The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Apologies if this seems like a stupidly facepalm-worthy question, but obstetrics is classed as a surgical specialty isn't it? Is it a particularly competitive branch?
I have totally just got into One Born Every Minute. Although so far I've managed to cry at the end of every episode :o:
Original post by felt_monkey
Apologies if this seems like a stupidly facepalm-worthy question, but obstetrics is classed as a surgical specialty isn't it? Is it a particularly competitive branch?

I think it's surgical, given that it's generally tied in with gynaecology, training-wise.
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
I have totally just got into One Born Every Minute. Although so far I've managed to cry at the end of every episode :o:

I made my boyfriend watch it last night and he subsequently had nightmares about all his female friends giving birth :rofl: Did you see the bit where her stomach literally flopped as the baby came out? He nearly vommed at that part :tongue:
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I made my boyfriend watch it last night and he subsequently had nightmares about all his female friends giving birth :rofl: Did you see the bit where her stomach literally flopped as the baby came out? He nearly vommed at that part :tongue:

Ahhh I'm on 4OD and I'm currently working my way through the second series - I'm on episode 3 :p:

And all his female friends? Surely he should be more frightened about you giving birth :wink:
I think it's surgical, given that it's generally tied in with gynaecology, training-wise.

Thanks. There's a Surgical Soc talk tomorrow evening, I'll pop along then. If we join we're given a surgeon to shadow :teeth:
Ahhh I'm on 4OD and I'm currently working my way through the second series - I'm on episode 3 :p:

And all his female friends? Surely he should be more frightened about you giving birth :wink:

He's quite keen for me to have babies. Preferably as soon as possible.

He's quite keen for me to have babies. Preferably as soon as possible.

Oh. Well then he shouldn't be so squeamish :p: And you should also remind of him of the career you're going to enter into :wink:
Oh. Well then he shouldn't be so squeamish :p: And you should also remind of him of the career you're going to enter into :wink:

I have!! His 'plan' is for me to have 3 or 4 kids in quick succession before returning to work. Thankfully he's quite happy to play house husband :smile:
Reply 1149
Original post by lekky
Love Adele
"Please rate some other members before rating this member again."
Reply 1150
It's not, it's separate (and so it ****ing should be!). Much of the knowledge and skills are shared with the surgeons but the training is entirely separate. http://www.rcog.org.uk/education-and-exams/postgraduate-training

It's surgical insofar that you're called Mr/Miss rather than Dr and do 'surgery' but it isn't technically a surgical speciality - it's part of Obs/Gyn. In fact, obstetrics is the more medical part of speciality.

It's relatively competitive, but not more so than other popular specialities and certainly less competitive than surgery.
I have!! His 'plan' is for me to have 3 or 4 kids in quick succession before returning to work. Thankfully he's quite happy to play house husband :smile:

Jesus this episode has the most annoying couple ever. All they say to each other is "I love you babe" and she keeps singing all the time, and moaning about how she wasn't allowed to have breakfast :rolleyes:
Reply 1153
Jesus this episode has the most annoying couple ever. All they say to each other is "I love you babe" and she keeps singing all the time, and moaning about how she wasn't allowed to have breakfast :rolleyes:

I remember that one :rolleyes: some of the couples on that programme are plain weird!
Original post by Renal
It's not, it's separate (and so it ****ing should be!). Much of the knowledge and skills are shared with the surgeons but the training is entirely separate. http://www.rcog.org.uk/education-and-exams/postgraduate-training

Original post by Captain Crash
It's surgical insofar that you're called Mr/Miss rather than Dr and do 'surgery' but it isn't technically a surgical speciality - it's part of Obs/Gyn. In fact, obstetrics is the more medical part of speciality.

It's relatively competitive, but not more so than other popular specialities and certainly less competitive than surgery.

Thanks very much, both of you.
Reply 1155
Some fat **** moaned at me the other day because i cancelled her operation - stupid cow had been spotted scoffing crisps for breakfast in the day surgery unit.
Original post by Renal

Original post by Renal
Some fat **** moaned at me the other day because i cancelled her operation - stupid cow had been spotted scoffing crisps for breakfast in the day surgery unit.

I've only ever seen nice patients so far. I'm not looking forward to coming across the more difficult ones :frown:
I've only ever seen nice patients so far. I'm not looking forward to coming across the more difficult ones :frown:

I reckon they cherry pick the patients we get to see early on so our poor fresher souls aren't tarnished.
Original post by Renal

I've told you the KFC story haven't I?
Reply 1159
Original post by Helenia
I've told you the KFC story haven't I?
Is it the one that ends in "...and there was KFC everywhere! :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending