The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Alcoholics in the making. :dance:
Original post by win2kpro
Alcoholics in the making. :dance:

Corrected.

I'm at your union on Friday. How are drinks prices? Trying to set at least a vague budget here.
(edited 13 years ago)
Lovely romantic weekend followed by romantic dinner last night, happiest I've been in a long while.

Then we get back from dinner, I feel ill, throw up, ruin that good feeling. Gah.
Original post by Mushi_master
Lovely romantic weekend followed by romantic dinner last night, happiest I've been in a long while.

Then we get back from dinner, I feel ill, throw up, ruin that good feeling. Gah.

*like* for sympathy haha
Original post by Philosoraptor
*like* for sympathy haha

Haha, just moody now I'm back in London and trying to do my SSC.
Original post by Mushi_master
Haha, just moody now I'm back in London and trying to do my SSC.

I'll trade you your SSC to do my project ahah
Original post by Philosoraptor
I'll trade you your SSC to do my project ahah

I think I'll pass, can't think of much worse than doing a systematic review!
Does anyone else find it surreal that you can see pts with different things, some of them not good, and just walk away from it all?
The NHS is failing to treat elderly patients in England with care, dignity and respect, an official report says.

The Health Service Ombudsman came to the conclusion after carrying out an in-depth review of 10 cases.
Original post by Wangers
The NHS is failing to treat elderly patients in England with care, dignity and respect, an official report says.

The Health Service Ombudsman came to the conclusion after carrying out an in-depth review of 10 cases.

Do you think it's not true though?
Reply 1130
Original post by Jessaay!
This is true. :p: I was trying to save my liver and do some exercise considering I have a race next weekend, aand also considering I'm going to St George's for sportsnight tomorrow, going out on friday and next week I'm celebrating the second year intermodular week so probably going out on Monday, tuesday, wednesday and then I'm invading the Imperial medics' Circle line pub crawl on Thursday... Not to mention social tour soon.

Oh well. the gym is overrated. So are livers. So is actually being good at a sport/academia. Drinkies it is :p:

On another note, putting embryology on the first page was a cruel joke. My entire table groaned when they opened the paper.

you dont want to be in the george's bar on wednesday.. no, really.. :ahhhhh:
Original post by Wangers

Original post by Wangers

From my experience some of the personal care that elderly people get is pretty poor :frown: there just aren't enough people to provide the high level of care required when someone has poor mobility/is confused etc

Thought I agree 10 cases isn't a huge number.
Original post by randdom
From my experience some of the personal care that elderly people get is pretty poor :frown: there just aren't enough people to provide the high level of care required when someone has poor mobility/is confused etc

Thought I agree 10 cases isn't a huge number.

Having been an HCA on an elderly ward for a year, I have to agree with you. Nurses will always complain of understaffing but the problem is certainly worse on CotE, having been on other wards with consistently better staffing rates with much more inependant patients. We were always massively overstretched compared with my work in other departments, and at the end of the day it's the patients who are suffering.

On another note, putting embryology on the first page was a cruel joke. My entire table groaned when they opened the paper.

It didn't come up on my paper and I revised it *sulks*
Original post by Helenia
Do you think it's not true though?

You wouldn't accept a new treatment with a sample size of 10 - Well, unless you're Barry Marshall re H Pylori. I guess the point is its like saying - suppose there are 10 corrupt police officers in the Met, it dosn't mean you punish the whole lot. Yes, mistreatment or neglect is not acceptable, but to splash a widespread condemnation of the whole NHS dosn't respect or do justice to the on the whole brilliant care that the NHS does offer. But no, telling people that patients are well cared for wouldn't sell red tops.

Treatment like that is an utter disgrace, I'm not denying that but frankly, its nonsensical to create hysteria. All that will happen is that some ivory tower nutjob will design another 'care package' or 'pathway' to 'solve' this problem. Some other sort of addmittance booklet type thing that magically makes things better. I suspect that if this does happen - and my cynicism instinct says yes - it will only make the problem worse.

All this is actually saying is that COOP wards are generally full of patients who are doubley incontinant, possibly bed bound, possibly need feeding, and probably confused. All this leads to the need for closer care, possibly one-to-one specialing. All of this is usually done by HCAs, why? Because RNs are busy doing paperwork. Its not that they don't try (on the whole, and before nurses kick this off into another flamewar, some people in all professions are useless). This invariably means that you need more staff. There is no need for the Patient Association or the Ombudsman to tell you that - any HCA on a COOP ward could have cold you that. I wonder how much this 'research' cost.

It really drives me up the wall how much the Keep It Simple Stupid rule applies...But no, we'll have another national outrage lasting all of 48 hours until some other celebrity becomes pregnant. Keep things in perspective people.
OH MY GOD I HAVE SUCH AN AWFUL HANGOVER. My foot is also bleeding insane amounts. Bad times.

Original post by malaz_197
you dont want to be in the george's bar on wednesday.. no, really.. :ahhhhh:

I've probably seen worse/similar don't worry :p: I'm used to being part of particularly harsh circles with people vomming in bags etc. It's your rag thing right? I'll be with the entire boat club so I shall not be alone.
Just made myself lol. I really am too easily amused. :facepalm2: :musicus:

To the tune of Blondie's Maria.

Hygeiaaaa
You've gotta see her
Go insane and out of your mind
Latina
'Ave a Hygeia
A million and one candlelight's
Reply 1138
Hahaha, not really medical, but I thought it was appropriate to post this here (NSFW - Language)

Are you doing united hospitals head on 26th?

Latest

Trending

Trending