The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Applicants Thread 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1720
Original post by sango
Erm why on earth are you quoting me? If you look at the spoiler in my sig you would see that I have two offers and a Warwick interview. It is KingMessi whom you should be directing this message to.

Sorry, didn't check. I'll see if I can change it.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
I got an interview for the 28th...for english literature creative writing, and my portfolio's in for the 18th...and I only found out on Friday! They apparantly had to add another interview date because of how many applicants there are this year :s-smilie:
The personal statement matters a lot at Warwick. Even if someone has mega-amazing grades, if their personal statement isn't mainly about the course and doesn't show that they can write critically and sticks mainly to A-level subjects etc then they may be rejected.

Tough luck though to those who've been rejected :frown:
Reply 1723
Original post by bramz19
When's the interview?

On the 25th.

Wait a minute, why the **** are you banned? :confused:
Original post by sango

Original post by sango
On the 25th.

Wait a minute, why the **** are you banned? :confused:

:rolleyes:

It's their subscriber usertitle. :yes:
Reply 1725
Original post by Crazy Paving
:rolleyes:

It's their subscriber usertitle. :yes:

I know this guy IRL, it isn't in his nature to be so "humorous".
Original post by sango

Original post by sango

Well believe what you want, but if he was banned, he'd have warning points, he'd have no avatar and his username would go back to the default colour. And he wouldn't be online right now. :p:
Original post by sango

Haha, ouch! They're right though. Good luck for your interview mate, I'm sure you'll own.
Reply 1728
Original post by bramz19
Haha, ouch! They're right though. Good luck for your interview mate, I'm sure you'll own.

Lol okay then, I thought something had simply gone wrong. Thanks man anyway, I hope I own them otherwise I will be stuck in York. Peak times. :nopity:
Reply 1729
Original post by Sarah38
Applied to Philosophy and Literature, looks like a really great course, doubt I will get an offer though :smile:
Anyone else applying to Philosophy and Lit?

I've applied for Philosophy and Lit!
Still waiting for a decision though.
Reply 1730
KingMessi
x

Hey, I know you probably feel kinda crappy with only one option left but gap years can be fun! :smile: I got two and half rejections last year (out of the four I applied to) and I just did not want to go to the choice that I had left (I didn't make very informed choices with regards to courses that actually interested me...). I'm now in a much better position than I was last year (I got accepted by a uni that half rejected me last year), and I feel like I've made much better choices about the unis I've applied to. I mean, yeah, you'll get higher tuition fees but in the long run it shouldn't make much difference, and you'll also have you grades in hand - I'll be the first to admit that my subject choices don't really fit with English, but I have 2 A*s so that's got to count some way in my favour (it definitely did with Exeter, at least) - who knows, Bristol might love you :smile:
Reply 1731
Original post by megaduck
The personal statement matters a lot at Warwick. Even if someone has mega-amazing grades, if their personal statement isn't mainly about the course and doesn't show that they can write critically and sticks mainly to A-level subjects etc then they may be rejected.

Tough luck though to those who've been rejected :frown:

Hello :smile:
I remember talking to you quite some time ago. Have you applied to Warwick? Any decisions yet?
Reply 1732
Original post by KingMessi
Oxford, Durham, Bristol, Warwick and UEA. I know. I'm an utter moron. A moron who is planning to reapply next year. :facepalm: :colondollar:

Have you considered using UCAS Extra at the end of this month to find another good course? It might be a handy way of avoiding next year's evil fees....
Original post by Monicaca
Have you considered using UCAS Extra at the end of this month to find another good course? It might be a handy way of avoiding next year's evil fees....

Maybe. I have a Gap Year job lined up, and if I get my targets for the summer (A* A* A) then I'd really rather not settle, and reapply. If I get AAA or AAB, then my UCAS Extra choice, or Clearing, may be the most logical option.
I have an offer of AAB to study French =) . Not sure whether to accept the offer yet or not, got to wait and see what happens with my other choices (I'm still waiting to hear from Birmingham and Bristol, already got offers from Exeter and Cardiff).
Reply 1735
Original post by BigPash
I am 'unsuccessful' :/ :'(

I STILL haven't heard back?! Maybe they're just ignoring me :P
Where are you gonna go now then? :smile:
Original post by Vekeh
Hey, I know you probably feel kinda crappy with only one option left but gap years can be fun! :smile: I got two and half rejections last year (out of the four I applied to) and I just did not want to go to the choice that I had left (I didn't make very informed choices with regards to courses that actually interested me...). I'm now in a much better position than I was last year (I got accepted by a uni that half rejected me last year), and I feel like I've made much better choices about the unis I've applied to. I mean, yeah, you'll get higher tuition fees but in the long run it shouldn't make much difference, and you'll also have you grades in hand - I'll be the first to admit that my subject choices don't really fit with English, but I have 2 A*s so that's got to count some way in my favour (it definitely did with Exeter, at least) - who knows, Bristol might love you :smile:

Meh, yes, I do. But thank you for all of that. I guess I'll just reapply a stronger candidate next year...where are you going now?

I doubt Bristol will take me. :erm:
Original post by sango
Oh okay it's just that your A-Levels look like that of someone who is keen on biology related subjects. I would have thought that you would want to do a language and/or history, especially since you got A*s in them at GCSE.

:frown: My dad advised that I do Languages. I wish that I had. :facepalm: I could perhaps do an extra AS next year. I did ask my Uni admissions tutor whether taking Sport would put me at a disadvantage, and he said no. :dontknow:
Original post by viola146
Hi, I had a friend similar to you last year who got rejected from all but 1, with fantastic grades (full marks in a few modules). However, she had sociology, and her other subjects weren't particlarly relevant either. If they have a choice between someone with As in English, French and History or someone with English, Biology and Sports Studies then the first would win every time. It's unfortunate that it's so ridiculously competitive this year.

It says this on the Warwick website for your course
A levels in Applied Subjects and Mixed Portfolios: Candidates offering vocational qualifications considered, providing essential subject requirements are met. Most other A level subjects are acceptable, though languages, and subjects with an essay-writing component, are particularly welcome.

To be honest, you should have chosen a range of universities, instead of assuming that you would get into the top ones. There are so many others with fantastic grades, and it means that even if you did get offers then you wouldn't have an insurance. Reapply next year with less competition, maybe you would enjoy a gap year? Gives you a chance to gain work experience etc to make your application even stronger?

I intend to do a gap year and have a job lined up that will earn me between £8000 and £9000. Plus jobs both this summer and next should leave me in a good financial position. I can also try to expand my literary CV and write a better PS. Hopefully all of that, combined with 2 A*'s and an A, should get me into somewhere good next year.

Where is your friend now?
Reply 1739
Original post by Crazy Paving
Well believe what you want, but if he was banned, he'd have warning points, he'd have no avatar and his username would go back to the default colour. And he wouldn't be online right now. :p:

Now I think about it, what were you doing on this thread? You're at uni already. :eyeball:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending