The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medicine Applicants 2011 :D

Scroll to see replies

It depends who you speak to because I was told that they use a cutoff, I thought it was higher than 614.
I've got an interview with 625, so the cut-off must just be before this score!
Reply 881
How long before the UKCAT should you prepare for??
Original post by string theory
That is what it says clearly on the website. However, at an open day I attended the presenter did say that they were considering taking the UKCAT score more into consideration in the future but that at the moment it wasn't so important. He did not know that they had already set the UKCAT cut off for 2011. (I know because I queried it at the end of the presentation). I understand the confusion and frustration. At the end of the day what is in print is probably the best guide. Admissions were also reluctant to be specific - they would not say that a UKCAT score under the cut off would definitely be unsuccessful. Home app. 8 standard grade 1's. 7 A's and 1 B at Higher by the end of 5th and 4 current AH's working for G 8 violin, other instruments, sports, volunteering, medical work exp. Rejected without interview. Reason UKCAT.

15% -is- quite a significant part of the application process! Remember that the entirety of your personal statement and reference also makes up 15%.
Original post by Fusilero
15% -is- quite a significant part of the application process! Remember that the entirety of your personal statement and reference also makes up 15%.

Yeah 15% UKCAT - Huge part - (though in my op. owning fairly debatable value). Just saying there were mixed messages coming out so can understand the frustration. For home apps there are 4 choices and 5 uni's. two have UKCAT cut offs! With a low score it's a wasted choice if you categorically want to study at home but if it's presented as flexible it becomes a gamble rather than a def. no no. But then all med apps are a bit of a gamble, lol! :tongue:
That is what it says clearly on the website. However, at an open day I attended the presenter did say that they were considering taking the UKCAT score more into consideration in the future but that at the moment it wasn't so important. He did not know that they had already set the UKCAT cut off for 2011. (I know because I queried it at the end of the presentation). I understand the confusion and frustration. At the end of the day what is in print is probably the best guide. Admissions were also reluctant to be specific - they would not say that a UKCAT score under the cut off would definitely be unsuccessful. Home app. 8 standard grade 1's. 7 A's and 1 B at Higher by the end of 5th and 4 current AH's working for G 8 violin, other instruments, sports, volunteering, medical work exp. Rejected without interview. Reason UKCAT.

8 highers? are you god?

edit: i dont mean that an any mean way or anything, just EIGHT HIGHERS?! how did you cope?!
Yeah 15% UKCAT - Huge part - (though in my op. owning fairly debatable value). Just saying there were mixed messages coming out so can understand the frustration. For home apps there are 4 choices and 5 uni's. two have UKCAT cut offs! With a low score it's a wasted choice if you categorically want to study at home but if it's presented as flexible it becomes a gamble rather than a def. no no. But then all med apps are a bit of a gamble, lol! :tongue:
Well, you do know your UKCAT before the application so you know what you're getting into :tongue:
Original post by ukcathater
You sat 8 highers in 5th year!!!

Crumbs NO! lol. Our (state) school piloted an early exam scheme - so sat SG in S3 (8 1's and one 2) in S4 3 highers (2 A's 1 b) and int 2 (A), then highers (5 A's) in 5th. I think it's being changed now because of curriclulum for excellence so no more SG's. It seemed to work ok though!
Many thanks for the encouraging comments though. I did apply to Edinburgh but not confident there at all - again UKCAT.... doh!
Yeh i suppose that's right she applied knowing it was below their cut off. That's fair enough i suppose. would have been better applying to a non ukcat uni:rolleyes:

Don't really want to go into detail because it was a gamble and knew that but tbh lets say was'nt exactly discouraged from applying. Mixed messages. Water under the bridge. What can you do? Not moaning. Just sympathising with the previous who said similar..
Maybe could have gone for another non UKcat UNI south of the border but it already takes 5.5 hrs + to the nearest UNI from here! And that's a UKCAT uni! Transport links not brill.
Where are you hoping for?
How about you Fulsilero?
Reply 888
Original post by Schoolio93
St. Andrews was the first choice for my best friend - he really loved it. He has a really strong PS good grades but got rejected because He scored 610 in the UKCAT????!?!?! :mad: That really made me angry because the cut off is 614. :angry:And when we called the admissions before sending off the application, they said that they don't use the UKCAT as a cut-off - it'll only count 15% towards the overall application > what's up with giving out false info??? :confused:

Original post by Fusilero
They do use a cutoff, but at quite a low level of the average score across all applicants.

But that's not a gaurantee of interview, merely that anyone below gets an automatic rejection. If you get above you still have to have an overal excellent application to cross the threshold for an interview.

There are exceptions, I got an interview with a UKCAT of 580 (I know pretty bad :tongue:). God knows why though, loads of people seem to have been rejected because of the UKCAT with better stats. It probably won't come to anything though, I'm clearly going to get a crap score for the 15% that's allocated to it, and it would be a Herculean task to get an offer with 15% already out the window. All I can really hope is that loads of people completely duff up their interview, which realistically isn't going to happen :frown: It's a gutter, I really want to go but I suppose I was lucky to get the interview. But would they have given me an interview knowing that I was doomed? :confused:
Reply 889
Don't really want to go into detail because it was a gamble and knew that but tbh lets say was'nt exactly discouraged from applying. Mixed messages. Water under the bridge. What can you do? Not moaning. Just sympathising with the previous who said similar..
Maybe could have gone for another non UKcat UNI south of the border but it already takes 5.5 hrs + to the nearest UNI from here! And that's a UKCAT uni! Transport links not brill.
Where are you hoping for?
How about you Fulsilero?

St Andrews is actually a 13 hour drive from where I live!
This is the problem with Scottish applicants, most aren't willing to apply outside of Scotland, when realistically you may have a much better chance getting into the english med schools.
Original post by KCosmo
There are exceptions, I got an interview with a UKCAT of 580 (I know pretty bad :tongue:). God knows why though, loads of people seem to have been rejected because of the UKCAT with better stats. It probably won't come to anything though, I'm clearly going to get a crap score for the 15% that's allocated to it, and it would be a Herculean task to get an offer with 15% already out the window. All I can really hope is that loads of people completely duff up their interview, which realistically isn't going to happen :frown: It's a gutter, I really want to go but I suppose I was lucky to get the interview. But would they have given me an interview knowing that I was doomed? :confused:

That's brilliant! Mountains of good luck to you. :redface: St. Andrews is really nice. Hope you get a place.
Reply 891
Original post by KCosmo

At the end of the day everyone has weak areas, mine being my GCSEs. So I'm sure you have just a strong chance as everyone else!
Original post by ryan118244
St Andrews is actually a 13 hour drive from where I live!
This is the problem with Scottish applicants, most aren't willing to apply outside of Scotland, when realistically you may have a much better chance getting into the english med schools.

Oh? Why is that?
Reply 893
That's brilliant! Mountains of good luck to you. :redface: St. Andrews is really nice. Hope you get a place.

At the end of the day everyone has weak areas, mine being my GCSEs. So I'm sure you have just a strong chance as everyone else!

Cheers guys :smile: Good luck to you too! :biggrin:
Original post by KCosmo

I'm sure you have a chance! They're not going to throw away an interview if you don't have a chance, and a good chance at that. It costs them (and you) money. They're not going to get you up out there so they can laugh at you :biggrin:
Reply 895
Most unis don't bother too much about gcses or standard grades so you dont really have a disadvantage:rolleyes:. re an earlier point you made Im scottish and applied to liverpool they were pretty quick along with dundee to reject me:tongue:

I was rejected last yr from 3 of my choices because they said I didn't have enough A*s at GCSE :frown:
Haha Liverpool seems to be popular with the Scottish. There are others.
Reply 896
Oh? Why is that?

Exactly as ukcathater put it!
For example Cardiff is a great choice for people who don't have great UKCAT scores but have good academics, they point GCSEs, not sure what they do with highers though. But if your strong academically then you don't have to do very well in te interview.
Exactly as ukcathater put it!
For example Cardiff is a great choice for people who don't have great UKCAT scores but have good academics, they point GCSEs, not sure what they do with highers though. But if your strong academically then you don't have to do very well in te interview.

Thanks for this. I have absolutely no idea what I'll do next year if I don't get an offer but I'll remember that if I re-apply. I think I could improve on the UKCAT. TBH I'd love to study here in Scotland, reasonably close to home. I guess I have to be realistic though. Huge respect to you for keeping going. It's such a tough option, people on this forum are amazing and such an inspiration. It's so sad to hear about rejections.
Reply 898
Uh, is there anyone else that hasn't heard ANYTHING from them? No interview or rejection? I thought everybody without interview had been rejected already...
Reply 899
Thanks for this. I have absolutely no idea what I'll do next year if I don't get an offer but I'll remember that if I re-apply. I think I could improve on the UKCAT. TBH I'd love to study here in Scotland, reasonably close to home. I guess I have to be realistic though. Huge respect to you for keeping going. It's such a tough option, people on this forum are amazing and such an inspiration. It's so sad to hear about rejections.

Just dont give up!! Ther are med schools that place huge emphasis on reapplicants!!
I hope you get in though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending