
I did ask in an earlier post but got no response:

How do I get my feedback? Just call the college up or email?

Thanks.

i think you email your college or your school/parents email the college with a written consent from you requesting feedback.
although, i'm not sure... :smile:
Original post by jayemwon
yea i'm thinking of taking art, maths, physic and philosophy

i figure uni's would like an essay based subject :smile:

I'm taking the exact same subjects, as well as environmental studies (its about sustainable living). To which college do you intend to apply.
Reply 313
I'm taking the exact same subjects, as well as environmental studies (its about sustainable living). To which college do you intend to apply.

i'm doing my a levels starting from next year so I still have a long time before I actually apply, but these are the uni's i'm considering at the moment: Cambridge, UCL, Cardiff, Edinburgh and Oxford Brookes

so it might change i dont know :P you?
i'm doing my a levels starting from next year so I still have a long time before I actually apply, but these are the uni's i'm considering at the moment: Cambridge, UCL, Cardiff, Edinburgh and Oxford Brookes

so it might change i dont know :P you?

Cambridge, UCL, the AA, Sheffield, Bath and Cardiff.
Reply 315
Cambridge, UCL, the AA, Sheffield, Bath and Cardiff.

wow those are all top universites known for architecture
seen you a lot in the 'architecture related' forums, you must be really eager to get in!(which i assume everyone will be including me) good luck :smile:
wow those are all top universites known for architecture
seen you a lot in the 'architecture related' forums, you must be really eager to get in!(which i assume everyone will be including me) good luck :smile:

Yep, I'm sure most people are. Thank you, good luck to you too!
Reply 317
Hi, sorry I'm a bit of a newbie on here but I was just wondering if anyone else has gotten feedback from Emma? If so, was yours quite harsh or is it just me?
Oh, and I was rejected after interview, English, Emmanuel...
Pretty gutted to be honest. I was beginning to get over it but then I got this horrible feedback and now I'm all sad again...:frown:
Original post by LucyM
Hi, sorry I'm a bit of a newbie on here but I was just wondering if anyone else has gotten feedback from Emma? If so, was yours quite harsh or is it just me?
Pretty gutted to be honest. I was beginning to get over it but then I got this horrible feedback and now I'm all sad again...:frown:

Oh no :hugs: I'm really sorry to hear :frown: Would you consider reapplying?
Reply 319
Original post by LucyM

What kind of stuff did they say?

(I didn't even bother requesting feedback, I know it's because I only had 3 A*s at GCSE... From 4 years ago!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending