The Student Room Group

How has mental illness affected your life?

Scroll to see replies

Youre all idiots, don't take yourself so seriously.i used to have horrific ocd and never thought I would be normal but I am so screw you ocd. Trust me be strong ppl you can win.
Reply 321
I had undiagnosed depression for nearly 3 years til last May when I plucked up the courage to go to the Docs.
I'm now on medication and have been since May. I changed to Venlafaxine a few months back and I can honestly say life is now looking up. For the first time in 4 years I'm excited about the future, and I realise now Depression is an obstacle in life that yes, I may have to still face for a while, but now I'm more stable and on a good medication.
Also, I have offers from University, which would not have happened if I had not been to the Docs.

I'm so glad I went now, and I'm looking forward to hopefully going to Uni in September :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
A bit of positivity from my end: had a quite serious psychotic episode and had to take time off work. I summoned up the courage to tell the colleagues in my department that I have mental health issues and got lots of very supportive messages and was told to take all the time I need off from work. When my boss comes back from America, I'm going to ring her and see whether we can find a way of slowly reintegrating me back into work :smile:
Reply 323
Original post by ~Tasha~
I had undiagnosed depression for nearly 3 years til last May when I plucked up the courage to go to the Docs.
I'm now on medication and have been since May. I changed to Venlafaxine a few months back and I can honestly say life is now looking up. For the first time in 4 years I'm excited about the future, and I realise now Depression is an obstacle in life that yes, I may have to still face for a while, but now I'm more stable and on a good medication.
Also, I have offers from University, which would not have happened if I had not been to the Docs.

I'm so glad I went now, and I'm looking forward to hopefully going to Uni in September :smile:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
A bit of positivity from my end: had a quite serious psychotic episode and had to take time off work. I summoned up the courage to tell the colleagues in my department that I have mental health issues and got lots of very supportive messages and was told to take all the time I need off from work. When my boss comes back from America, I'm going to ring her and see whether we can find a way of slowly reintegrating me back into work :smile:

Congrats to both of you! It's so nice to see some good news, in place of everyone suffering and feeling like ****.
Original post by MilfsSonsFriend
Youre all idiots, don't take yourself so seriously.i used to have horrific ocd and never thought I would be normal but I am so screw you ocd. Trust me be strong ppl you can win.

Thanks for that. Everyone in this thread now all cured.

:colonhash:
Reply 325
Original post by laut_biru
Congrats to both of you! It's so nice to see some good news, in place of everyone suffering and feeling like ****.

Thankyou :colondollar:
It's been bloody hard though, but I guess in life people have to go through hard times to find the good times!
Reply 326
Original post by ~Tasha~
Thankyou :colondollar:
It's been bloody hard though, but I guess in life people have to go through hard times to find the good times!

You should be proud of yourself. It can be hard to face up to needing help especially for this sort of thing and you managed it. Not only that, but you seem to have really turned your life around.
Reply 327
Original post by laut_biru
You should be proud of yourself. It can be hard to face up to needing help especially for this sort of thing and you managed it. Not only that, but you seem to have really turned your life around.

:smile: Thankyou! :colondollar:
I'm just hoping it stays this way really!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Little_My
Thanks for that. Everyone in this thread now all cured.

:colonhash:

Surely the fact that I never thought I would be normal again and actually am fine now proves it was nothing to worry about.
Reply 329
Surely the fact that I never thought I would be normal again and actually am fine now proves it was nothing to worry about.

In your case. Which, whilst good for you, has no bearing on anyone else here, and as such is not in any way helpful, especially for people who really are struggling.

Sure thing. You'd think that someone with experience of something like that would be a little more sympathetic to those who are currently seeking help. Very rare that you can just beat something so deeply ingrained in your thought processes with sheer willpower.
(edited 13 years ago)
I finally went to my doctor just over a year and a half ago now as I thought i'd been suffering from social anxiety/depression. I'd noticed something wasn't quite right early in my teens when I'd find it extremely uncomfortable in school to be with anyone other than my best friend. For instance, in the morning before school my bus would get there much earlier than any of my 'friends' (more my best friend's friends). Anyway I was scared of being interpreted as this kind of loner so I'd actually go into the girls' changing rooms and hide in a cubicle to wait until the registration bell rang (unless others people came into the changing rooms then I'd usually have to leave for fear of being found).

Years pass and I don't really engage in any relationships (I'd like the attention of a boy liking me but as soon as they made any attempt of 'asking me out' then I'd try to put them off me). I'd try to think of excuses not to go out on the weekends cause I was preoccupied with what I'd have to wear etc. My friends were very different to me (confident, wore fashionable clothes, very attractive - they were very much the 'in' group) and I'd always feel like the odd one out.

In sixth form, things took a turn for the worse. I'd cry a lot. Nobody really noticed but I'd become severely shy. I'd hate to walk into the common room for fear of everybody looking at me (would NEVER do it on my own). People never approached me, even less so than before. I'd become detached from my best friend and I'd always feel non existent when walking around with that group of friends I'd briefly mentioned earlier. I would just basically 'gel' within the group but never say much at all. They'd talk about their nights out and I would just fade into the background and hope they wouldn't question me on one of my excuses. Eventually, they stopped asking me out. I was self harming by this time and when anyone mentioned anything about me not going out in an accusational way I'd get very upset.

However, throughout most of my years at the school i'd met a boy who was nice and we got on okay. I used to like him when I was around 13 and I was never quite sure of my true feelings for him throughout the whole of school (he'd liked many other girls, especially my best friend). In sixth form, I knew he liked me. I just didn't want a relationship at all. It was the last thing on my mind and because of that I just wasn't attracted to him (not sure if you'll understand that bit - even I don't fully). He became my best friend but when he'd start flirting with me, I'd go a bit 'cold' to try to make him get the message. I really liked him as a friend though and we got along ever so well so it was a tough job - I knew people were telling him, 'she's leading you on, move on'.

I realised I couldn't go to university the following year. It was just not an option. I knew I'd be terrified of all these new people but I had no clue what to do for the year (perhaps seeing a doctor was in the back of my mind). So you can imagine, I had no friends other than the one guy friend but he'd started university (though locally) and I was drifting away. I went on job seeker's allowance for virtually the whole year and began seeing someone about depression. I'd been doing some CBT and tried a few types of medication (none of which seemed to do anything at all, other than give me side effects) so I got off them.

My friend called me halfway through my 'gap' year. He said he'd gotten a girlfriend, and he'd chosen to tell me last. It took me by surprise though I didn't show it but as soon as the call ended I just burst into tears. I think it made me realise that I'd actually liked this boy for a long time, like some kind of wakeup call. I was fighting with myself whether to tell him (maybe I would ruin his relationship, I might change my mind, maybe I just felt a bit jealous?) but I did after a few weeks. Long story short, we got together.

That was exactly a year ago now, and we're still together. There have been many bumps along the way (due to me being ridiculously insecure) and it's been tough but he's helped me so much. He gives me the confidence to go out (i'd easily go for months without leaving the house other than for CBT and dole sign-ons). I'm at university (commuting) at the minute and am finding it great! Also have a job :smile: But I am so scared that if we finish, i'd go back to how I was before, to being a recluse basically. I only have him and it makes me nervous when he goes out with all his other friends that he'll find another girl who is much more likeable/laid-back.

I still feel very uncomfortable when walking down busy streets on my own (as though everyone is looking at me etc., most of you probably relate to this). I had one very tough moment a week or so ago when I went to my boyfriend's family party (knew from the start it would be a challenge). Before we even reached the store I said I couldn't do it, but we went inside and he introduced me to this longgg line of people he knew (all at once! we were late). It was all quite overwhelming and I quickly asked him where the toilets were (I basically locked myself in the toilet for 10-15 mins to cry). I went out and went to his table but just started crying again and quickly went outside the front door (felt like such an idiot!). He told me to calm down and we went back in. Felt like I ruined his night really, he didn't leave my side all the time.

Seems a bit like a life story to me so I'm not sure how well it relates to the thread title but I hope it goes to show that things can change for the better and even though some aspects may just be in our personalities, we're not destined for unhappiness and things don't have to be that way forever. I know my post was a lot of gloom but I didn't really mention any good points of the last 12 months (and there were many :smile:)
I don't know if I've ever been depressed - some of the stories told here are severe in comparison. I think I must've just went through a good few rough patches.

There's nothing that's elicited my depressive phases - they come and go really. But if I compare myself to the way I used to be, I can no longer relate to that person. Don't get me wrong, I have never really been happy; always feeling lonely and feeling isolated from people, not really knowing how to respond and getting bullied from every angle in primary and secondary. Sure, it lowered my confidence, but I was still full of energy, full of determination to prove people wrong.

I done myself justice. Got good grades etc; that is until I hit uni. I felt like an idiot compared to those people - the knowledge they possessed, the general intelligence. I always had to work for my grades and now I couldn't be bothered. Started not caring, receiving nags from every direction, people asking how things were going, giving them this pretentious act when I wasn't happy. Went clubbing with friends regularly, eating crap, not caring about my general appearance etc.

I failed the year, teeth & gums deterioating. It's **** and not reversible. Every day waking up feeling like a failure and lying through the back of my teeth. I used to have guilt marked across my face, but now I have a blank face. Getting good at lying and lying without feeling guilt.

I know you'll all think this is nothing compared to your problems, but it has affected me badly. Sometimes I don't feel anything, but I have random teary outbursts and keep thinking the what ifs, dwelling in the past. I'm so infatuated with this guy, have done for 5 years, but can't even bring myself to meet him in person because this obsession I possess with my teeth. Look at them at least 5 times a day, spent about £100 in useless products and about £400 going for useless private consultations.

I have gained confidence through work, but don't really go out with friends anymore. I cover my mouth and attempt to breathe through my nose even though I can only breathe through my mouth, just because of this paranoia I have for my teeth. My mum goes insane. I try and not associate myself with people who are successful, because in a way I resent them and cannot get "back on the game" as I once yearned - to have a good career, have a marriage, good talents, loving family.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by converselove
I'm sorry but the way I see 'social' would be people self harming in groups. It's a solitary thing therefore it isn't social. The methods aren't limited. There are hundreds of different ways to self harm. And I don't tell people about it because it is influenced by society. I tell certain people because I trust them and they care about me and they help.

There's a social aspect to self-harming. Fact..

Think of it like this - If, since before you were born, people were dealing with depression by going for a mile long jog instead. Imagine this was the norm, and noone knew of, or had ever 'self harmed' either physically, or mentally. Imagine that every time someone was going to self-harm in any way whatsoever - said self-harming was replaced with a mile long jog. Ever since before you were born. So now, when you feel depressed, would you self harm? No, because it'd never been done before and you had never heard of it and so would never even consider it. By that, we can deduce that self harming is in fact, a societal influence. For example, if you were aware that a family member had been 'hearing voices', you'd want to 'help' that person, by seeking medical attention, and in turn hope that these voices would soon stop. But in a completely different cultural setting, such as one in an African tribe (no racism intended - just an example), hearing voices would be seen as a positive thing. The person hearing the voices would be seen to have some kind of 'gift' and would looked up to, rather than looked down upon by his/her society.

That's what I mean by 'social', which I'm sure you already knew, but just wanted to be immature about it. But if you really did think that 'social' just means doing thing in groups, then I'd say depression is the least of your problems (in the society in which I assume you live - a western and first world one).
Original post by Unoriginal-

Think of it like this - If, since before you were born, people were dealing with depression by going for a mile long jog instead. Imagine this was the norm, and noone knew of, or had ever 'self harmed' either physically, or mentally. Imagine that every time someone was going to self-harm in any way whatsoever - said self-harming was replaced with a mile long jog. Ever since before you were born. So now, when you feel depressed, would you self harm? No, because it'd never been done before and you had never heard of it and so would never even consider it. By that, we can deduce that self harming is in fact, a societal influence. For example, if you were aware that a family member had been 'hearing voices', you'd want to 'help' that person, by seeking medical attention, and in turn hope that these voices would soon stop. But in a completely different cultural setting, such as one in an African tribe (no racism intended - just an example), hearing voices would be seen as a positive thing. The person hearing the voices would be seen to have some kind of 'gift' and would looked up to, rather than looked down upon by his/her society.

That's what I mean by 'social', which I'm sure you already knew, but just wanted to be immature about it. But if you really did think that 'social' just means doing thing in groups, then I'd say depression is the least of your problems (in the society in which I assume you live - a western and first world one).

People don't self harm because that's how others deal with it. Do you really think that people think, 'Oh I have depression. What to do? Oh I know, I'll self harm because that's what everyone else does.' People self harm because they feel release from doing it. They feel it's easier to focus on the physical pain of self harming compared to whatever thoughts they have in their minds. Not everyone with depression self harms. Cultural differences have nothing to do with self harming. Yes it does with the approach to those hearing voices, but that is irrelevant to the reasons for self harm.
Original post by Unoriginal-

Original post by Anonymous
People don't self harm because that's how others deal with it. Do you really think that people think, 'Oh I have depression. What to do? Oh I know, I'll self harm because that's what everyone else does.' People self harm because they feel release from doing it. They feel it's easier to focus on the physical pain of self harming compared to whatever thoughts they have in their minds. Not everyone with depression self harms. Cultural differences have nothing to do with self harming. Yes it does with the approach to those hearing voices, but that is irrelevant to the reasons for self harm.

To a certain extent, I agree with both of your arguments. Obviously people feel that there's a release from harming themselves and that is how they cope with their stability/their impacted life.

However, I think culture has some sort of influence, even if people are not aware of it. It's kind of like alcoholism - people abuse alcohol as a way of releasing their anxienties or they're generally depressed and becomes a vicious circle. The same applies to smoking and drugs.

The main point I think that this guy is trying to make is that people are surrounded by the knowledge that people do self harm and they find this is a way of dealing with their stresses or are in crappy situations. This could lead people into the way of thinking that self harming is a way of dealing with their problems.

You hear about depression a lot more in today's society than you have probably in later years. I don't know whether it is because people kept things hidden behind closed doors and this has always been the case, but there's definitely an increase in self harming - even some of my friends have done this, so maybe this is subconciously affecting the thoughts that people have with dealing with feelings too hard to deal with. Interesting topic.
(edited 13 years ago)
hmm i think that i suffer from depression and anxiety i havent been to the dr to get diagnosed but i do something distructive to try and cope... frankly im afraid to go to the dr and them confirming that im going crazy
Original post by DanielleT192
To a certain extent, I agree with both of your arguments. Obviously people feel that there's a release from harming themselves and that is how they cope with their stability/their impacted life.

However, I think culture has some sort of influence, even if people are not aware of it. It's kind of like alcoholism - people abuse alcohol as a way of releasing their anxienties or they're generally depressed and becomes a vicious circle. The same applies to smoking and drugs.

The main point I think that this guy is trying to make is that people are surrounded by the knowledge that people do self harm and they find this is a way of dealing with their stresses or are in crappy situations. This could lead people into the way of thinking that self harming is a way of dealing with their problems.

You hear about depression a lot more in today's society than you have probably in later years. I don't know whether it is because people kept things hidden behind closed doors and this has always been the case, but there's definitely an increase in self harming - even some of my friends have done this, so maybe this is subconciously affecting the thoughts that people have with dealing with feelings too hard to deal with. Interesting topic.

I do understand where you're coming from, as self harm has been adopted by various groups in recent times. The point I'm trying to make is that with alcohol, drugs and smoking there is a definite element of social influence in it. Most people start these things with others and this then can develop into negative behaviour for whatever reason. But with self harm, it's something a lot of people don't share with others. Whereas alcohol, drugs and smoking are promoted by many, self harm is looked down on by most in our society. If it is a behaviour looked down on, it's less likely that people will do it because of cultural influence; I know I've grown up with people saying self harm is stupid, ridiculous, attention seeking etc. That's not something people would wish to be classed as by others. Yes we know that others self harm, but this is rarely portrayed in a positive light and so it's not logical that it would be replicated, unless someone was desperate for help or release.

I think it is an interesting topic, and I'm not really arguing that there is no social influence whatsoever but I feel that Unoriginal- made his point rather insensitively in his first post. He said it's not a mental illness (which it isn't, it's a coping mechanism) but to suggest it is wholly social with no psychological influence is going too far I think.
Original post by Anonymous
I do understand where you're coming from, as self harm has been adopted by various groups in recent times. The point I'm trying to make is that with alcohol, drugs and smoking there is a definite element of social influence in it. Most people start these things with others and this then can develop into negative behaviour for whatever reason. But with self harm, it's something a lot of people don't share with others. Whereas alcohol, drugs and smoking are promoted by many, self harm is looked down on by most in our society. If it is a behaviour looked down on, it's less likely that people will do it because of cultural influence; I know I've grown up with people saying self harm is stupid, ridiculous, attention seeking etc. That's not something people would wish to be classed as by others. Yes we know that others self harm, but this is rarely portrayed in a positive light and so it's not logical that it would be replicated, unless someone was desperate for help or release.

I think it is an interesting topic, and I'm not really arguing that there is no social influence whatsoever but I feel that Unoriginal- made his point rather insensitively in his first post. He said it's not a mental illness (which it isn't, it's a coping mechanism) but to suggest it is wholly social with no psychological influence is going too far I think.

Yeah I agree with your argument completely. It's trying to distinguish whether self harming could come under social influence, but I do believe that self harming can be categorised under a mental/psychological issue.

The whole concept of self harming itself is not the mental illness; that is inflicting the emotions are kept hidden. Those feelings could be regarded as the mental illness, as I'm assuming that someone would only self harm if they were feeling at their lowest peak.

Alcoholism and self harming are completely different but they do have similarities like a way of coping with stress/problems in their daily lifes. I would say agree with you though, when you say it is a coping mechanism.
Reply 339
Sometimes I think I'm imagining it. I don't know if that's strange, probably. I've read a lot about it, and and now a part of me thinks I'm just "imagining" it.
Which makes no sense really.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending