The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by killer whale
Excellent post OP. St Andrews is such an overrated university. It isn't anything special academically, no better than twenty or so others, and clearly inferior to Oxbridge, and yet the actual student experience sucks.

The weather is dismal, there is absolutely nothing to do as you say. and those who sing its praises are either practising cognitive dissonance, or they don't know what they are missing.

OR they aren't being as honest as you are.

Well done for keeping it real.

To you and to the people who say there is nothing to do.
That's utter bull****.
There's PLENTY to do if you get up off your ass and do something. There are parties on all the time if you don't want to go to 1 of the MANYMANYMANY pubs. Then ofcourse there is the union, lizard, etcetc. If you know people, then there is always something to do. If you don't know people, then you should've made an effort to make friends.

& to the people who come from a lower class backround and who are worried. Don't be. About 95% of the people I've came across are just normal-not-up-their-own-arse kind of people.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Ecosse_14
To you and to the people who say there is nothing to do.
That's utter bull****.
There's PLENTY to do if you get up off your ass and do something. There are parties on all the time if you don't want to go to 1 of the MANYMANYMANY pubs. Then ofcourse there is the union, lizard, etcetc. If you know people, then there is always something to do. If you don't know people, then you should've made an effort to make friends.

& to the people who come from a lower class backround and who are worried. Don't be. About 95% of the people I've came across are just normal-not-up-their-own-arse kind of people.

Woot Woot for St Andrews!!
I hate this board. It keeps getting regurgitated like last nights bad eggs and the point remains the same. Not everyone is happy all of the time. Live with it.

If you're disappointed with your university, way to go you - you've just had your first experience of many of life's disappointments.

Do i like the university? I love it and I wouldn't choose any other.

Are there some things I'd like to change? Of course there are, nothing's perfect.

Am i going to get all pissy when something isn't how i like it? No, now bugger off and get some studying done.
Original post by dragon500uk
I hate this board. It keeps getting regurgitated like last nights bad eggs and the point remains the same. Not everyone is happy all of the time. Live with it.

If you're disappointed with your university, way to go you - you've just had your first experience of many of life's disappointments.

Are there some things I'd like to change? Of course there are, nothing's perfect.

Am i going to get all pissy when something isn't how i like it? No, now bugger off and get some studying done.

To be fair, you didn't have to reply. Although I personally think the OP is full of ****e and comes across as spoilt and immature. I also went to a private school, by the way - where's my medal??

Anyway, I also left St Andrews via UCAS transfer as I said earlier in the thread. On the whole, I enjoyed the limited time I had in St Andrews and never suffered from any of the complaints she has; however, my personal circumstances were entirely different.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 304
Original post by xCHiiBiEverlastingx
Is the proportion of 'rahs' to common folk really that bad? I'm just an ordinary Kent girl and don't mind hanging out with posh people unless we would literally have nothing to say to each other :colondollar: A few people have mentioned about cliques too, and rude locals: what's your take on this?

I am glad for this thread, it's useful to cover all the bases. I am doubting whether I should have applied for StAs but then again I actually feel the same way for all my choices (it all just seems so 'final'!!) But based on all I've heard so far, I think I'd really like it, and the course flexibility is my idea of perfect.... Only con is that it is so very far away, and since I haven't yet visited, the full impact of that hasn't quite sunk in yet. Really really hope they give me an offer so I can have the luxury of making that decision :tongue:

Whilst there are a lot of 'rahs' here, having nothing to talk about will rarely be issue, or never has been for me. Things obviously happen in halls which people talk about, general discussions etc., one of the nicest guys in my hall is epicly posh!
I've not really noticed any cliques either, obviously the KKK (Kate Kennedy Klub) are cliquey elitist ****ers as a group, as are the Lumsden, but beyong that it isn't much different from the outside world, as for rude locals, I've seen a very little bit. Older folk seem to be fine, but there was a night when a couple of local Young team kicked off, pretty standard stuff really, just an issue of knowing how to deal with that stuff, which if you come from an area where it's fairly necessary to be street-wise, you should be able to. Although I'm completely skint atm (For a while I though I could spend like some other students here... quickly realised that isn't the case, no Mummy or Daddy to top up the account :wink: ) I'm still enjoying Uni atm, and love the geographical diversity, although don't let their boasts in the prospectus of general diversity fool you, this place is very much elitist, That's every different however from having people wandering round spitting at poor people if you understand me? I'd recommend St Andrews to you anyway, withjout obviously knowing you!

RAISIN WEEKEND!!!
Reply 305
Original post by Paul92
I'm still enjoying Uni atm, and love the geographical diversity, although don't let their boasts in the prospectus of general diversity fool you, this place is very much elitist, That's every different however from having people wandering round spitting at poor people if you understand me?

I've spoken to so many people who act elitist because they went to a state school in a bad area and their parents didn't have much money. I've never heard anyone showing off about how rich they are and how their daddy used to fly them over from the US to play golf every weekend.
Reply 306
Original post by Magma828
I've spoken to so many people who act elitist because they went to a state school in a bad area and their parents didn't have much money. I've never heard anyone showing off about how rich they are and how their daddy used to fly them over from the US to play golf every weekend.

Which is why I emphasised that the fact people come from wealthy families doesn't equate to people boasting and acting like you say. As for 'elitism' from working class folk, I've only encountered a couple of comments. Mainly that we have worked harder to be where we are due to a worse education, perhaps somewhat true. I personally take the view of don't hate the player hate the game.
Reply 307
Original post by dragon500uk

Well said. I visited 2 weeks ago and found a few warm pubs which were full of friendly people. I suppose places are always what you make of them and it doesn't seem difficult to have a good time in St. Andrews.
Original post by Umiisadorable
O.K, I'm writing this because I wished someone had done the same for me when I was applying to University, and been honest about what its REALLY like at St Andrews. I am a Second year student at the University, and wanted to make a formal warning to people wanting to apply to this University, because I don't want others to be duped the way that I was and then arrive here and realise what a colossal mistake they have made.

O.K, academically, the university has a very strong reputation which in my opinion, isn't entirely justified; having been to a private school since the age of 12, I have actually been relatively unimpressed by some of the teaching standards here at St Andrews especially in the first two years which do not actually count towards the rest of the degree. So essentially, two out of the four years you'll spend here, unless you are actually studing medicine are a complete waste and count for nothing, and some of the tutors in the Arts honours degree are simply postgraduate students whose tutorial sessions are completely redundant and useless and essentially function as a means of checking that you've simply read the pointless articles and snippets set. The point is that St Andrews has a strong reputation primarily because it is an OLD university- the oldest in Scotland in fact, which is why its regarded so highly- so don't be fooled as I was into believe that it is truly anything special.

Now, to the most significant part of my article- the place itself is hopeless. Its like a tiny, picturesque little prison with no clubs, and a very limited amount of shops and NO SHOPPING CENTRE whatsoever. People really skim over that fact when talking about this place as if it doesn’t matter, but its important because it becomes maddening- even for people who claim to adore the place, the fact that the highstreet has basically very few shops is a drag, as is the standard and quality of the so-called 'nightlife'. As I stated there are NO CLUBS just tiny crowded pubs with embarrassingly little space that attempt to mould themselves into clubs, but have 'dancefloors' the size of a small bedroom and play awful music. Students BEHAVE as though they are enjoying themselves thoroughly, getting dressed up to stand around in grotty pubs and drink, but they’re either very sad or pretending, honestly, because there's never any space and ALL VENUES SHUT AT ONE O CLOCk in the morning. I'm not kidding. So people leave their little dorms at 11 to come back two hours later drunk and say they've had a great night. It’s very, very sad. If leaving the Union at 1 in the morning after spending your time in there listening to the same terrible music in a tiny box of a room sounds fun then perhaps not, but people behave as if they're SO excited for absolutely no reason at all because there is nothing to get excited about. I love going out, but going out here is not what i call going out because all you're doing is going to one of the pubs next to Tesco to the Union which are all five minutes away from each other because the place is so ridiculously, pathetically small.
It is a beautiful place if you like castles and rabbits, and there is a gorgeous beahc although its only really ‘usable’ for one moth over the two Semesters and the fact that it is as small as it is ruins things, because instead of being able as you should in a city or a larger town, to escape to the centre for an afternoon just to relax or go somewhere a little different with friends- here there is no 'centre' to escape to, and So little to do its incredibly claustrophobic.

The centre of town consists of three streets with tiny little shops and a few banks, like the bare minimum you would expect from an underdeveloped borough in London. There’s Dundee to go to which is 25 minutes away on a bus, but that in itself is actually a very dismal place with a few half decent shops although it does have a few clubs, which are the only saving grace of the place- I’ve been a few times and the clubs are actually good there which is a plus, but the cab fare to get there and back is 60 pounds- you know why? Because of the terrible transport system which means that there are no such thing as night buses here and so you HAVE to take a cab if going out to Dundee later than midnight- it’s things like that which bother me, because even ATTEMPTING to have fun is hard work here.

Its also very difficult to find decent work here because of the lack of opportunities because of the lack of shops, and the \university’s Career Centre is completely hopeless, and basically has no reason for existing, because all the vacancy details could just be sent by e-mail to students, but they refuse to do that and instaead obligate you to go there in person and look up a vacancy located in a single file, which yu then have to que for half and hour to get access to. I am NOT joking.
Most significantly, I have spoken to three people from London, two of whom are my friends and one who has now left because he hated the place so much, and they all say the same thing about it. I had to write this because since I came I have contemplated leaving several times, so if you’re from a decent, fun city, be prepared for the hugest disappointment of your life.

This is an excellent place for social climbers who live in Wellingtons and wear Ray Bans and tweed in December and actually consider drunkenly stumbling around in someone’s lounge or the crowded rooms in the Union until only 1 in the morning to be a fun night out. My experience here has illustrated the extent of people's capacity for self deception and delusion because sincerely, the place is pathetic. One of the most boring places I have ever lived, and a regretful and frustrating experience. If you want a real taste of University life, do not come to St Andrews- almost everyone I’ve spoken to since coming here has expressed that they dislike the place for the very same reasons I have stated here. Obviously, as I expect, people will disagree with me, but this needs to be said, because I have seen hints of others stating negative things about the place but no-one so far I have read has really given the place the dressing down it deserves.

The teaching in my subject is ok.

It is small and does lack shops, restaurants, clubs and bars but I wouldn't call it a prison.

It does suck running into people you know all the time.

The shops thing isn't a big deal tbh. I'm a girl and into shopping, but I haven't had a problem at all. You can get all the basics in St A. Otherwise there's Dundee, Edinburgh or online shopping.

The clubs in Dundee are mostly a bit scummy.

I would add that the sports centre is disappointing bc it has no swimming pool, but there are other facilities in the town.

I disagree about jobs. I've had a few jobs with the university and have had had the chance to work in local shops etc. I know loads of people who have or had jobs in St A. The big hotels often recruit. I never went via the careers centre though.

Yes, the transport isn't as good as London, but I've managed ok. It's not hard to get to Edinburgh, Dundee etc. Tbh, it's a small town in Scotland, I really don't think you can expect night buses and an extensive transport system.

Of course it doesn't have the same features as London. It's LONDON!

I agree with the sentiment of your post though.

Lots of silly cliquey wannabes.

I can't wait to be in a city again (London!).
Original post by duracell
Seriously, if you didn't visit before coming here for uni, that's your own fault, not St Andrews'.

As for the first two years being a complete waste, I'd like to see how well you'd do taking Honours modules straight off at the age of 18. :rolleyes:

You sound like St Andrews promised you a massive shopping centre and millions of clubs and a huge city, and now that it's not what you expected, you feel totally let down. The Union is open til 2am Thursday-Saturday, Lizard is open (I think) til 2am Thursday/Friday, Fat Sams in Dundee runs a bus there most Friday/Saturday nights... basically everyone (at least the people I know) who came here knew beforehand that's it's a small town with no 'clubs' per se, but still a good nightlife.
And anyone who isn't in a 'really cool awesome club' til at least 3 or 4 in the morning, isn't REALLY having fun? Suuuuuure.
If you thought you were going to be sunbathing on a beach in Scotland.. then I would say it is you who is delusional! We still go on beach-walks now.. have been doing since September, so that would be 5 months usage...

My point of view is that if you find something boring, it's probably because you're not making the most of it. We have never had problems finding something to do on the weekends/evenings: whether it be pub crawl, movie marathons in the tv rooms, drinking games/pool in the common room, bop, etc etc.. And I haven't even been to the castle/museum/aquarium/cathedral yet!

What I love most about your post is that bascially because you didn't do your research properly, you're slagging off a really good town and university because they didn't live up to your ridiculous expectations.

I agree
Original post by L i b

Its proximity to Dundee and Edinburgh are its only saving grace, and transport links with either are pretty poor.

I disagree. Buses to Dundee are regular and convenient. Trains and buses to Edinburgh are the same.

I have commuted to Edinburgh at least once/twice a week from St Andrews and never had any problems
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Umiisadorable
Sharkky You WILL mind it, trust me- the teaching is O.K, but they base tons of it on lecture slideshows which you have to print out and basically learn word for word in order to pass ( this is coming from my Medic friends)...also they hav very long class hours and seminars, so a lot of time in-class but i thinmk thats standard for most Medical students if thats a style of teaching you're comfortable with, you'll be fine.....but like I said, other aspects of the place matter as well. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That's often how preclinical medicine is
Original post by halfoflessthan50p
I went to university in London, and ironically, had a lot of the same problems as you:

You get bad lecturers and tutors at every university. Even Oxbridge. Its because theyre primarily researchers not trained teachers like at school.

It takes far longer than 25 minutes to get anywhere in London and the taxis are more expensive. We generally had to travel for an hour on the tube to get to our favourite clubs

I often felt bitter that I wasnt getting the real university experience aswell. I wanted to live in a small campus town where there were lots of students all living close to each other and where there was a sense of community.

Castles, rabbits, house parties and beach parties sounds like heaven to me. Which just goes to prove what everyone has been saying - each to their own and go to the bloody open day before you agree to spend 3 years of your life living somewhere!

Interesting post
I've heard the exact same thing so many times about St. Andrews!
Reply 314
Original post by No Future
I disagree. Buses to Dundee are regular and convenient. Trains and buses to Edinburgh are the same.

I have commuted to Edinburgh at least once/twice a week from St Andrews and never had any problems

There is no train station in St Andrews - that's not remotely convenient. Realistically, having some buses and a railway line three villages over isn't really going to strike anyone as particularly effective.

As it happens, I've used the St A's-Dundee bus before despite my utter distaste for buses - took at least 45 minutes, when you can drive it in 20.
Reply 315
Original post by L i b
There is no train station in St Andrews - that's not remotely convenient. Realistically, having some buses and a railway line three villages over isn't really going to strike anyone as particularly effective.

As it happens, I've used the St A's-Dundee bus before despite my utter distaste for buses - took at least 45 minutes, when you can drive it in 20.

The Dundee bus takes ~20 minutes (I have got it many times), not 45 minutes. The train station is less than 10 minutes away by bus, and from most of the student halls you can walk to a bus stop in 5 minutes tops. In lots of other towns or cities you'd have to walk for longer than that to get to the train station, or get a bus anyway. It's not so bad, really.

There are lots of easy ways to attack St Andrews, but poor transport links to Dundee and the train station in Leuchars are not accurate criticisms of the town.
Original post by M_E_X
The Dundee bus takes ~20 minutes (I have got it many times), not 45 minutes. The train station is less than 10 minutes away by bus, and from most of the student halls you can walk to a bus stop in 5 minutes tops. In lots of other towns or cities you'd have to walk for longer than that to get to the train station, or get a bus anyway. It's not so bad, really.

There are lots of easy ways to attack St Andrews, but poor transport links to Dundee and the train station in Leuchars are not accurate criticisms of the town.

I agree take sheffield for example (purely because that's where I live at the moment), if you go to the university of sheffield its about a 20 minute bus journey to the train station from where you live, so 10 minutes is not a bad deal tbh.
Original post by L i b

I agree, a train station in St Andrews would make it easier, but it's not difficult to get to Leuchars at all.

Whenever I take the bus to Dundee, it's usually 30 mins, tops if there's really bad traffic. It's usually 20 or so

I think that's pretty good. I've lived in London and a bus from Kings Cross to Waterloo (a 2.5 mile journey) takes at least 30mins, depending on traffic.

My friends at UCL have to catch a bus to lectures and that takes at least 20 mins and they live closer to central than most students

Bus to Leuchars takes 10 mins and arrives in time for the fast train to Edinburgh. Not difficult. Or taxi deal is £10.

It sounds like you just dislike public transport, mate.

There are some things I dislike about St Andrews, but local transport isn't really on my list.

Also, your statement that there "a few" buses in incorrect. Go and stand at St Andrews bus station and there are several regular local and regional buses.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by M_E_X

This.

I had a friend at Warwick and it was at least 15mins from the train station to campus and a 15 min walk to his halls
(edited 13 years ago)
I have nothing to say about St. Andrews but I just wanted to defend Dundee...you said it has 'a few half decent shops', Dundee town centre has all the shops you find in a decent shopping centre/complex! Whenever we go (my mum's from there) we never get round to all the shops because there are so many! That is all...

Latest

Trending

Trending