The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

University of Kent Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by diamonddust
I have an offer for that course too! Tbh, I'm more excited about Scarlett Thomas teaching the contemporary novel than I am about Kent as a university lol
I don't know how to choose between Kent and Lancaster as insurances... :s-smilie:

Easy. Pick Kent :biggrin:
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Well having got an offer from UEA which I wasn't expecting, I am now unsure of what my firm will be (that is ofcourse if I get an offer from Kent)
I loved them both on the open days.
Just got an offer for History..grades ABB....Shweeeet.
Original post by jaydemikaela
Easy. Pick Kent :biggrin:

Exactly what my sister said! When I asked why she said 'Because it will be cheaper for me to go and see you!' :biggrin: Yay to objectivity! I did really like Kent and it's a good university and I'd like to do a bit of American lit and it's close to home but not TOO close and I DID love Canterbury but I don't know... It should be a no brainer, especially as I can't afford to even visit Lancaster! I'm just putting off deciding the inevitable! :redface:
Offer for history :biggrin:
340 points from 3.5 A levels
Essentially, I need ABB this year.
Now this raises the question of whether I prefer Kent or UEA for my firm.
I visited yesterday for the history open day, just edged over UEA for me and now I've just accepted as a firm on ucas. Just better decide on the accommidation now!
Original post by shootforstars
I visited yesterday for the history open day, just edged over UEA for me and now I've just accepted as a firm on ucas. Just better decide on the accommidation now!

In what ways did it have the edge over UEA?
I think I preferred the general atmosphere when I went to the open day in October, but the UEA open day I went to was almost a year ago, and it was the first uni I visited so wasn't really sure what was going on.
Original post by AlexInWonderland
I think I preferred the general atmosphere when I went to the open day in October, but the UEA open day I went to was almost a year ago, and it was the first uni I visited so wasn't really sure what was going on.

If you weren't sure what was going on I'd suggest you visit again just to make sure.
I was lucky with Kent. I didn't visit and just came here. Loved it since!!
Original post by Loz17
If you weren't sure what was going on I'd suggest you visit again just to make sure.
I was lucky with Kent. I didn't visit and just came here. Loved it since!!

Yeah, I am planning on visiting Kent and UEA again :smile:

Good plan :h:

Good plan! Going to UEA again on Saturday and I can't wait! :love:
When I visited Kent, I liked it but I was a bit 'meh' about it for some reason. The talks were really funny and the lecturers were witty! I like the campus and the wide year abroad options. I really wouldn't mind spending 3 years there. But UEA was pretty much a dream for ages and I never thought I'd get in for my course. When I visited I fell in love with it, it has an amazing atmosphere! I didn't want to leave! I know I'd be perfectly happy going to Kent but UEA is more 'me'. I think you'll be fine wherever you choose! Can you firm one and insure the other or do they ask for the same grades? I know UEA has a really good rep for History but then Kent does too...
Are there any modules one offers that the other doesn't?

Just the general atmosphere and the sports facilities really. I did prefer the UEA accommodation. I notice that you want to do History, same as me and I have to say that the guy who did the history lecture, Mark something, was the one who did it on the open day last year and was brilliant, really inspiring! Plus you can pick some of the War Studies modules if they're not to full apparently and some of the modules are more of my thing really! I did really like UEA but Kent just edged it really in terms of social life, sports, general atmosphere and course really :biggrin: Hope that helps!
Original post by shootforstars
Just the general atmosphere and the sports facilities really. I did prefer the UEA accommodation. I notice that you want to do History, same as me and I have to say that the guy who did the history lecture, Mark something, was the one who did it on the open day last year and was brilliant, really inspiring! Plus you can pick some of the War Studies modules if they're not to full apparently and some of the modules are more of my thing really! I did really like UEA but Kent just edged it really in terms of social life, sports, general atmosphere and course really :biggrin: Hope that helps!

I completely agree with you about the person who gave the speech at the open day, I really liked him. No other person giving a university speech has impressed me that much.

I liked Kent accommodation, particularly the Parkwood houses, but UEA accommodation was pretty good aswel.

Will do a lot more research into them both over the weekend.

I am pretty excited now, only 3 days ago I hadn't had any offers and was getting really nervous lol, this has been a good week :smile:
I completely agree with you about the person who gave the speech at the open day, I really liked him. No other person giving a university speech has impressed me that much.

I liked Kent accommodation, particularly the Parkwood houses, but UEA accommodation was pretty good aswel.

Will do a lot more research into them both over the weekend.

I am pretty excited now, only 3 days ago I hadn't had any offers and was getting really nervous lol, this has been a good week :smile:

I do like Park Wood, but I just thought the UEA rooms were more light and airy for a lower price really.

Ooh well done, I think I got mine through early because I applied in October! None of my friends have got any yet so you're doing really well!
Offer for history :biggrin:
340 points from 3.5 A levels
Essentially, I need ABB this year.
Now this raises the question of whether I prefer Kent or UEA for my firm.

Congratulations on your offer!

I got the same offers (for almost the same course) as you and also need to decide about firm/insurance. I will probably put UEA as my firm and Kent as my insurance. I got ABCC at AS and need AAB/ABB this year so ive got some work to do!
Original post by CrypticGoose
Congratulations on your offer!

I got the same offers (for almost the same course) as you and also need to decide about firm/insurance. I will probably put UEA as my firm and Kent as my insurance. I got ABCC at AS and need AAB/ABB this year so ive got some work to do!

Snap. I sort of want Lancaster as my insurance but I haven't visited and won't be able to...
Anyone know if you can modify your accommodation choices after you've applied? I want an en suite!
Original post by diamonddust
Anyone know if you can modify your accommodation choices after you've applied? I want an en suite!

Ring the accommadation office and have a chat to one of the people there. They're all lovely and helpful there :grin:
Original post by Loz17
Ring the accommadation office and have a chat to one of the people there. They're all lovely and helpful there :grin:

Thank you! :biggrin:
Got my information pack about open days and things today. I must say, I am impressed, it's much shinier than the Reading or UEA one.

I am going to book my visit day tomorrow probably, when I know the situation with my dads work. I am wondering if there are any opportunities to visit accommodation? I understand I need to apply soon, and from the October accommodation I am pretty sure I will apply for Parkwood houses, I just wonder if it is worth waiting until the open day.

Additionally, how urgently do I need to be looking into this? I want self catered, and Kent is possibly going to be my firm, so obviously it is pretty important.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending