The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Firmers 2011!

I think it is almost the time of year when people start confirming their choices, and as there is yet to be a Firmers thread for 2011, I thought I would start one!

Pretty much same info as the applicants thread...

Name: Alex

Course: Economics

Offer: Unconditional (AAB)

Favourite Accommodation: James College

Any other info: Super excited about going, just don't really know what accommodation will be best!

List of Firmers:
LostHorizons
alexmagpie
AlexAntiHeroine
roooobyn.
CJacob
Strawbs104
Apoc696
iBigDaddy
Deema
Vamp1reWeekend
Quadratic
LouiseChapman
magicalelf
Helen H
Alex2791
hannah9000
ollypocket
alwatkins1991
(Online)
LollipopRoses
rachstarr
ilickbatteries
coldbeercoldheart
JXamie
hereinyourarms
runby
bigfootchris2
caitlin.x
Mrav
Ramin Gorji
SaraDeutsch
h.marie-xo
Mfreeman.
Basmati
Wedgely
rhowell
Vekeh
cavedv
edd_ftw
Laura823
sia_st
greenfpa.04
The_fantastic_D
Ellziii
LaidBaqq
agnezmo
pinklemonade-xo
+ +
EmperorOfAndromeda
j.b.w
smconnelly
Matildachen
custard slices eve
lilyalicelouise
ghostkillah
kiai8
xsinfinity
Zagreus_92
mwnciau
rhowell
idiotheque
EverLearningFool
forgotten47
winter_fairy
Drewzee
gtfo
Laura-alice26
pandoram
amyrb
lexisisis
whatareyoucrazy
callmeanapple
doleful
stargirll
vickidougal
SAAAM
Flyingmarshmallows

(Page 49)
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alwatkins1991
I think it is almost the time of year when people start confirming their choices, and as there is yet to be a Firmers thread for 2011, I thought I would start one!

Pretty much same info as the applicants thread...

Name: Alex

Course: Economics

Offer: Unconditional (AAB)

Favourite Accommodation: James College

Any other info: Super excited about going, just don't really know what accommodation will be best!

Hey same Ive also go an offer for bsc economics aab but i need to go to an open day and see what its like. Did you go?If so what were your views about how the course was presented, campus etc.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by Ramin Gorji
Hey same Ive also go an offer for bsc economics aab but i need to go to an open day and see what its like. Did you go?If so what were your views about how the course was presented, campus etc.

I went to an open day last year, and it was pretty good. The course seems interesting, although the head of economics or whoever the main guy speaking was had quite a monotonous voice, but I'm not going to change course just because of that! The campus is very 1960's but tbh it does not bother me one bit. I like the fact the campus is small, but it is still convenient to get into York city centre, so I think it is perfect for me really :smile:
Original post by alwatkins1991
I went to an open day last year, and it was pretty good. The course seems interesting, although the head of economics or whoever the main guy speaking was had quite a monotonous voice, but I'm not going to change course just because of that! The campus is very 1960's but tbh it does not bother me one bit. I like the fact the campus is small, but it is still convenient to get into York city centre, so I think it is perfect for me really :smile:

Yeah its 1960s looking but they are expanding and refurbishing some parts of the campus. Hope i get the grades though the only subject im worrying about is Biology i need a b in it.
Reply 4
Original post by Ramin Gorji
Yeah its 1960s looking but they are expanding and refurbishing some parts of the campus. Hope i get the grades though the only subject im worrying about is Biology i need a b in it.

Yeah that is pretty good then, though I doubt it will affect us that much, but I do know that they are changing the whole module system but I am not fussed, I will be just going with the flow!

That is why it is so good having my unconditional offer, I already have the grades so no worries for me! I got my B in physics, was such a mission, got a C in the A2 modules, thank f*ck the AS ones dragged me up!
Course: English

Offer: Unconditional (applied last year and deferred entry)

Favourite Accommodation: I'm not sure yet :ninja:

Any other info: I'm so so so incredibly excited :biggrin:
Haven't firmed yet, but I will when I hear back from my last choice!

Name: Alex, natch.

Course: Psychology

Offer: Conditional (AAB)

Favourite Accommodation: Derwent College (but I change my mind every two days or so!)

Any other info: Really excited, it's my dream course :smile:
I'm probably going to firm York, so yeah! The only way I wouldn't is if I visit Lancaster and it's unexpectedly the Best Place Ever.

Name: Alex or Ali. I prefer Ali, really. Plus I'm the third Alex that's posted on this thread (on the first page!) and I like to be different. :biggrin:

Course: English Language and Linguistics

Offer: Conditional (AAB) :s-smilie:

Favourite Accommodation: Dunno! Something nice and new, preferably.

Any other info: Visiting on the 2nd of March. EXCITING. :biggrin:
this makes me feel old :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by LostHorizons

Course: English

Offer: Unconditional (applied last year and deferred entry)

Favourite Accommodation: I'm not sure yet :ninja:

Any other info: I'm so so so incredibly excited :biggrin:

You know you want to be in Goodricke :p:
Original post by JoshC
You know you want to be in Goodricke :p:

I would be tempted if it wasn't on Hes East :tongue:

What's it actually like living there at the moment? Does it feel like a building site? What's actually there other than the accommodation blocks?
Reply 11
Robyn

Sociology

Conditional Offer

James college! Halifax and Alcuin look cool but a bit detached from the main campus?
Reply 12

Same! It seems really detached from the main campus :confused:
I think I'd rather have slightly nicer accommodation and be further away from everything else.

Although I'll probably end up getting a bike anyway so it wouldn't take ages to get to places.
Reply 14

What's it actually like living there at the moment? Does it feel like a building site? What's actually there other than the accommodation blocks?

ahah nahh i know what you mean. Its good for me since my course is based here. Its actually got a lot of people on this side of campus now. 3 departments, the catalyst (which i dont think is open yet but will be soon) and the Ron Cooke Hub, which has seminar rooms, computers and a lecture theatre. Nothings being built at the minute apart from the green area near the car park, but i think Langwith are moving over and the sports centre will be here too. I dont think you'd find it too bad living on this side of campus because youre doing english, so will be going to main campus all the time. if anything, id feel more secluded :p:
Reply 15
Hi guys York is my firm choice too:smile: and I'm going to study economics:biggrin:

Name: Jakub ( in English: Jacob)

Course: economics

Offer: overall 75% in matura exam including 3 subject on extended level

Favourite Accommodation: I haven't chose yet.

Any other info: I'm really excited:smile:. I haven't been to York yet, but probably I'll come there on open day 16th March or sooner.:smile:
Reply 16
Name: Amy

Course: English Literature

Offer: Unconditional (AAA)

Favourite Accommodation: James College... or Derwent... or Vanbrugh... I just can't choose!

Any other info: Haven't firmed yet, but 98% sure I will once I've checked out my other choices. So so excited, eight months can't go fast enough!
Original post by strawbs104
Name: Amy

Course: English Literature

Offer: Unconditional (AAA)

Favourite Accommodation: James College... or Derwent... or Vanbrugh... I just can't choose!

Any other info: Haven't firmed yet, but 98% sure I will once I've checked out my other choices. So so excited, eight months can't go fast enough!

Huzzah, English :biggrin:
Reply 18
Name: Tom

Course: Philosophy/Politics

Favourite Accommodation: I've looked at Derwent online but that's about it, thought I can remember being unimpressed by some of the older accomadation on the open day.

Any other info: I've already stocked up on booz for Freshers'?? :tongue:

And I'm going to the open day on the 14th or 15th (?) of February. :smile:
Reply 19
Name: Erik

Course: Economics & Finance :redface:

Favourite Accommodation: Alcuin is looking good to me. I am an outside kinda guy who likes to party. Any suggestions would be appreciated in this respect. Matter of fact im thinking of renting out a flat if the residences aren't of my taste.

Any other info: Dont know what to think really :confused: . ppl seem super excited about york. I got my rejection from LSE and I am now facing York, which is good i suppose.:colondollar:

does anybody know wether there is a pool on the campus?

looking forward to meeting new ppl in York, peace :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply