The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3740
Original post by Dan1607
People predicting the score line are *******s tbf.

Care to substantiate?
It doesn't matter if you predict a score, there may not even be one. I got Dan's back.
Reply 3742
Original post by Colonel.
It doesn't matter if you predict a score, there may not even be one. I got Dan's back.

I still don't see how that makes us all ********s. It's not wrong or negative or offensive to predict a score, surely? After all, nobody's saying that so-and-so is definitely going to be the score or anything along those lines (and I don't see how it would be a huge issue even if someone did).
Reply 3743
Original post by Abiraleft
Care to substantiate?

lol, im just annoyed at people trying to predict the score line, esp people who are saying Arsenal are gona loose 3-0 and comments like 'we will prob get a draw' ect. IMO, the gamblers can gtfo, true Arsenal fans want Arsenal to win and thats that. Theres too much crap about games before they have even taken place.
Reply 3744
JK.
OP
Original post by Dan1607
lol, im just annoyed at people trying to predict the score line, esp people who are saying Arsenal are gona loose 3-0 and comments like 'we will prob get a draw' ect. IMO, the gamblers can gtfo, true Arsenal fans want Arsenal to win and thats that. Theres too much crap about games before they have even taken place.

What's wrong with talking about the possibility of getting a draw/losing? Just because you support a team it doesn't mean you have to believe results, sometimes unrealistic results, are going to happen, there's no point lying to yourself. Personally, I'll be proud if we go out there tonight and our players give it their all for 90mins, regardless of the result.
Reply 3745
Original post by wiggles
Ha, woops, seemed I made a blunder yesterday. Of course Barca didn't sell Cesc, we got him on a free. (Many hours without sleep the night before) But my point still stands, if they wanted him so badly they could have managed to keep him. I think Wenger made a great point in an interview today where he reiterated how perfectly legal his signing of Cesc was, and pointed out that while Barca have all of Catalonia to pick players from, Arsenal have London - where there's also 4 other big teams competing to sign its players. Plus, it's not like Barca never go anywhere else to 'fish' for players - Messi was 'caught' and dragged to Spain when he was 12 or something.

Anyway, am unbelievably excited for tomorrow's match.... Still can't sleep. Last year was working and rushed home to view the Sky+ recording kindly set by the girlfriend's old man. Managed to avoid all news of the scoreline besides one wayward text from a friend I had forgotten to advise of the situation, who sent "Theooooo!!!", leaving me with the assurance that we'd score at least once, something I wouldn't have been too hopeful of after seeing the first 30 minutes!

It's only a great point if said person doesn't know the rules. Of course it's perfectly legal. The problem Barcelona have is the fact that they cannot do anything about it. In Spain professional contracts can only be signed if you are 18 years old, in England you can do it at 16. Therefore we have a clash here, i.e. what is legal in England is illegal in Spain. If Wenger wanted to do this with for example with an English player it would be harder. Arsenal can offer a contract to for example an Everton youth player, but Everton can always counter the offer from Arsenal by offering their own if they want to keep him. This doesn't mean he won't go to Arsenal but what it does mean is that Everton at least made a fight of it and the choice would be entirely personal. I think if it was legal in Spain to give contracts to 16 year olds then Cesc decision would be different, I may be wrong but the decision would be difficult to make for him.

You can tell your player all you want but if a young man like Cesc is looking at the fierce competition he has in front of him it is understandable that he would sign for Arsenal no matter what promises Barca may give him it means nothing when you have another contract from a big European club waiting for you. Cesc is a Barca fan, however like every other professional he is first and foremost a football player and career wise the Arsenal move was a too good of opportunity to give up for him. That isn't to say he wouldn't have a place at Barca, he most definitely would but this was his choice and he moved on. Simples
Reply 3746
It's just a shame Barca can't move on.
Original post by JK.
What's wrong with talking about the possibility of getting a draw/losing? Just because you support a team it doesn't mean you have to believe results, sometimes unrealistic results, are going to happen, there's no point lying to yourself. Personally, I'll be proud if we go out there tonight and our players give it their all for 90mins, regardless of the result.

I'm not expecting anything. When people go over the top and actually believe Arsenal have a brilliant chance of beating possibly the best side in recent history, it leads to knee-jerk reactions and stupid conclusions. I want Arsenal to win as much as anyone else but realistically, the chances are that Barca will win (or draw) the first leg and qualify. That doesn't mean Arsenal are no good -- I don't fancy Man Utd or anyone to be able to beat them.

Btw, are you going to the game?
Original post by Abiraleft
I still don't see how that makes us all ********s. It's not wrong or negative or offensive to predict a score, surely? After all, nobody's saying that so-and-so is definitely going to be the score or anything along those lines (and I don't see how it would be a huge issue even if someone did).

I was kidding :yy: Of course there's nothing wrong with predicting a score.
Reply 3749
JK.
OP
Original post by Overmars
I'm not expecting anything. When people go over the top and actually believe Arsenal have a brilliant chance of beating possibly the best side in recent history, it leads to knee-jerk reactions and stupid conclusions. I want Arsenal to win as much as anyone else but realistically, the chances are that Barca will win (or draw) the first leg and qualify. That doesn't mean Arsenal are no good -- I don't fancy Man Utd or anyone to be able to beat them.

Completely agreed. :yy:

Yeah, are you?
Reply 3750
Original post by R-KAM
It's just a shame Barca can't move on.

The Catalans are way too proud of their products. I myself don't give a damn about Cesc does, wants or wishes. He decided to move on and if he wants to come back then stop signing long contracts and hand in a transfer request. Basically man up. Otherwise I wouldn't pay any attention, I am far more excited about the progress of Thiago than the prodigal son returning home.
Reply 3751
Original post by JK.

Everyone wants their team to win. It doesn't matter whats likely and what isn't. Its not about lying to yourself because theres nothing to lie about. Yes Barcelona are the stronger team, thats a matter of fact but that does not change the other fact, that every true Arsenal fan want Arsenal to win.
Original post by JK.
Completely agreed. :yy:

Yeah, are you?

**** no, man. Frustrating thing is I was offered a ticket. I'm just ill atm and on "bed rest".

It'll probably be one of the best atmos' at the grove. Enjoy it :yy:
Reply 3753

I don't think anyone has said that Arsenal are favourties to beat Barcelona, all the talk has been about Arsenal being destroyed, tbh, i think thats just as naieve as saying Arsenal are favourties to win. There are two ways to look at the situation, 1) We face the best team in the world and are prob gona loose or 2) We face the best team in the world but there is enough chance to hope for a victory. You expect all outside football fans to take 1 but every Arsenal fan should take the second.
Original post by Dan1607
I don't think anyone has said that Arsenal are favourties to beat Barcelona, all the talk has been about Arsenal being destroyed, tbh, i think thats just as naieve as saying Arsenal are favourties to win. There are two ways to look at the situation, 1) We face the best team in the world and are prob gona loose or 2) We face the best team in the world but there is enough chance to hope for a victory. You expect all outside football fans to take 1 but every Arsenal fan should take the second.

Believe me, if I was at the ground, I'd be giving my full support. You're right, it's good to be optimistic and I do think we have a better chance than the bookies say. But I think it's also important that we're realistic and don't expect too much. Because it's very likely that we won't get the result we need and the last thing we want is for disappointment to affect our domestic form -- in which we have a fantastic chance to challenge for 3 trophies.
Reply 3755
JK.
OP
Original post by Dan1607
Everyone wants their team to win. It doesn't matter whats likely and what isn't. Its not about lying to yourself because theres nothing to lie about. Yes Barcelona are the stronger team, thats a matter of fact but that does not change the other fact, that every true Arsenal fan want Arsenal to win.

So fans can only bet if they think their team's going to win, because they should only bet on their club to win? I can see where you're coming from, but disagree.

**** no, man. Frustrating thing is I was offered a ticket. I'm just ill atm and on "bed rest".

It'll probably be one of the best atmos' at the grove. Enjoy it :yy:

Ah ****, sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll be well enough to go and see us in the next round, instead. :tongue:

Yeh, it should be, I didn't get a ticket last year but the United semi before that was one of the best atmos I can remember, hopefully we'll top that tonight.
anyone see that "tackle" by flamini last night ? :coma:
Original post by antonfigo
anyone see that "tackle" by flamini last night ? :coma:

That 50/50 challenge? The one that is part and parcel of the English game? The one that had no malice intended?

Yes, I did.

I think Fabregas would've been proud. He went a long way to redeeming himself with that assault. We should sign him and bring Gattuso here too. Wilshere and Ramsey have a lot to learn.
Original post by JK.
Ah ****, sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll be well enough to go and see us in the next round, instead. :tongue:

Cheers. :yy:
Reply 3759
Original post by JK.
So fans can only bet if they think their team's going to win, because they should only bet on their club to win? I can see where you're coming from, but disagree.

I think a fan shouldn't bet on any team he supports.

Latest