The Student Room Group

AS level Edexcel chemistry assessed practical marks

Hi,

Does any1 know how many of the (12-14) marks u can gt in a single AS level Edexcel chemistry assessed practical are for 'doing the practical correctly.'
Reply 1
There are 3 practicals, part B,C and D. B is observation usually done with identification of organic compounds. The other two are usually titrations or converting an alcohol to an aldehyde/ketone/carboxylic acid.

I believe part B and one other part is out of 14 and one is out of 12.

The marks are out of 40 and get converted to UMS out of 60. Last year, I did them all wrong and managed to get 7/14; 12/14 and 9/12 = 28/40 raw marks = 36/60UMS (C). This year i'm retaking all of them and have already retook the 7/12 one and have got 14/14 which means I've got an overall A for AS.

Doing the practical correctly is worth 4/14 in the titration, and a significant amount in the organic practicals as the answer to the questions result from findings from the practicals rather than reults you collect. So if you mess up everything in every practical but answer questions correctly relating to the results obtained which are marked on your results rather than what should happen, you'd probably get 10-15/40.
Reply 2
i did the making salt (nickel sulphate) experiment and although i saw all the correct observations, but my yield was very low as i kept adding too little nickel sulphate (this is all i did wrong in the actual practical) which meant that i did not have enough time to filter out all of the water if i was to finish the practical in the time provided so i allowed as much as i could to filter through and then evaporated the water from that, but since i had not filtered out all the water in the first place the amount of crystals i was left with in the end was quite low.

If my yield was much lower than the rest of the people in the class would i be dropped practical marks becos that is the only evidence showing that i did the practical wrong in which i did the practical incorrectly and also do u know about how many of the marks available for this practical test will be for doing the practical?? - becos i know i gt all the questions on observations i'd seen in the practical correct as well as the 2 calculation questions we had to do
My yield was 35% - will I get 1/2, 2/2 or 0 of the two avaibale marks
what would you say?
Original post by jsmith6131
what would you say?

Hey I saw you had done your chemistry practical was it preparing the single salt one?

we have this next week and am really freaking out over it...

If you can help me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Original post by jsmith6131
what would you say?

any help??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending