The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jessaay!
We don't cover that until 2nd year but my flatmate learnt it by drawing the muscles and using an anatomy colouring book. For muscles I think that's one of the best ways to learn.

Or pretend to learn that you know it, like me :colone:
We met the Brachial Plexus today.

Bugger me.
Original post by Lantana
How do people memorise the muscles of the elbow/hand? They're all blurring into one :'(

hey, i had to learn them last semester, awful! how i finally clicked with them is realising that their names are to do with their position function: longus=long, brevis=short, radialis=by radius, ulnaris=by ulna, pollicis=thumb, digitorum=fingers, indicis=index finger. Then also the action it carries out...

so, we can tell it is flexor pollicis brevis because it flexes the thumb (you can tell by its position), and is short.

sorry if you already knew this, but after this dawned on me it all seemed really easy! x
Original post by Fission_Mailed

Bugger me.

I always thought he was really friendly.
Original post by Lantana
How do people memorise the muscles of the elbow/hand? They're all blurring into one :'(

I buried my head in the sand and hoped it didn't come up.

Bugger me.

It looks daunting but play with pipe cleaners and it clicks quite easily...like in the picture (T1 is bottom right, and bearing in mind, mine is more complex than it needs to be)

Original post by blonde-beth
hey, i had to learn them last semester, awful! how i finally clicked with them is realising that their names are to do with their position function: longus=long, brevis=short, radialis=by radius, ulnaris=by ulna, pollicis=thumb, digitorum=fingers, indicis=index finger. Then also the action it carries out...

so, we can tell it is flexor pollicis brevis because it flexes the thumb (you can tell by its position), and is short.

sorry if you already knew this, but after this dawned on me it all seemed really easy! x

I guess also that carpi is wrist. So far, I've got that it's either flexors or muscles beginning with p in the anterior bit of the arm and they are all innervated by the median nerve except for flexor carpi ulnaris and flexor digitorum profoundus. Do you know about the posterior part if they all innervated by the median nerve? And in the hand, it's the first two lumbricals and OAF of the thumb innerated by the median nerve?

I dislike the hand, give me back the auditory system...:frown:
Original post by Lantana

Original post by Lantana
I guess also that carpi is wrist. So far, I've got that it's either flexors or muscles beginning with p in the anterior bit of the arm and they are all innervated by the median nerve except for flexor carpi ulnaris and flexor digitorum profoundus. Do you know about the posterior part if they all innervated by the median nerve? And in the hand, it's the first two lumbricals and OAF of the thumb innerated by the median nerve?

I dislike the hand, give me back the auditory system...:frown:

We started off with the leg. Which isn't actually too bad :dontknow: Not looking forward to the foot though :sigh:
Original post by Lantana
It looks daunting but play with pipe cleaners and it clicks quite easily...like in the picture (T1 is bottom right, and bearing in mind, mine is more complex than it needs to be)
(

That's purrdy. :smile: And it looks about as complex as we need.
Indeed :frown: I should have warned you guys about that. It came up last february. In fact the paper was identical to last February, which is kind of irritating just because I thought that it would be different and more similar to May so I didn't spend as much time on the stuff that did come up in Feb :p: Immunodeficiency/autoimmune stuff always seems to come up and always catches me out. In May it was about Di George syndrome (which I believe was an answer to one of the questions on the page about X-linked Agammaglobulinaemia).

Stupid febs! I also went to the histology labs by accident before I realised it was in the cruciform :frown: Luckily I was early enough to be on time, but I always manage to make a fool of myself and ended up arguing with the security guy at the histology labs cos I was convinced it was in there.

Yeah, what an annoying question. OMG! I put Di George syndrome down for one of the questions - I was just stabbing in the dark really. Hope that's right.

Apart from that it wasn't too bad. Can't wait for the the SBAs. :awesome: Not really.
Reply 1089
Original post by Onychophagia
X-Linked Agammaglobulinemia :colonhash:

Indeed. That whole page was pretty awful with me. And kinases. It completely went from my head as to what one was, and I wasn't happy! Ah well, all for learning's sake.
Original post by Onychophagia
Yeah, what an annoying question. OMG! I put Di George syndrome down for one of the questions - I was just stabbing in the dark really. Hope that's right.

Apart from that it wasn't too bad. Can't wait for the the SBAs. :awesome: Not really.

I think Di George syndrome was right.

Oh yeah, SBAs. I forgot about that. I spent my entire afternoon procrastinating. I just went shopping and earlier I spent an hour in Pret with my flatmates. LAPT time :woo:
Original post by Woody.
Indeed. That whole page was pretty awful with me. And kinases. It completely went from my head as to what one was, and I wasn't happy! Ah well, all for learning's sake.

Oh yeah, what are those?

I was just sat there like, well, I've heard of them at least...

Oh yeah, what are those?

Enzymes that transfer a phosphate group from ATP (usually I think) to some other molecule :p:
Reply 1093

Oh yeah, what are those?

Pretty much what Baby-Boo said: 'A kinase, alternatively known as a phosphotransferase, is a type of enzyme that transfers phosphate groups from high-energy donor molecules, such as ATP, to specific substrates'
Ah yes, that's the badger. I definitely need to redo FHD soon.
Tonight is all about choices. Do I go clubbing with a load of couples? A CU-sponsored jazz and pudding evening in the SU? Or do I sit in my room, pounding whiskey and listening to the Smiths while I lament my eternal solitude?

Tonight is all about choices. Do I go clubbing with a load of couples? A CU-sponsored jazz and pudding evening in the SU? Or do I sit in my room, pounding whiskey and listening to the Smiths while I lament my eternal solitude?

The latter :yep:
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
The latter :yep:

:frown: I need to find someone more miserable that me.
i doubt that you need to know your dermatomes, myotomes and reflexes until you do neurological examination. even then it is only finals where you are expected to be make clinical findings on the examination so not something i would have bothered with at your stage.

upper limb

-radial nerve supplies the extensors e.g. triceps, wrist extensors.
radial 'saturday night' nerve palsy = wrist drop

-medial nerve supplies most of the rest of the muscles in the arm and those of the thumb.
medial nerve palsy - 'carpal tunnel syndrome'
(wastage of the thenar muscle, weakened thumb abduction, positive phanlen's + tinel's test)

-ulnar nerve supplies all the muscles to the finger.
ulnar nerve palsy - claw hand + small muscle wastage of the fingers

UCL is very big on clinical application and you must play the game. the brachial plexus is a waste of time. similarly learning every muscle is as well, as for making models, dont get me started !

when i did second year people only failed on the meq and everyone work focused toward this. in this eaxm it tended to be a clinical case with questions relating to it. in my second year, for example, i had to explain browns sequards syndrome - which is hard. if you dont know what this is you have lost 5%. learn your basic neurology - differentiating between UMN / LMN - bound to be asked. endocrine is also very big on clinical application. acromegaly/addisons/cushings/hypothyroid/hyperthyroid/hyperparathyroid etc.

play the game and work smart. good luck children x
Original post by Revenged
old man rant

Dear God man - resurrected from the dead!!

What are you now - finalist? F1?

Latest