The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Revenged
i doubt that you need to know your dermatomes, myotomes and reflexes until you do neurological examination. even then it is only finals where you are expected to be make clinical findings on the examination so not something i would have bothered with at your stage.

upper limb

-radial nerve supplies the extensors e.g. triceps, wrist extensors.
radial 'saturday night' nerve palsy = wrist drop

-medial nerve supplies most of the rest of the muscles in the arm and those of the thumb.
medial nerve palsy - 'carpal tunnel syndrome'
(wastage of the thenar muscle, weakened thumb abduction, positive phanlen's + tinel's test)

-ulnar nerve supplies all the muscles to the finger.
ulnar nerve palsy - claw hand + small muscle wastage of the fingers

UCL is very big on clinical application and you must play the game. the brachial plexus is a waste of time. similarly learning every muscle is as well, as for making models, dont get me started !

when i did second year people only failed on the meq and everyone work focused toward this. in this eaxm it tended to be a clinical case with questions relating to it. in my second year, for example, i had to explain browns sequards syndrome - which is hard. if you dont know what this is you have lost 5%. learn your basic neurology - differentiating between UMN / LMN - bound to be asked. endocrine is also very big on clinical application. acromegaly/addisons/cushings/hypothyroid/hyperthyroid/hyperparathyroid etc.

play the game and work smart. good luck children x

Jumping through hoops indeed. I'm just hoping I don't miss again.
Original post by Jessaay!
Jumping through hoops indeed. I'm just hoping I don't miss again.

Yeah don't Jess!! I lost two of my friends in second year to double failing :frown:
final year. the only thing that got me to pass the second year meq was my A in 'communication skills' as i prepared for it. it was the only A in the exam. haha. legendary !

for clinical exams there is a huge part on history taking, communication skills, ethics and law. to ensure you pass spread yourself thin and cover all bases. good things to work at if you are not the brightest of the bunch as these can pull you though ^ !

the exams are a nightmare. i am afraid that everyone fails something at some stage. you just have to keep at it and keep practicing. it is very hard and if you have some good contacts in the years above and work hard you should get by, you dont have to be greatly intelligent, just not the worst!

lots of changes are going to happen here and in medicine in general so keep on track.
Original post by Philosoraptor
Yeah don't Jess!! I lost two of my friends in second year to double failing :frown:

Not very comforting :p: but hopefully I won't. I'm in a much better position to actually learn something this year and I'm still a bit rusty in parts but I know one of my biggest errors was not doing enough past papers and it was proven today that all you need to do is know the **** and regurgitate the **** :p:
Just found out that I was 0.5 marks off being in A quartile for my OSCE :hmpf:
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx

Ooh. Bad luck. :console:
Original post by Revenged
final year. the only thing that got me to pass the second year meq was my A in 'communication skills' as i prepared for it. it was the only A in the exam. haha. legendary !

for clinical exams there is a huge part on history taking, communication skills, ethics and law. to ensure you pass spread yourself thin and cover all bases. good things to work at if you are not the brightest of the bunch as these can pull you though ^ !

the exams are a nightmare. i am afraid that everyone fails something at some stage. you just have to keep at it and keep practicing. it is very hard and if you have some good contacts in the years above and work hard you should get by, you dont have to be greatly intelligent, just not the worst!

lots of changes are going to happen here and in medicine in general so keep on track.

I haven't yet - I guess 4th year will have its surprises for me :frown:
Original post by Philosoraptor
Hey how's it going dude!
Where've you been - is it because you've been busy being a gunner? :p:

Just taking a sabbatical from TSR at the minute, needed a break :smile:
Reply 1108
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx

I was gonna say it's the score that matters rather than the letter when it comes to ranking, but given it doesn't count anyway, that's kind of irrelevant :tongue:
Original post by Hygeia

Original post by Hygeia
I was gonna say it's the score that matters rather than the letter when it comes to ranking, but given it doesn't count anyway, that's kind of irrelevant :tongue:

I know, but the fact that I was so close makes it annoying :p:
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Tonight is all about choices. Do I go clubbing with a load of couples? A CU-sponsored jazz and pudding evening in the SU? Or do I sit in my room, pounding whiskey and listening to the Smiths while I lament my eternal solitude?

Could be worse, you could be spending your Valentine's day alone in the flat with a carton of orange juice and some past papers whilst both your flatmates go to celebrate with their other halves :p:

I'd go to the jazz evening in the SU. That sounds lovely.
Could be worse, you could be spending your Valentine's day alone in the flat with a carton of orange juice and some past papers whilst both your flatmates go to celebrate with their other halves :p:

I'd go to the jazz evening in the SU. That sounds lovely.

Last time I got coaxed into a jazz evening, it was unrehearsed crap. And this time there are CU pamphlets everywhere. Imma spend Valentine's day alone.
Reply 1112
Last time I got coaxed into a jazz evening, it was unrehearsed crap. And this time there are CU pamphlets everywhere. Imma spend Valentine's day alone.

Better that than stood up :colonhash:

Well it is events week at loads of unis...and I'm spending it alone revising too :smile:
Had a lecture on healthcare economics today. Appears to be all about reading cost [insert arbitrary word here] analysis reports. Some are better than others but as their names bear no resemblence at all to what has to be done to construct them it's about as confusing to me as the mad-max-map kinase pathway. :bawling:

And I spent my valentines wondering/fretting if mr's uncle had died and that's why he hadn't at least text me all day. Turns out he thought valentine's was friday.
Do I go rock climbing tomorrow with University of London mountaineering soc, or do I go to for drinkies with first years?

Decisions...

Edit: also, my flatmate's on the phone to his girlfriend and I have a feeling they're breaking up. Bad times. At least my valetine's day didn't involve a break up.
(edited 13 years ago)
Do I go rock climbing tomorrow with University of London mountaineering soc, or do I go to for drinkies with first years?

Decisions...

Edit: also, my flatmate's on the phone to his girlfriend and I have a feeling they're breaking up. Bad times. At least my valetine's day didn't involve a break up.

I diddn't know there was a mountaineering soc.

In other news, flat din dins with mohitos. Awesome.
Anyone know of any good pre clinical question sites other than one examination? Preferably on neuroscience.

Decisions...

Erm, no contest. Since when have you been one to turn down an opportunity to drink anyway! :tongue:
Original post by Onychophagia
Erm, no contest. Since when have you been one to turn down an opportunity to drink anyway! :tongue:

This is true. :p: I was trying to save my liver and do some exercise considering I have a race next weekend, aand also considering I'm going to St George's for sportsnight tomorrow, going out on friday and next week I'm celebrating the second year intermodular week so probably going out on Monday, tuesday, wednesday and then I'm invading the Imperial medics' Circle line pub crawl on Thursday... Not to mention social tour soon.

Oh well. the gym is overrated. So are livers. So is actually being good at a sport/academia. Drinkies it is :p:

On another note, putting embryology on the first page was a cruel joke. My entire table groaned when they opened the paper.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending