The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aaastar
Everything I read about QMUL says that going there makes it almost impossible to get a training contract though and somewhere like Sheffield would be better for that. Very confused.

It's top 5 in the Times Good University Guide for law?! I can't believe getting a training contract there is hard...I mean sheffield has the advantage of being in the same city as Irwin Mitchell, and they do a LOT of grad recruitment from there, but I can't believe it carries the same prestige everywhere.
Original post by Vinchenko
Fitz at Cam, Chad's at Durham. Almost sad I'm not going to Chad's now, I ADORE it! But obviously I'd regret it forever if I didn't at least try and go for Cam! Much prefer Durham to UCL, even though the teaching's probably not as good, employment prospects are at least as good, living is cheaper and nicer, nice collegiate atmosphere....

Nice, I'll be at Magdalene :smile: There're a literal tonne of Cambridge lawyers loitering on this site; probably multiple... Fitzians... if you haven't yet found them :smile:
Yeah, definitely go for Durham (Y)
It's top 5 in the Times Good University Guide for law?! I can't believe getting a training contract there is hard...I mean sheffield has the advantage of being in the same city as Irwin Mitchell, and they do a LOT of grad recruitment from there, but I can't believe it carries the same prestige everywhere.

League tables talk absolute crap by the way. I'll leave it to others to substantiate this argument (or I'll leave it unsubstantiated) as I have work to do, but yeah... QM is certainly not a top 5 law school.

Nothing against it; it's very respectable, just not top 5.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Nice, I'll be at Magdalene :smile: There're a literal tonne of Cambridge lawyers loitering on this site; probably multiple... Fitzians... if you haven't yet found them :smile:
Yeah, definitely go for Durham (Y)

Yes we previously had this conversation :smile: I shall see you there! Yes, I don't quite know what the term for us is...you'd be a magdalen-er I'd think?! I'm assuming the novelty of correcting people on pronounciation's not worn off yet? :tongue: I nearly applied to Caius, took rather a while to get my family saying that one correctly...! Where will you be insuring, assuming you're firming cam!!
Reply 2944
Original post by lfcwatcher
UCL seem to be dishing out the rejections pretty badly, can i ask anyone who has posted already when did you all send in your applications, how are UCL going through this because i am scared as hell right now :s-smilie:

I got an offer last week and I sent my application off on the 12th October and sat my LNAT on the 6th October. I think maybe they are going in chronological order...
Reply 2945
Original post by LondonTownGirl
er i can't see it.

Predicted A*A*A*A*aaa* (doing 4A2 subjects, another 2 AS subjects and an EPQ)
Didn't do GCSEs cos I'm an international student.
Application sent on 12 Oct. LNAT: 23/42

Original post by yilyn
Sorry to hear that. You heard from them today?

Yup, around 3:30 pm. Good luck!
Original post by pick92
I got an offer last week and I sent my application off on the 12th October and sat my LNAT on the 6th October. I think maybe they are going in chronological order...

*shakes head* applied 8th October and sat LNAT on the 12th....
Yes we previously had this conversation :smile: I shall see you there! Yes, I don't quite know what the term for us is...you'd be a magdalen-er I'd think?! I'm assuming the novelty of correcting people on pronounciation's not worn off yet? :tongue: I nearly applied to Caius, took rather a while to get my family saying that one correctly...! Where will you be insuring, assuming you're firming cam!!

Dammit, I'm sorry :colondollar: As I say, there're a tonne of us, and I lose track :colondollar:
Magdalenite :colonhash: (I think), and no it hasn't worn off :tongue:

No, it's pronounced Maudlin.
But it says Magdalene!
Shh, uneducated fool! Maudlin :tongue:

And yeah, I'll be firming, and I have no insurance :tongue: I only applied to Cambridge, UCL and the LSE and have rejections from the latter two :tongue: (reasons respectively being LNAT and GCSEs, or for the former a mix of the two.)
Original post by tsevron
Predicted A*A*A*A*aaa* (doing 4A2 subjects, another 2 AS subjects and an EPQ)
Didn't do GCSEs cos I'm an international student.
Application sent on 12 Oct. LNAT: 23/42

Are you me!? Same letters and quantity of letters for predictions, same LNAT score, UCL rejection same day...

:colonhash:
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Dammit, I'm sorry :colondollar: As I say, there're a tonne of us, and I lose track :colondollar:
Magdalenite :colonhash: (I think), and no it hasn't worn off :tongue:

No, it's pronounced Maudlin.
But it says Magdalene!
Shh, uneducated fool! Maudlin :tongue:

And yeah, I'll be firming, and I have no insurance :tongue: I only applied to Cambridge, UCL and the LSE and have rejections from the latter two :tongue: (reasons respectively being LNAT and GCSEs, or for the former a mix of the two.)

Hehe it does sound rather fun! And meh wouldn't worry too much, Cambridge actually tend to be quite flexible especially if you only miss out by a few UMS, and, well, they have a much more rigorous selection system which is nice - they can see past anything if you're bright, personable and have potential! One of the reasons I liked it so much...for all the reputation, it's an incredibly meritocratic place.
Original post by Cast.Iron
Congratulations!

I told you that you would get an offer :biggrin:.

Aha thank you! I love how random TSR users have more faith than I do! :biggrin:
Right future law students! Serious help is needed:

Newcastle- unconditional
Leeds- Conditional: A

Which one to put as my firm...?!
Reply 2952
I'm still waiting on KCL, sent my application off on the 13th October. Some people have said they have received something that allows them to check on their application progress online?
I've received nothing from them, not even an acknowledgement!
Can people with KCL offers let me know what happened before their offer and their grades and lnat please?
And those still waiting can you let me know if youve heard anything :smile:
Thanks!!!!
Reply 2953
Nottingham conditional offer AAA, so worth the wait!
Reply 2954
OFFER FROM NOTTINGHAM , M100, AT LAST!!! AAA- DEFINITELY WORTH THE WAIT! I HAVE AN OFFER FROM QMUL,M100- AA. NOTTINGHAM v QMUL??? ANY HELP?
Reply 2955
Offer from Nottingham!!! Praise the Lord on high. AAB as well! Law with French.
Putting it as my insurance after Bham!!!
Offer from Nottingham.. 5 offers now :smile:

UCAS sent: 19th Nov 2010

Course: Law
University: Birmingham
Conditional Offer: AAA
Offer received: 6 December

University: Manchester
Offer received: 6 December

University: Kent
Conditional Offer: AAB
Offer received: 10 December

University: Warwick
Offer received: 5 February

University: Nottingham
Offer received: 15 February
Reply 2957
There seems to be a spate of Nottingham offers come through recently! Congrats to all with offers :smile:

I hope that Warwick is next! I'm tempted to email them to ask them if there's been any progress with my application - they received it 4 months ago today! I rang them a couple of weeks ago though and got a moody lady on the other end of the phone who snapped at me for ringing and told me to keep checking track :/

How helpful.
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Add me on Skype, bitch!

Angry Charles. As I said, I don't really use Skype. I'll add you next time I'm on.
Original post by LondonTownGirl
Really? honestly didn't think they looked into GCSEs but i think yours are still better than the majority of people. oh gosh my LNAT essay was probably a mess too, im not too good t writing essays on a pc. err if that's not too much trouble that would be really nice of you :smile:

Not better than the majority of UCL people :tongue:
Anyway, I've emailed. I'll let you know if I get a response :smile:

Latest