The Student Room Group

Higher English Close Reading

So I just did a Higher English practice paper and got 34/50 and I swear it was an easy one compared to others I've done in class before: in which I usually would get a mark in the 20s. So basically, I'm not feeling too great about my close reading...

Is anyone the same? Anyone offer any advice? :frown: I'm aiming for 5 As so I really do need to pull my mark up...
Reply 1
oh, same, same. I hate close reading, but I love English. I had my Higher prelim two weeks ago and I got 33/50, and I missed the 5 marker, because I ran out of time. Considering the fact that I'mnot really good at close reading, this is an acheivement for me. I managed to get a good A pass for the prelim.

I think I might be getting better at this, and my only advice is: practice. I'm trying to read as much articles as possible, I check the meanin of the words that I don't know, I do a close reading paper, or a practice paper every week, because I really want to get better at it. There isn't much more you can do. Just practice.
Reply 2
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Some people don't think the book is particularly helpful, but I found How To Pass Higher English enormously beneficial in pulling up my close reading mark to nearly full marks. Practice is also golden.

this. yes, this book is really good. this, and close reading book from Hodder, as well.
Reply 3
Original post by LonelySoul193
So I just did a Higher English practice paper and got 34/50 and I swear it was an easy one compared to others I've done in class before: in which I usually would get a mark in the 20s. So basically, I'm not feeling too great about my close reading...

Is anyone the same? Anyone offer any advice? :frown: I'm aiming for 5 As so I really do need to pull my mark up...

I hate close reading..

I was getting around the 40's in the actual past papers we done in class.

Come the prelim; the prelim paper was the hardest thing i've ever done in my life! WOW! didn't have a clue what was going on, and more to the fact, it was an SQA paper from the NAB Bank!!! ( an old nab)!!!

Haven't got the marks back yet.. but jees...
Reply 4
Also do simple things.

Like; Read question on both passages first..

Read both titles, and intros

Read first passage

Then start answering questions...

I reallly dislike english..
Reply 5
If close reading was not in Higher English I am sure I would actually pass it. I failed the Close Reading NAB and the textual analysis with 12 and 13 respectively. I managed to pass both resits with 15.5 and 19. In a practice, past prelim, in class I got 19/50. So there are many people who find close reading difficult - I don't know why it seems relatively easy when you look at some papers. However I always seem to put down what the markers don't want!

I've posted this quite a few times before... I find it really helps.

Close Reading Tactics:

Understanding Questions -
(1) Use your own words wherever possible
(2) Answer is in the passage
(3) Don't forget the obvious answers
(4) WHAT the writer is saying

Analysis Questions -
(1) ALWAYS quote
(2) Identify any techniques
(3) Think about HOW the writer is saying something
(4) Answer the question

Evaluation Questions -
(1) Asses the effectiveness of the writers' style/ideas.
(2) Give reasons for why you think this: quote or refer to text.

Context Questions -
(1) State what the word(s) mean
(2) Quote the word(s) or feature(s) that helped you to figure out that meaning
(3) Answer the question!

Sentence Structure Questions -
Identify aspect of sentence structure:
- Length of sentences
- Types of sentences
- Punctuation, parenthesis
- Repetition, lists, inversion, climax
Answer the question - usually explain effect of sentence structure

Imagery Questions -
(1) Quote the image
(2) Type of image
(3) Literal meaning ("Just as... the ocean is really violent)
(4) Figurative meaning ("So... is X characters actions)
(5) Answer the Question

Features of Language -
(1) Identify language feature (word choice, imagery, tone, sentence structure, repetition, sound technique)
(2) Use tactics for that technique to answer question

Tone Questions -
(1) Identify the tone (feeling)
(2) Quote from or refer to the passage to show why you think that is the tone: word choice, structure
(3) Answer the question

Word Choice Questions -
(1) Quote the word(s)
(2) Denotation
(3) Connotations
(4) Answer the question

Link Questions -
(1) Quote from link that refers back
(2) State what first paragraph is about
(3) Quote from link that refers forwards
(4) State what next paragraph is about
(5) Answer the question

THE FINAL QUESTION! -
(1) Quote from both passages
(2) It's like a mini essay
(3) Aim to spend 15 minutes on it
(4) Ideas = writers' points
(5) Style = writers' techniques
I've posted this a lot before. It's a bit wordy, but is full of good advice.
http://www.staloysius.org/myrtle/English/s5/mod2/Language_Skills_Revision.htm

This is a link to some past papers and practice papers to use.
http://www.staloysius.org/myrtle/English/s5/mod3/resourcepage.htm
Reply 8
Thanks for all the links guys.

I did a past paper today after doing one yesterday also. Yesterday I got 34/50 and today I got 35/50. I'm not exactly overjoyed at this scores but they're better than I have been getting before: scores in the 20s. What's the sort of mark for an A? I take it it's over 40?
Thanks for all the links guys.

I did a past paper today after doing one yesterday also. Yesterday I got 34/50 and today I got 35/50. I'm not exactly overjoyed at this scores but they're better than I have been getting before: scores in the 20s. What's the sort of mark for an A? I take it it's over 40?

Depends on the essays, but it certainly doesn't need to be over 40! The mean minimum mark (hehe alliteration) for an A over the past 5 years is 64%, so if you were equally good at folio stuff, critical essays and close reading, you'd need about 32/50 for an A. Obviously the grade boundaries might shift a bit in either direction with the introduction of the folio, but 40/50 is 80% - I don't see it shifting that much :P.
Original post by derangedyoshi
Depends on the essays, but it certainly doesn't need to be over 40! The mean minimum mark (hehe alliteration) for an A over the past 5 years is 64%, so if you were equally good at folio stuff, critical essays and close reading, you'd need about 32/50 for an A. Obviously the grade boundaries might shift a bit in either direction with the introduction of the folio, but 40/50 is 80% - I don't see it shifting that much :P.

Ah I see. Thank you, and yes, nice use of alliteration :wink:
Reply 11
i'm actually in the exact same scenario as you! absolutely love english, i'm doing well in the essays but close reading is where i lose the most marks. I think the best think to do is keep practicing! My english teacher keeps reminding our class that the answers are always going to be there! We just have to stay calm enough to find them hahaa. I have my prelim next week!
Original post by seejayybee
i'm actually in the exact same scenario as you! absolutely love english, i'm doing well in the essays but close reading is where i lose the most marks. I think the best think to do is keep practicing! My english teacher keeps reminding our class that the answers are always going to be there! We just have to stay calm enough to find them hahaa. I have my prelim next week!

Mines is tomorrow :O xD ahhhhhhhhh!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending