The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1040
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Saturday night in to conserve cash so I can afford to go home at some point.

I didn't even drink or smoke after our hall formal last week. Took some doing, but I feel really proud of myself.:biggrin:

shameful
Reply 1041
Original post by Philosoraptor

Its talking about skeletal muscle mate. If you think very carefully - cardiac muscle is self stimulating :p: Autogenicity and all that.

The second bit I'd have to quickly look up as I don't remember of the top of my head.

Original post by Tech
Neurotransmitters functions are largely dictated by the receptor - It all depends on the exact cell, system or whatever you're talking about. It (ACh) triggers action potentials in the NMJ because the receptors are nicotinic. It hyperpolarizes the cardiac (nodal) cells because the receptors are muscarinic (M2).

hope that clears it up a bit! and off the top of my head, I think it's calcium that binds to troponin, which pulls tropomyosin off actin (allowing the myosin to work its magic)

but you'd want to check that before writing it in an exam :smile:

Thank you both kindly, I was actually going to ask why ACh stimulated APs in skeletal muscle but not cardiac muscle (though the answer seems painfully obvious now) so both your posts complemented very nicely! Thanks very much for helping.

Original post by lekky
Woody. Stop making my brain hurt. :p:

Original post by Becca-Sarah
Ditto. I'm ashamed that I supposedly have two years more medical knowledge than him and yet understood about three words of that entire conversation :getmecoat:

Sorry, I do appreciate it is a bit annoying when discussions get side tracked - I shall be quiet from now on!
Original post by lekky
shameful

Hey, you didn't see how much I spent last Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday.

Bet it wasn't more than me on Thursday :hubba:
Reply 1044
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I'm revising Psych and actually finding it really interesting. I've read more of my psych textbook in 2 days than I have of any other textbook in the last three years. I blame my psych tutor who told me to consider it as a career :hmmm:

that's impressive! i find psych interesting too but i cant see myslef as a psychiatrist. i will go nuts too. im already getting paranoid about being paranoid, having an eating disroder or a borderline personality disorder just after 3 weeks of psych PBL cases!!!
Bet it wasn't more than me on Thursday :hubba:

Go for it.
Original post by malaz_197
that's impressive! i find psych interesting too but i cant see myslef as a psychiatrist. i will go nuts too. im already getting paranoid about being paranoid, having an eating disroder or a borderline personality disorder just after 3 weeks of psych PBL cases!!!

Medical studentitis -isn't it fun...
Reply 1047
Dunno how much it's changed but past papers = godsend.
Endo is amazing - so well taught. And CALs to cover everything.

Haven't spent any time at UCH at all. My clinics placements in 3rd year were the Whit and the Free.

Do you have all the past papers?

The CALs make a really nice change! shame you haven't spent any time at UCH, I've been at the whit and free for preclinics, was hoping in a couple of years I'd get to be at UCH :frown: although, if I get the BSc I want I think I might be spending some time there :cool:

I've got all the pps thanks (at least I think!), and some nice psychology summary files to boot.. just need to actually do some work now :P I think the main change for our year is they're taking anatomy out of the MEQs.. everything else seems similar though.
Original post by Tech
The CALs make a really nice change! shame you haven't spent any time at UCH, I've been at the whit and free for preclinics, was hoping in a couple of years I'd get to be at UCH :frown: although, if I get the BSc I want I think I might be spending some time there :cool:

I've got all the pps thanks (at least I think!), and some nice psychology summary files to boot.. just need to actually do some work now :P I think the main change for our year is they're taking anatomy out of the MEQs.. everything else seems similar though.

You might do! It's completely random which two sites you get... unless you put in some exceptional circumstances or something.
What BSc you going for?
Go for it.

Well it was over 4 grand :biggrin:

On beer? :lol:

So you bought the bike?

:eek: WTH!? In one day!? What did you do!?

EDIT: Oh :colonhash: Not just on drink :unimpressed:
Reply 1052

such a lack of commitment to the cause

:tongue:
On beer? :lol:

So you bought the bike?

Yeah, she's beautiful. I might post some pictures :biggrin:

Awesome-sauce. Specs?
Reply 1055

sweet! what bike?

and I'm hoping for medical physics.. I think in the imaging module we head to the MRI at UCH :smile:
Original post by Kinkerz
You want to be an orthopod, no? Like it matters how much you know about ACh/muscarinic receptors/etc... medicine in general. :p:

Corrected :tongue:
Awesome-sauce. Specs?

Original post by Tech
sweet! what bike?

and I'm hoping for medical physics.. I think in the imaging module we head to the MRI at UCH :smile:

Haha I'm not being sarky - will it mean anything to you guys if I tell you haha?

And MED PHYSICS >_<

Rather you than me sir hahaha :p:
Haha I'm not being sarky - will it mean anything to you guys if I tell you haha?

Yes! But I might need to ask wiggle for translation....:u:
Original post by Lantana
Yes! But I might need to ask wiggle for translation....:u:

Oi you, stop blurring thread boundaries haha. :goaway:

:p:

Latest

Trending

Trending